Thoughts on the Gibson LP Studio Tribute?

Hardwired

Reaction score
It's a Gibson USA but it's the entry level. Interested in a P90 LP and haven't had a real Gibson in a long while. I wish the finish was a gloss white and black not the thin satin look. The natural or GC SE look better to me.

How is the neck finish and feel?
Usually use a mahogany neck but hese have maple?

Saw the Gibsons have dried up thread. The ones that are coming in how's the quality?

Is it worth rhe premium over the Epi LP Special - i like the TV yeller.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
If you like the look and feel of a worn LP get it. The old ones were great! If you like the look of a new LP better get the Epi.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have a 2017 tribute GT and a 2020 epi special in yeller.they are pretty damn close in terms of playability,fit and finish but if you want it to be shiny forever get the epi.FWIW you could have an epi LP and the special for the price of a tribute,or the special and a fender xd 15 tube amp /modeler.

Sinster

Reaction score
Define "entry" level? It might be a "base" model. The quality won't be any different from other models. You might have QC issues like the other models.

If the faded bothers you now it will bother you once you get it. Get the Yellow Epiphone.. if the headstock bothers you because it doesn't have Gibson, then keep looking.

Last edited:

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
I have the Special Tribute that has a satin finish, love the way the neck feels. You could also polish it out a bit to get a glossy finish.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Gibson USA but it's the entry level. Interested in a P90 LP and haven't had a real Gibson in a long while. I wish the finish was a gloss white and black not the thin satin look. The natural or GC SE look better to me.

How is the neck finish and feel?
Usually use a mahogany neck but hese have maple?

Saw the Gibsons have dried up thread. The ones that are coming in how's the quality?

Is it worth rhe premium over the Epi LP Special - i like the TV yeller.
I don't consider those entry level.... they are just less bling, the bones and soul of a Gibson LP are still there.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No binding. No fancy finishes. Etc.

'Entry Level' is bullshit other than they're priced cheaper...

I've yet to hear binding and I have Lesters from old Custom down...nor have I heard finishes, etc.

A Lester is a Lester. It plays or it doesn't .... If I was all about fancy looks, might be something other than Gib. One of the best I've played was an old ugly ass brown hog slab Lester with P90s... Ugliest Lester I've played. No fancy nuttin... Opposite. I would have paid anything if bud would have sold it to me...

I have a first run Hwy 1 Strat among my Am Ultra Noiseless S-1, Am Dlx SCN S-1, etc.. You'd have more luck talking me out of one of the Fender flagship guitars than the old plain Jane Hwy 1...

Guitars are far guitarin'.... Egos are for something else...

Max Max

Reaction score
I have a Studio in worn brown. It plays and sounds great. I like the way it looks, but something I did expect is how much people, who don't play guitar, like the way it looks. My wife, my parents, my wife's parents, they all commented about what a nice looking guitar it is. I've had many guitars come and go through the years and I never had a reaction like that from people, who for the most part, really don't know what they're looking at. There is beauty in the simplicity of it.
I've had Epiphones but there is just something special about owning a Gibson Les Paul. Like my Martin acoustic guitar, my Les Paul is more than an instrument, it's a family heirloom, I hope to pass it down to my kids someday.

Attachments

gball

Reaction score
They are definitely not lesser guitars. And you could look at the maple neck as a bonus - I sure do. Some of the best Les Pauls I have owned have had maple necks.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an sg 50s trin...

love It...modded to a high degree

Lesters are awesome regardless of model...but now may be a time to be patient if u want shiny and binding...imho

-chris

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
So I got the P90 wraptail version awhile ago. I definately like the satin finish, the fat neck and its maple glory. What I don't like that much are those overwound P90s - too bright, less growl. I may put the blame on the pc board in the electrics cavity, which I will change soon to a traditional wiring harness ...with a twist. I WANT OoP so I'll istall one push/push (or two, if I find time to convert thoses P90s to 4-wire cables). That said rest assured, I would'nt do all this without this guitar to sound wonderful played dry.

Grab one!

Hardwired

Reaction score
Saw that PCB electronics and was wondering about that. Tribute seems more edgy than the regular $1600 Msrp TV Special.

Looking at the disassembly reviews they show two different labeled pickups, lead and rhythm I think. Gibson just sells one P90 pickup accessory for upgrades, but use two different pups in the P90 LPs?

What's up with the Guitar Centers and the Chapter 11? Worried if I order something might lose a deposit or end up with a store closure headache. With the Gibson stock dried up I guess layaway is out of the question and the sales aren't discounting? That GC limited edition Special Tribute looks interesting.

Seems like supply chain and other employees that ran the biz are gone since the bankruptcy filing and the COVID challenges screwed them because no one reacted and planned accordingly.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I think Tributes are great guitars. I kept a Tribute at the rehearsal space that was shared with different musicians. It turned into the house guitar, and always received compliments on looks and sound. I did a couple gigs with it even, and it was great. Mine was loud and fairly bright sounding.

I have said this before on here, and I know that price discussion is subjective, but I do feel they are now overpriced at $1200. My advice is to look for a used one in good condition for $800 to $850.

Wrench66

Reaction score
So I got the P90 wraptail version awhile ago. I definately like the satin finish, the fat neck and its maple glory. What I don't like that much are those overwound P90s - too bright, less growl. I may put the blame on the pc board in the electrics cavity, which I will change soon to a traditional wiring harness ...with a twist. I WANT OoP so I'll istall one push/push (or two, if I find time to convert thoses P90s to 4-wire cables). That said rest assured, I would'nt do all this without this guitar to sound wonderful played dry.

Grab one!
Saw that PCB electronics and was wondering about that. Tribute seems more edgy than the regular $1600 Msrp TV Special.

Looking at the disassembly reviews they show two different labeled pickups, lead and rhythm I think. Gibson just sells one P90 pickup accessory for upgrades, but use two different pups in the P90 LPs?

What's up with the Guitar Centers and the Chapter 11? Worried if I order something might lose a deposit or end up with a store closure headache. With the Gibson stock dried up I guess layaway is out of the question and the sales aren't discounting? That GC limited edition Special Tribute looks interesting.

Seems like supply chain and other employees that ran the biz are gone since the bankruptcy filing and the COVID challenges screwed them because no one reacted and planned accordingly.
The PCB isn’t going to make it more “edgy” than traditional wiring. I would recommend a pickup height adjustment.

Of course, some pickups are simply brighter than others, but adjust the height before any mods.

whatshisname

Reaction score
I love my 2020 Tribute! It doesn't feel like a step down from my others in any way.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
I think Tributes are great guitars. I kept a Tribute at the rehearsal space that was shared with different musicians. It turned into the house guitar, and always received compliments on looks and sound. I did a couple gigs with it even, and it was great. Mine was loud and fairly bright sounding.

I have said this before on here, and I know that price discussion is subjective, but I do feel they are now overpriced at $1200. My advice is to look for a used one in good condition for $800 to $850.
I bought a 70s Tribute, new, in 2012 for $530.00 shipped. Sounds great and feels great.
THAT was a good buy but $1,200 for a Studio. Yep, agree, used.

Latest Threads