Thoughts on This "Fool Proof" Fret Crowning System

Roxy13

Reaction score
Right now I use tool B and haven't had an issue so I'm just going to watch some of these Katana vids and see what the deal is.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The Katana is surely interesting. I don't see that the SM one has any way to adjust it to the relief of the neck like the Katana does. I also have to say I went a little gaga over the LIttleBone crowning files as I find I am contorting myself every which way to get the upper frets of a Les Paul completely crowned :rofl: I would love to have his offset LittleBones and sent an inquiry about getting some. I am very used to using the SM offset Z file for the majority of my crowning although if (a) fret(s) is/are particularly low I find a triangular file does a much better job.

Elkoki

Reaction score
The Katana is surely interesting. I don't see that the SM one has any way to adjust it to the relief of the neck like the Katana does. I also have to say I went a little gaga over the LIttleBone crowning files as I find I am contorting myself every which way to get the upper frets of a Les Paul completely crowned :rofl: I would love to have his offset LittleBones and sent an inquiry about getting some. I am very used to using the SM offset Z file for the majority of my crowning although if (a) fret(s) is/are particularly low I find a triangular file does a much better job.
I'm still learning, but I leveled my first board the other day with a traditional leveling beam and I used the little bone to crown...I'm happy with the results. Still I wouldn't post any pictures of it because there's too many pro's here....

The little bone, to me seems like a good tool for a beginner . I understand the process of traditional crowning but I feel it's harder to screw up with the little bone. Maybe i'm wrong but it seems like a good starting tool to eventually help you step up to a traditional file.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm still learning, but I leveled my first board the other day with a traditional leveling beam and I used the little bone to crown...I'm happy with the results. Still I wouldn't post any pictures of it because there's too many pro's here....

The little bone, to me seems like a good tool for a beginner . I understand the process of traditional crowning but I feel it's harder to screw up with the little bone. Maybe i'm wrong but it seems like a good starting tool to eventually help you step up to a traditional file.
I like that it doesn't have a straight handle. I won't have to tuck the switch into the cavity or keep turning the guitar and/or files around. I wish I had enough room to keep my work bench away from the wall so I could walk all the way around it, but I don't.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it all depends what standard of quality are you aiming for.
For me, the quality this guy gets is the bottom of the barrel. I'm talking the rotten barrel I put manure in.
I'm sure for him it looks awesome, but this guy is certainly not detail oriented or even able to discriminate quality work. I can not stand this kind of work, it makes me cringe and it enrage me. I despise this kind of work with every atoms of my body... look at the way he levels the fret at the beginning !!! come on ! Some people go to jail for less than that !
He certainly did thousands of fret works just as shitty but that doesn't make him a master of his crap.
It is certainly good enough for low budget guitars aimed for beginners, that's why he gets away with it.
Have you seen his other video, where he sand down the saddle AND the bridge to lower the action of an acoustic guitar ?!!

He sand the frets with 320 sandpaper, this is what I use for fret leveling... then he sand the fretboard with 320 ! what a massacre and then he hides the scratches by drowning the fretboard with lemon oil. I literally finish the fretboard with >1500 or even >2500 for ebony before installing the frets.

That being said, you can get amazing results with just a few super simple tools, it all depends how you approach your craft. If you have the right attitude and always want to improve your techniques and results you will get better and better with practice.
I'm all for tools that make a job easier.
The problem is, a quality job *can't* be done by this tool.
The geometry is wrong.
The frets are convex.
The rods on the tool are convex.
No matter what you do, the tool will "peak" the frets... maybe nice if you're trying to shave your knuckles.

My Les Paul Classifieds