Thoughts and opinion on a 2012 Gibson R8

PJfan1986

Reaction score
Hello All;

My first post and I'm turning to the experts for some guidance. I've got an opportunity to make a deal for a 2012 Gibson R8 Iced Tea VOS. The seller has it priced at $3800 CAD (2915 USD).

He's also interested in doing a trade for my 2010 Gibson SG 61 Reissue. The deal is $2300 CAD ($1764 USD) for the R8 plus my SG.

The only problem is I heard about the 2-pieced laminated fret board issue with the 2012s.

Wondering what you guys think of the deal? Any major issues with these 2012s? Is it definitely a year to avoid? I'll definitely try out the guitar before I make any decisions but wanted your expert opinions on the matter.

Let me know your thoughts!

rogue3

Reaction score
Hello All;

My first post and I'm turning to the experts for some guidance. I've got an opportunity to make a deal for a 2012 Gibson R8 Iced Tea VOS. The seller has it priced at $3800 CAD (2915 USD).

He's also interested in doing a trade for my 2010 Gibson SG 61 Reissue. The deal is $2300 CAD ($1764 USD) for the R8 plus my SG.

The only problem is I heard about the 2-pieced laminated fret board issue with the 2012s.

Wondering what you guys think of the deal? Any major issues with these 2012s? Is it definitely a year to avoid? I'll definitely try out the guitar before I make any decisions but wanted your expert opinions on the matter.

Let me know your thoughts!
i had to wrap my mind around that for a bit.no. Your 61 Gibson SG Reissue is a fine guitar i think(?).

you are trading up a fine guitar...for another fine guitar, but you don't have a guitar to play unless you add another 1764$...?.

not an expert in these exchanges...but i don't see the advantage of trading a great guitar,for another...but you still have to pony up 1764$ to have a fine Gibson fretboard to play on. am i missing something here?

add: and hey...hullo!...welcome to the world of electric guitar...and Les Paul details,MLP.:dude:

Last edited:

PJfan1986

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the 61 Gibson SG Reissue is a great guitar but the R8 is a custom. I don't think the 61 is a custom (just production line). The price difference is also obvious...$1500 CAD for a SG, $4000 for a Custom.

PJfan1986

Reaction score
Hey Rogue3...

Yeah so he's selling the guitar for $3800 CAD upfront. BUT wants to do a trade for my SG plus cash on my end.

So, essentially the deal is I give him my SG and $2300 CAD and I get the R8.

Thanks

PJfan1986

Reaction score
Yes I have. I recently bought a 2013 Gibson LP Traditional and love the chunky 58 neck. I also played a 2016 Gibson LP R8 that was incredible but was above my price point.

Thanks

rogue3

Reaction score
Hey Rogue3...

Yeah so he's selling the guitar for $3800 CAD upfront. BUT wants to do a trade for my SG plus cash on my end.

So, essentially the deal is I give him my SG and $2300 CAD and I get the R8.

Thanks
i get that.no.jmho.ask a few others.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Yes I have. I recently bought a 2013 Gibson LP Traditional and love the chunky 58 neck. I also played a 2016 Gibson LP R8 that was incredible but was above my price point.

Thanks
If you want to trade 1 guitar for a guitar you've played and know to be great plush cash, go for it. $3K for a used R* is around the going price around these parts.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
your SG plus about 1800 USD? Sound like a raw deal to me for an R8. TOo much imho.

What may I ask concerns you so much about the bi-layered board? IMHO it's only an issue if you decide to sell it, as, (like you are questioning it yourself) that year has the asterisk next to it due to the board. It doesn't effect the playability or tone of it. I've played a few and even owned 2 2012 made reissues. I've not heard of anyone having any warranty issue such as the layers coming apart, and if so, Gibson should honor their warranty if that is the case.

If the R8 speaks to you, or any 2012 reissue, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

PJfan1986

Reaction score
your SG plus about 1800 USD? Sound like a raw deal to me for an R8. TOo much imho.

What may I ask concerns you so much about the bi-layered board? IMHO it's only an issue if you decide to sell it, as, (like you are questioning it yourself) that year has the asterisk next to it due to the board. It doesn't effect the playability or tone of it. I've played a few and even owned 2 2012 made reissues. I've not heard of anyone having any warranty issue such as the layers coming apart, and if so, Gibson should honor their warranty if that is the case.

If the R8 speaks to you, or any 2012 reissue, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Hmm, i figured it was a good deal. My SG, max, would fetch about $1000 USD. So $3200 for a R8 is not that far off the mark. As Gtarzan said, $3K is the going price for these (at least that's what my research shows).

