Thoughts on this 2016 R8?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up this 2016 R8. I want to confirm that it looks to be what it says - and there's nothing fishy about it. I noticed the pickup selector cover isn't the "Gibson Custom" - but I don't know if they include a black one because I've never owned a custom! Any thoughts on her would be appreciated!

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks legit from what I can see. These usually come with two switch covers - an engraved one and a plain one.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Legit. The fancy badge is either in the case or was sold separately.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
You're good with that one. Shipped with both switch covers, prolly in the case same as mine. That year's R8 neck carves were my favorite necks of any CS LP I ever played. Hope it works out.

That serial # is relatively close to my R8, let me know if you want some setup specs.

Last edited:

ChuckHall03

Reaction score
Yes both switch covers are typically included when bought new. However, some people do sell them off as previously mentioned. Some postings I’ve seen for those for sale have been surprisingly high dollar amounts. I keep the engraved badge on mine usually, but swap to the black from time to time. I have a 2016 R8, but it’s their TH line so some differences there. However, I played a ton of 16 R8s before I landed on this one. Certainly looks legit, good playing guitars if you find one that fits you well! There can be noticeable differences between any two from that production year in terms of feel as could be expected. If it feels like a keeper then snag it!

el84ster

Reaction score
Looks good!
I have a 2016 R8 and I’ll confirm what was said above about neck feel, really good!
My 2016 is the best electric I’ve ever played.

If it’s anytilong like mine, don’t let that get away!!

Reaction score
Dern Purdy! How's she play?
Well - I bought it - but I don't know yet. It will arrive on Friday! I just - like last week bought the two in my signature (Standard 2020 and Traditional 2016), so I realized I could buy this one, and save about $1000 over the two guitars. Granted, I would have one guitar - but if it was better, then it might be a better decision. So I did buy it - and I'll be excited to see it on Friday and report back!

el84ster

Reaction score
Looking forward to the report.
I’d always rather have a great guitar than several ok guitars.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Congrats! You'll love it. Get a set of strings ready and we look forward to your NGD thread.

kakerlak

Reaction score
That one looks like it might have a particularly nice fretboard. It's at least super dark, which some folks go nuts about.

Reaction score
I did learn that this guitar has an RS Guitar Works vintage wiring kit....whatever that means.

guitardon

Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up this 2016 R8. I want to confirm that it looks to be what it says - and there's nothing fishy about it. I noticed the pickup selector cover isn't the "Gibson Custom" - but I don't know if they include a black one because I've never owned a custom! Any thoughts on her would be appreciated!

Does the R8 in the serial number indicate a chambered model. I thought I read that on the forum. Also I don’t think they have blank switch plates.

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The RS Guitar Works wiring kit is a definite upgrade and really opens up the tone. They are highly regarded and knowledgeable luthiers. I have their 50s pots and wiring in my R0.
Please give us a report on your R8!

Reaction score
The RS Guitar Works wiring kit is a definite upgrade and really opens up the tone. They are highly regarded and knowledgeable luthiers. I have their 50s pots and wiring in my R0.
Please give us a report on your R8!
It's a fantastic guitar. FANTASTIC. It's lighter than I'd like - that I can say. The 2020 Standards pickups are a little hotter than these - which I believe these (on the R8) will be a little closer to the 57 classics that was in my 2016 Traditional. The finish is VOS and is just unbelievable. Additionally - I don't know how to describe it, or if this is even due to the VOS finish, but the R8 has just a different "feel' the standard does. It's quieter than the 2020 Standard. For some reason, the pickups on it just seem louder than everything else I have.

Here are some photos, once I get a decent day, we'll get some glamour shots! Additionally - if anyone believes this IS a Chambered model, please let me know!

DanD

Reaction score
That's a beautiful R8.

2016 is a one off year for nomenclature. TH models were serialized 8 1234 like any other year. But dealers couldn't sell most customers on the TH upcharge. Thru 2015 Gibson continued to crank out reissues w/ '14 serial numbers and THs w/ '15 serial numbers.

For '16 Gibson didn't want to keep producing '14 serial numbers so the just added the R in front of the reissue year to denote the difference between a '14 spec reissue and a TH model.

Halfway thru '17 Henry had a fit and all the reissue nomenclature was trashed and Gibson made 'LP Standards'. Although most dealers still called them reissues. Very confusing at best.

Basically the 'R' model '16s are just '14 spec reissues. In '17 the LP Standards got the TH plastics, pup covers and rolled binding but did not get the double carve tops and necks or the wet sanded finish.

Clear as mud?

Latest Threads