Thoughts? point to point handwired single channel 1974x

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hi guys ive come across this hand built amp. its from the toronto area chassis and cab built by tony texiera of tex amps and the assembly and wiring done by guru martin newall.

its got a weber ferromax 12f150 speaker (not familiar with weber, apparently a chicago jensen c12n replacement)

the trem circuit is footswitchable.

12ax7s for preamp and tremolo 2 el84 power and 1 ez81 rectifier.

what are your thoughts? what kind of value would something like this have?

Big John

bend the note up a half, turn head, cough
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a few small digs against it: logo placement is too low, speaker choice should've been Celestion-voiced, and the speaker wire is too long (it'll get in the way if you put stuff in the back). Otherwise, it looks like a darn good build.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Looks cool. It's not technically "point to point", but it is handwired, and it looks good.
What it's worth is hard to say. What's he asking? I'd go $1200 on it or so, but I'm not good at that kind of stuff.

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
how hard would it be to reposition that logo?

the speaker wire is long because it is run with an attenuator, (weber 25w) which will be included in the trade deal

i got some sound clips today and i gotta say she sounds damn good.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Seems a strange speaker choice simply because the Greenback is such an integral part of the 1974x's signature tone.

However, if it sounds good, it is good. :)

Big John

bend the note up a half, turn head, cough
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
how hard would it be to reposition that logo?...
Removing it depends on how it's attached: glued, pegged, or both. And how it's attached will determine how much evidence will be left behind in the old location. I've destroyed so many logos over the years, and half of those I should've just left alone.

sonar

Reaction score
I like it.

BUT it's still a clone, or a deviation of a clone which is really a clone, or maybe its half of a clone of an original... you get the idea.

Either way, resale is never high on clones. Amateur builders almost always lose money if they sell, and very few independent builders with a reputation can charge a piece like this for profit.

Personally I wouldn't offer more than $600 USD, which is still $100-$200 less than what I would invest in a build like this.

I love everything about the DIY clone phenomena, except for resale. These amps are meant to be built and played, not sold for profit.

flyswatter

Reaction score
The amp is cleanly built by somebody who knows what they are doing. Speaker choice aside, that is something easily modified if you get it for a decent price. As somebody says, resell is a hard row to hoe with clones -- so be sure you are likely to keep it.

My only beef is with the logo -- not the placement of it. The countfeiting of "Marshall" is something to be discouraged -- in the same way Chinese Chibsons with Gibson logos should be discouraged.

Gridlock

Reaction score
I bought my 1974x used for under $1400. It is in pretty nice condition.

I would think that a used clone amp would go for $600-$800 max.

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
picked it up today. got it for 850 CAD with a weber attenuator. guy tossed in a decent speaker cable with neutrik ends as well. its got a green back in it now.

all i have is adjectives. warm, natural, thick, raw. gritty, responsive, touch sensitive,woody, perfect breakup.

i love it so far. was after something that was gonna give me more kossoff tones and needless to say, my lester loves it.

quite the step from the marshall sl5.

marshallmellow

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new amp.

Seems like a decent price, considering I paid $2400 for my Marshall 1974X new back in 2006.

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah up here in canada a new marshall 1974x goes for 3400

KP11520

Reaction score
Nice score! Congrats on finding a great deal.

I feel...... Envy! LOL

Latest Threads