Thoughts on a Gibson LP Standard Mojave Burst 2018

finnles

Reaction score
I am being offered a LP Mojave burst 2018 for about 2000€ (about 2440 USD). Prices tend to be a little higher here in Europe. Any thoughts about this model and pricing? There is a small scratch in the back. And what about the neck profile?

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Pictures please. At that price also check for a neck / headstock repair.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the Standard lineup from 2008 to 2020 (Henry J. era) to me it seemed like the Standards changed drastically every year, with things getting wackier with every change. I’m not sure which happened and when. I wouldn’t decide based on a couple of photos.

Reactions: E.X

BDW60

Reaction score
To me, that finish was a bit of an oddball. But if you like it ... :)

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, sweet top.
Try it before you buy it.
Give her a good look-see. Fine tooth combs are in aisle 4.
Like it , buy it. Enjoy.
Beautiful guitar.

smk506

Reaction score
It’s not a finish I thought much of, but that example actually looks really nice. I agree that you should go try it and see if it’s a good one for you. Can’t speculate on pricing for Europe, but used gear is going for higher than normal prices right now. I doubt that will last forever so if you feel like you’re paying a premium you might be able to try to get a better price without worrying about undervaluing it.

pillbug

Reaction score
Pictures please. At that price also check for a neck / headstock repair.
I’m stalking this thread because I’m interested too.
Are you saying these should sell for over $2450 if no breaks or repairs?

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Actually checking around that's right in the ballpark for asking prices. I'd be good with the asking price, but play it and make sure it's a good one. If it's not local check the return policy.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Imperial

Reaction score
The list price for a 2018 Standard was just a little below 3000€ when new in Europe. They were quite expensive.

At a store, I once compared that to a 2019 Standard HP model, and would say that the HP model is the wacky one that I didn't like at all, whereas the regular 2018 Standard is actually not an oddball. It does have the locking tuners (good), compound radius fretboard (good for those bends) and push-pull pots (that offer hidden extra tones but are not in the way by any means). Otherwise it's just a very nice, playable LP. The asymmentric neck is not that different to a 60's slim taper, but everybody have their preference for necks anyway.

I'd say 2000€ is a good deal for that guitar. Remember that it's not the same guitar as the new Standards, so you can't directly compare them price-wise.

Last edited:

Latest Threads