Thoughts On The PRS John Mayer Silver Sky

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I saw this and got really excited about it, started looking at prices and videos about it as well as reviews and comments.

I went to GC to give it a try with every anticipation of picking one up possibly, where it was not as bright as a Strat at all. But overall, I still think it felt thin and a bit lifeless for 2k.

Has anyone else purchased or played one yet?

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I find most PRS guitars feel “sterile” in my hands, unlike Fender, Gibson, or ESP. Could be my hands...
I feel the same way - nicely made guitar, but I feel they lack character somehow.
Friend has a Silver Sky, and thinks it's brilliant. Haven't played it myself though!

moreles

Reaction score
It's a good, moderately high-end Strat. On these boards, there's a large contingent of people who are obsessed with what companies are marketing, and who get caught up gassing based on pictures and hype -- concepts and ideas, not so much musical thinking. The Silver Sky is, IMO, completely as anyone who knows guitars would expect, no less, and no more. There's nothing magical about it, and for the exceptional features present, there are mediocre and even some undesirable elements, too. I'm glad the silly consumer frenzy is over. I like Mayer and like PRS very much, but I'm not buying a Silver Sky because while it's reasonably worth the money, I don't really want one. It's certainly not that great a guitar for me, and now that the hoopla has died off, I think it is, more and more, just another good guitar. For $2K, a used CS Strat will always be my choice, by far, over a SS. No question.

jtees4

Reaction score
I don't generally use words like "no mojo", but for me, it is true for three different PRS's I've had, two SE's, one USA. Beautiful workmanship and quality. Lacking something.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I played one at the Philly show last weekend.

Not a fan...

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Played on at GC about a month ago.

While it was a good guitar, it couldn't come anywhere close to the tones available on my '15 Suhr Classic Pro SSH or the custom Stat I had built for my son for his birthday.

I bought the Suhr used for $1340, and my son's Custom SSH Strat for $2K.

I know the SK is an SSS instead of an SSH, but to me that's part of the problem for ME.

I do own classic Fender SSS Strats, but they're by far my least favorite of my Strat guitars.

I favor my Strats with a Humbucker in the bridge

I really feel the SK is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overhyped and too expensive
for the asking price.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I like my LP's much better as well as my Gretsch which I think is a lot nicer.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I'm not a Strat guy at all but I played one and really liked it.

I love my PRS DGT. Wonderful guitars.

Latest Threads