Thread of interesting/unusual tops!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's never easy following Thunderdumper, but here's my humble entry..

2017 Studio Deluxe IV in Midnight Caribbean Blue. The wood seems like ripples in water and there is a darker blue rimburst around the edge..

But mine is just a ripple in the ocean next to @Bend'n'Slide !!! :wow:

His is a speed boat wake!!!! :run:

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
But mine is just a ripple in the ocean next to @Bend'n'Slide !!! :wow:

His is a speed boat wake!!!! :run:

OK, I hear ya a-callin'...! :rofl:

I saw this thread and meant to post something. Here ya go:

View media item 109795

View media item 109790

View media item 109791

2014 Standard (premium quilt) in Ocean Water. They came in Honey Burst, Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Ocean Water and Rootbeer. Strangely, the tops on the guitars chosen for the pics on the Gibson webpage aren't all that interesting -- I've seen far better examples with crazy figured quilt maple in the wild (although I've never seen another one anything like mine). Whichever guy at Gibson picked the wood for this one was either very clever or very lucky -- and I want to thank him!

I really must take some new photos of this thing; apologies to everyone who has seen these same media gallery pics rolled out before (!).

MusiKfir

Reaction score
OK, I hear ya a-callin'...! :rofl:

I saw this thread and meant to post something. Here ya go:

View media item 109795

View media item 109790

View media item 109791

2014 Standard (premium quilt) in Ocean Water. They came in Honey Burst, Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Ocean Water and Rootbeer. Strangely, the tops on the guitars chosen for the pics on the Gibson webpage aren't all that interesting -- I've seen far better examples with crazy figured quilt maple in the wild (although I've never seen another one anything like mine). Whichever guy at Gibson picked the wood for this one was either very clever or very lucky -- and I want to thank him!

I really must take some new photos of this thing; apologies to everyone who has seen these same media gallery pics rolled out before (!).
Oh man that is breathtaking! :wow:
You also need to thank your dealer for randomly picking this particular guitar from all other Gibson Ocean Water guitars in his stock. :applause:

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
:rofl:

Actually, I didn't have the budget for one of these when they were new in 2014 although I loved the look and this color more than all the others.

I bought this particular Lester used in 2018 for half the original price. It was an eBay find and I went to collect in-person and check it out. It was an absolute case-queen and barely used by a guy who was primarily a bass player.

It's definitely a bit of a one-off and it really does look like you're on a beach, looking down through water onto the sand below. Darrell is right, there's a bit of a boat-wake effect coming off the end of the neck and spreading out past the pups and the bridge. Crazy top. More importantly, a lovely guitar to play!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rofl:

Actually, I didn't have the budget for one of these when they were new in 2014 although I loved the look and this color more than all the others.

I bought this particular Lester used in 2018 for half the original price. It was an eBay find and I went to collect in-person and check it out. It was an absolute case-queen and barely used by a guy who was primarily a bass player.

It's definitely a bit of a one-off and it really does look like you're on a beach, looking down through water onto the sand below. Darrell is right, there's a bit of a boat-wake effect coming off the end of the neck and spreading out past the pups and the bridge. Crazy top. More importantly, a lovely guitar to play!
That's too funny!

Mine was also a case queen owned by a bass player who traded it in for some bass gear :laugh2:

They can say what they want about bass players, but they take care of their stuff.

Ymmv

Latest Threads