Thoughts on this fretboard?

ARandall

Reaction score
That looks "lizard-scale-ish". Like your fingertip is about to catch a rosewood splinter. I'm with mudface. Return it.
Have you ever seen any of your own rosewood boards you've bought (or any other wood for that matter) do something like this??

I've not really had enough wood stocked/in storage to get to the point where I get a few bad boards in the mix.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
This is nowhere near as good as the 2 Gibson USA's I bought recently. And I ended up returning one of them given factory flaws.

Return it. I agree with the gentleman here... looks like the rw was cut in the wrong direction, not sanded properly...
For reference, here is how my LP std 60s' looks like (and is a guitar $500 cheaper)

1618981558904.png

This kind of grain feathering can be caused by a number of things...........one is cut against the grain with a dull blade.... little to no sanding after its cut.... over moisturizing with oil or water..... regardless, the only fix is to sand it smooth..... with the frets already installed it's a delicate time consuming job.

Return it.

View attachment 532347

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen any of your own rosewood boards you've bought (or any other wood for that matter) do something like this??

I've not really had enough wood stocked/in storage to get to the point where I get a few bad boards in the mix.
No, buddy.. I haven't. Ever. And I have had a ton of board stock over the years, and never have I seen anything like that.

Bolivian, Brazilan, Indian.. Never like that. It looks like reptile skin.

The Dutchman

Reaction score
That looks pretty normal to me for Gibson USA stuff, my 2013 Traditional is similar, but not as dark. A good tech could to a light sanding for you to smooth the feel. How much does your Slash weigh? I've got the same guitar inbound, I'll check out my fretboard when it arrives.
It weighs roughly 4.3kg or 9.5lbs. Beautiful guitar, except that fretboard....shame. Once I've been to the store I'll circle back.

Wright63

Reaction score
My 2020 Wildwood series Les Paul looks the same. I opted to keep it. Doesn’t affect playability or tone and I love the top.
It damn sure does suck that a $3k guitar comes like this tho. I’ve seen WAY better rosewood fretboards on Asian imports.

Attachments

The Dutchman

Reaction score
My 2020 Wildwood series Les Paul looks the same. I opted to keep it. Doesn’t affect playability or tone and I love the top.
It damn sure does suck that a $3k guitar comes like this tho. I’ve seen WAY better rosewood fretboards on Asian imports.
Very nice top indeed! Must say you're right about playability and tone...

About those Asian imports (in my case all guitars are imports btw :hmm:); that's what bugs me a little because my 2002 Epiphone has such a nice fretboard...Of course it has seen 20 years of use (and good rosewood was maybe easier to source at that time) but still, the Gibson is 4x the price...

goodguy

Reaction score
My 2020 ES-335 has a “rough” board straight from the factory... dry too. It’s feels noticeable but not terrible - Gibson has a tendency to leave tool marks on their boards (probably a poor production process they never fix). Interestingly, Phil McKnight of Know Your Gear had the exact same comment on his video or his new 335. I guess I will eventually give it a light steel wool sanding/oil next time I change strings.
You will never see this on ANY PRS guitar (I think PRS has much more refined production process than Gibson).
My 2020 ES-335 pictures next to my 2017 PRS McCarty 594 (they both need an oiling but you can see how much more refined the PRS board is - perhaps a better quality of rosewood too).

DFA830C3-C3A8-47D7-B895-29BCD7F70709.jpg

Last edited:

DBDM

Reaction score
Honestly, I think it all depends on you and how you are wired. If you are the tinker type--smooth it out yourself. some guys are tinkerers and when they get everything perfect (to them) they really bond with that guitar. Others do not wish to tinker (at all) and want to buy it stock and perfect. All depends on you and how much you like the guitar (other than the fretboard). On one hand there is no reason you should have to fix it and the store will exchange it. On the other hand--for likely less effort than going to the store and picking out another/waiting for a repair or getting a replacement and getting it set up to your liking--you can make that one perfect yourself (assuming you think it is great otherwise). Your choice. Personally, I would likely return it.

