Thoughts on Squire Basses?

sidious911

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I know Squire is the 'cheaper' fenders, but I'm curious on what people think of their basses.

I currently have an Epiphone Viola, which I picked up off a buddy who was selling it, just cause I wanted to try playing bass as well... I've grown to enjoy bass, but not the Viola, short scale was a nice way to kind of transfer from guitar to bass, but the overall feel of the viola just isn't my thing at all, especially when I pick up other basses in store.

I've always loved the Fender Jazz bass, simply beautiful, and love the feel of it, but a real fender jazz can get pricey quick! I'm really just a home player right now too for the enjoyment, and jam with someone here and there.

what are thoughts on something like this:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass - Natural - Long & McQuade Musical Instruments

Compared to..

Fender Musical Instruments Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass With Gig Bag - 3 Tone Sunburst - Long & McQuade Musical Instruments

Fender Musical Instruments Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass With Gig Bag - 3 Tone Sunburst - Long & McQuade Musical Instruments

Fender Musical Instruments American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass - Maple Neck In Natural - Long & McQuade Musical Instruments

I'm looking to sell off my Viola and not break the bank on a new bass, what are peoples thoughts?

Cheers

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got one of these. (In blue) It's a terrific bass for the money. I've had it for 3 years now and other than setting it up, I haven't changed a thing.

Squier Classic Vibe Precision '50s Bass Guitar | Musician's Friend

DV016_Jpg_Large_519743.001_butterscotch_blonde.jpg

0303080502v1_hi_Done-f8955a8cdeaaa04cf6e6741644f85da2.jpg

truckermde

Reaction score
IMHO, you've chosen the best bass offering from Squier. That bass has a maple body, the only maple body bass from Fender, if I'm not mistaken. I have a custom J bass I built with high end everything and THAT maple body.

You wouldn't need to change anything...

AccustomedtoStandards

Reaction score
Squier basses are typically of pretty good quality from what I've seen. I'm not crazy about the Affinity stuff (not a big fan of the Affinity guitars, either) but the Standards, VMs and Classic Vibes all seem nice.

I am not primarily a bass player, but fill in on a project where I play bass from time to time. I have a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass that I play in that project. The guy who plays guitar is actually a bass player and from time to time we've switched back to our "main" instruments and he likes my VM as much as his American Standard P from a playability and sound standpoint.

It may be cheaper in several ways, but it's definitely serviceable and that's with an umpteen piece Agathis body vs. the nice maple on the J you're looking at.

Mexicanbreed

Banned
Reaction score
Consider Ibanez as well...although I prefer Fender´s aesthetics.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My older bro played bass for over 40 years, a lot of it road. He's had countless basses, primarily Fender J's & P's.. The last couple of years of his life, out of the basses he had, he played a squier jazz 5 string on stage. He said it was one the best basses he'd ever played... (he had other J's and P's at home including 5's) He was extremely picky...

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Why active for bass, and I really prefer the fender jazz bass look, and the neck I love too which kind of brought me to this point

Louder, fuller-sounding, more EQ options. For recording, the active pups are a huge improvement over my former MIM P-Bass Jr. Also, check out the pup sound on the Squire first. Our former bass player had a Squire and a MIM P-Bass. The pups on the Squire were dull, quiet and lifeless by comparison.

sidious911

Reaction score
Louder, fuller-sounding, more EQ options. For recording, the active pups are a huge improvement over my former MIM P-Bass Jr. Also, check out the pup sound on the Squire first. Our former bass player had a Squire and a MIM P-Bass. The pups on the Squire were dull, quiet and lifeless by comparison.

For the price point, if the pups weren't all I hoped they would be (which from reviews on the specific bass I'm looking at, they seem they carry a decent sound), would I still be better off to get this bass, and throw in new pups down the road as opposed to throwing cash down now for a fender jazz (which would be much higher cost than just pickups, and would require money now).

The only recording I ever do really is just through Guitar rig 5, I throw ideas down and stuff like that, like i said, more just a player than an active stage musician. Just sick of the viola, and hate the feel of how it plays.

SGeoff

Reaction score
another vote for the vintage vibe series jazz. for the bucks its a killer.
maybe the maple body is a tad heavy, but it sounds and plays great.
and..I sit the eff down:laugh2:

sidious911

Reaction score
Cheers guys, worrying about the active pickups wasn't enough worry for me for the price point, or to switch models when I've just always loved the fender jazz bass style... it is like the Les Paul is to me for guitars, just beautiful!

Put an order in at a local shop for one, and provided it comes in and lives up to standards I found on the other colour they had in shop, I will have a new bass :D

theaxeman

Reaction score
I have one of the Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass - Natural, and it is a wonderful bass guitar. I play it through an Ampeg BA-115.

That's not just my opinion. I have had a couple of highly skilled bass players here and they had the same opinion.

One of them owns some extremely high dollar Fender basses, and his comment was, "I can't put this guitar down it sounds so good". :applause:

sidious911

Reaction score
I have one of the Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass - Natural, and it is a wonderful bass guitar. I play it through an Ampeg BA-115.

That's not just my opinion. I have had a couple of highly skilled bass players here and they had the same opinion.

One of them owns some extremely high dollar Fender basses, and his comment was, "I can't put this guitar down it sounds so good". :applause:

Makes me quite excited for the guitar to come in now!!

jppage25

Reaction score
I had a earlier squire p bass a while back it was OK i hear they are making them way better now so i might look at a jaguar bass if i see one.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I was going to pick up a cheap ($100) Squire bass off Craigslist when I get back from vacation, but the more I've been thinking I'm leaning towards an Epi thunderbird for about 200, simply because a t-bird is really what I've wanted for a while, just a little pricier.
I guess I'll just go to GC and try 'em out.

Sorry, that was long with no point........

Steven

Reaction score
If you could find a Squier Classic Vibe bass on the used market, I'm sure you'd be pleased.

(I'm a bassist)

sidious911

Reaction score
If you could find a Squier Classic Vibe bass on the used market, I'm sure you'd be pleased.

(I'm a bassist)

I didn't have much in a close location to me that appealed to me... one thing I really wanted (even though it is purely cosmetic) is block inlays, Dot inlays 95% of the time just don't do it for me... My strat has dot inlays, but other than that, traps on my Standard, block on my custom.

RockinOut247

Banned
Reaction score
My Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass was like new when I got it. It plays smooth, neck is great and it sounds wonderful. The only downside is the resale if you are getting rid of it. I got mine for 100 bucks and traded a boss pedal and dyna comp for it.

sidious911

Reaction score
My Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass was like new when I got it. It plays smooth, neck is great and it sounds wonderful. The only downside is the resale if you are getting rid of it. I got mine for 100 bucks and traded a boss pedal and dyna comp for it.

Yea, but when you buy a lower end guitar, you can't expect the resale value to be high, nor the value to rise over time. Kind of the same position I am in with my Epiphone Viola.. not a high end piece, and re-sale value isn't great for it.

Latest Threads