Thoughts on the cheaper Les Paul 1960 pg. 129 reissue?

zaqintosh

Reaction score
I've been preparing myself to fork over too much money on a reissue. Likely a 1960s because I'm fearful of an uncomfortably fat neck.

The "True Historic" price seemed hard to justify when the "Standard historic" at $6.5k was comparatively a huge savings, giving up a few things that I'm not sure matter to me (accurate plastics and longer neck joint?).

Until I noticed this even cheaper one that seems to be a Guitar Center exclusive? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom/1960-Les-Paul-Figured-Top-Reissue-Electric-Guitar-PG-129.gc

Seems like a great deal for a brand new reissue... is there a catch here? How would this one difffer from the standard historic? Also is this super limited? If I blink will these run out of stock?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

ARandall

Reaction score
How about a s/h R0.

If that one is more modern specs and with a short tenon then maybe a 2013 type era one with all the right elements might be an alternative.
And the TH still didn't have the right plastics - it was the most glaring omission TBH.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice R0 , imo it's a 2014(from the serial #) , so it wont have any of the 2015+ upgrades , which imo wont make any difference you'll notice . The GC R0 runs are 1st rate R0's with everything anyother R0 has/gets . Less the More flammy top . That's something of personal choice if you like it or not . Same Exact guitar as any other 2014 R0 .
If you buy from any Dealer and PAY MAP ,,, You really should look at other dealers . Paying MAP is not a must do , unless ,it's a guitar YOU MUST HAVE because of the top or customizations . I paid less then the MAP for 2017 R0 for my 2015 TH60 . Shopping around can pay off .... Dealing with a Shop and being known to them as a repeat customer will be to your advantage ....
I smell a NGD soon :cheers:

zaqintosh

Reaction score
Nice R0 , imo it's a 2014(from the serial #) , so it wont have any of the 2015+ upgrades , which imo wont make any difference you'll notice . The GC R0 runs are 1st rate R0's with everything anyother R0 has/gets . Less the More flammy top . That's something of personal choice if you like it or not . Same Exact guitar as any other 2014 R0 .
If you buy from any Dealer and PAY MAP ,,, You really should look at other dealers . Paying MAP is not a must do , unless ,it's a guitar YOU MUST HAVE because of the top or customizations . I paid less then the MAP for 2017 R0 for my 2015 TH60 . Shopping around can pay off .... Dealing with a Shop and being known to them as a repeat customer will be to your advantage ....
I smell a NGD soon :cheers:
Thanks for the info, very helpful. How much of a discount did you get on your r0 and true historic r0 ? I can at least have some data point I can use to bargain. Are you in the USA ?

Pythonman

Reaction score
I have always liked the G0s as they are known. The more recent flamey bourbon bursts with reflector knobs are the best yet.

Herb Utsmelz

Reaction score
I had one from this specific run (buddy has it now) and it was a great guitar with all the normal '15 Historic appointments aside from a G0 serial. My local GC also still has theirs which is also a decent guitar but in need of a setup. There's even a nice looking one for sale on TGP at the moment.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When did GC start doing Sweetwater's thing, posting pics and weights of particular serial numbers?

Dilver

Reaction score
Buy used. I saw an r7 sell on CL this weekend for $2000.

I saw a 59 go on TGP for around $3500.
Could not agree more - if you're patient, the right deal will present itself. Wow, that sounded very Zen. I guess I just have good Guitarma :doh:

zaqintosh

Reaction score
What's TGP? Sorry complete newb here :)
Aah I think this is "the guitar emporium". Call me old fashioned, but I would buy a guitar from a random person online. I prefer dealing with a retailer who can help me exchange or manage probs, help with warranty claims, etc. also need to try a guitar and don't trust that I'm good at recognizing a copy

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Contact a sponsor here if you're interested. No need to pay more if you don't have to imo.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
The guy wants a NEW R0 .. everything else , (with all respect for you guys) for 60's neck lovers is a waste of time (you may like Big fat necks ) .... He has some specs that he feels are a must for buying so , He will do what he feels ,works for him best . After all , it is his $$$ ... We all do that ...
Maybe if any of you 'al see a R0 (new) on the Left coast .. post it or PM him ...

OP, just read your last post .. If you posted pics of a guitar you were interested in , many here would /could be a big help to you .. There are some true "experts" among us.
I'm not 1 ,but I can spot a "good" LP on most days:laugh2: .
Many have been helped this way ... Next :fingersx:

zaqintosh

Reaction score
Hi folks! thanks for all of the help, I ended up finding a GC shop 40 miles from my house that had both the cheaper 60s R0 and new R9 "Standard historic" VOS in stock. I tried both and the R9 just felt higher quality to me. The washed finish was better, the guitar was lighter, the paint job was a bit better, and it felt at least 1 pound lighter than the 60s one. I ended up spending the extra money on the R9 (got a bit of a discount) :)

I was surprised how playable the 59 neck was, but I'm still getting used to it .. I can't tell if I'm actually less proficient on a 59 neck, or If it was a mental thing. But I've committed to getting used to it. Anyhow else here about 5"9 tall with average sized hands? How's the 59 neck profile work for you ? I don't shred, but I do play fast.

Latest Threads