Reaction score
Someone didn't replace their divots.
Can you feel those low spots when playing?

zdoggie

Reaction score
if you dont feel comfortable with your purchase by all means return it,this show some of the flaws that gibson let slip through the final inspection!

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I'll be damned if I'll pay $3000 for a guitar with a board like that. Either scrape it down, or return it. I'll bet if you return it, you'll find one you like even better!

Wise Guy

Reaction score
My American made Mockingbird has the same exact issue. And for the price of one of those, definitely should not have came like that.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This kind of grain feathering can be caused by a number of things...........one is cut against the grain with a dull blade.... little to no sanding after its cut.... over moisturizing with oil or water..... regardless, the only fix is to sand it smooth..... with the frets already installed it's a delicate time consuming job.

Return it.

View attachment 532347

This scaly fret board mystifies me, actually.

It's supposed to be Indian rosewood, yes?

I've done so many IRW boards, I can't count how many.

None of them were scaly, even in raw form.

I radius them with 120, sand them smooth with 220, then hit them with steel wool.

20210422_182125.jpg

It's not rocket science.

Now, Gibson may use a jig to power-cut a radius in the board, but a couple of minutes with some sandpaper..

I just don't get how that scaling is possible.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does Gibson do the fretboard radius with PLEK or by hand?
Voices could tell you first-hand, But I think they use a jig that's like a cradle.

Edit: I just saw neck shaped, several at one time with a giant CNC pin router, all automated and computer-controlled.

So I'd reckon the fret board radius is done the exact same way, which would explain a lot as to the scales on some fret boards.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This scaly fret board mystifies me, actually.

It's supposed to be Indian rosewood, yes?

I've done so many IRW boards, I can't count how many.

None of them were scaly, even in raw form.

I radius them with 120, sand them smooth with 220, then hit them with steel wool.

View attachment 533304

It's not rocket science.

Now, Gibson may use a jig to power-cut a radius in the board, but a couple of minutes with some sandpaper..

I just don't get how that scaling is possible.
My guess is Dave.....and i'm only guessing here,....that a lot of these fretboards are ran through a planer of sorts kinda like a jointer maybe..so there isn't much hand work involved. These drum style blades have three or more blades on a drum that need constant attention to cut mass quantities of boards smooth.

Then follow that with some very little or weak sanding and these board end up looking like shit.

Mass production doesn't always equate quality work......

Or it could be the lumber itself..... or it was poorly cut from the source.

Whatever the cause,... it's a fail.......an expensive fail.

That is why all my recent guitars come from you Dave!

Last edited:

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
Voices could tell you first-hand, But I think they use a jig that's like a cradle.
Yeah, it's funny because that's what it looks like looking at the pictures. Really horrific.

But I remember when I was in the shop right before my surgery around August last year, I saw this gorgeous 345 so I picked it up. There were there horizontal straight lines all over the fretboard from first fret all the way to the last. Which made me think it must've been left from the PLEK machine.

Those straight lines I could live with. But not this. That's just my opinion.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
AHA! answer to my question in another thread.

I started a thread about some mystery tape underneath a fret board when I pulled it off, to replace it with a Braz board on an R8 I'm doing work on for forum mod @VictorB .

I watched a Gibson factory video that gave me the answers. It's an RFID tape so they can track it through the shop.

Mystery solved!

At 2:10

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
AHA! answer to my question in another thread.

I started a thread about some mystery tape underneath a fret board when I pulled it off, to replace it with a Braz board on an R8 I'm doing work on for forum mod @VictorB .

I watched a Gibson factory video that gave me the answers. It's an RFID tape so they can track it through the shop.

Mystery solved!

At 2:10
That is without a doubt something that the R9 over at the gear page don't have. I'm willing to bet on that.

Latest Threads