BUT, that's why I'm here. I trust you guys and your feedback :).

Yeah my biggest issue with the 2012 was the bi-layered Fretboard. If you guys think it's not as a big deal as some people make it out to be, then I may definitely consider this deal.

Thanks

simon connor

Reaction score
Hey,

I have some thoughts, and will throw in the caveat that I am in no way an expert. I was trying to do something similar to you - I wanted an R0, and was trying to figure out the best way to get there. Guitar Center offered me $2800 in trade-in on my 2012 R9, and I would have spent another $3000 to get a new R0 from them. In the end I thought "I could just spend another $700 (over the $2700 trade in value) to get a used R0." And that's what I did. Now I have two very fine guitars! I think I'll probably sell the R9 eventually, because it turns out I prefer the R0 neck profile, but I got to have them both and do a comparison, and that was very useful to me. Maybe you could do something similar?

I would also be interested to know if the two-piece board thing really does serve to reduce price on the 2012s. There is a lot of speculation about it, but no one has any real hard data. My thought (and again, I am no expert) is that if it does affect resale price, it might be by a few hundred dollars. It won't make the 2012 R8 un-sellable, if it comes to that, but it might lower the price by a bit. And for what it is worth, my 2012 plays and sounds fantastic. Spectacular, even (but then it actually has a one-piece-board!)

I hope that's helpful.

bungle

Reaction score
Welcome to MLP! $1500 is not bad for the SG. You would have a time trying to sell it for that. Never been able to part with mine.(keeper) Depending on how it plays and looks I would be tempted to go for the deal, but then I love an R8. The finger board wouldn't bother me much unless i intended to sell it off. Maybe renegotiate a little. A couple hundred less then pounce. You would be paying roughly $3600 CAD as it is.

boola1

Reaction score
If you're worried about the laminated fretboard, you'd also probably worry about the 2012s being the year before they switched to hide glue for the neck joint and the vintage correct sleeveless trussrod.

I see a lot of 2012s for sale and not nearly so many 2013s. I assume the 2012s are harder to sell.

PJfan1986

Reaction score
If you're worried about the laminated fretboard, you'd also probably worry about the 2012s being the year before they switched to hide glue for the neck joint and the vintage correct sleeveless trussrod.

I see a lot of 2012s for sale and not nearly so many 2013s. I assume the 2012s are harder to sell.
Hello, haven't come across this...do you have any more info on that? Perhaps link to a separate thread?

I'm not too worried about historical 1958 accuracy. I just want a well built and good sounding guitar

Thanks

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
I have a 2012 R9 and its a exceptional guitar, I wouldn’t sweat the bi-layered fretboard..... never an issue with mine.

I also have a ‘61 USA reissue,.... it’s not a custom shop.... got mine for less than a $1K.

The 2012 R8 run about the same as a R7.... about $2500 USD..... a bit more if the R8 has a desirable color or flame.... in excellent original condition. Less if not original or less than excellent condition.

Of course any guitar is worth whatever you’re willing to pay..... for me the deal would be better if less cash was involved.

DanD

Reaction score
If you shop around with cash in hand you'll do much better.

I'd be looking for a '13 and up R. Not that the bi-layered board is an issue. It's only when you go to sell that it ever comes up.

However, in '13 Gibson went back to a non rubber covered truss rod and hide glue neck join. In '14 it was hide glue all over so '14 and up is a bit better still.

My thoughts, purely from playing many pre and post '13s, are that the newer old style truss rod makes a huge difference.

After my first '14 all the older Rs went on the block. My feeling is that newer is better in this case.

There are a lot of excellent Rs from all years out there. But I've found that the '13 and up models have been consistently better than the '12 and back Rs.

No flaming! Just my opinion.

I've also seen mint '14 R8s sell as low as $2550 US.

My as new '14 Benchmark Collection R9 was had for 3k US.

Time is on your side. Be patient and you'll come out ahead.

PJfan1986

Reaction score
All....thank you so much for the quick and detailed responses. I truly appreciate it.

I’ve seen several people mention that you can find post 2012 models for $2500 USD...questions is where? All of the prices on the 2012 alone are well above $3500 usd on Reverb and EBay.

Thanks

simon connor

Reaction score
All....thank you so much for the quick and detailed responses. I truly appreciate it.

I’ve seen several people mention that you can find post 2012 models for $2500 USD...questions is where? All of the prices on the 2012 alone are well above $3500 usd on Reverb and EBay.

Thanks
I think the answer to that question of "Where?" is "Here."

Also upon further reflection, I think if you trade him the SG and pay $1750 US for the R8 you're getting a pretty good deal. Or more to the point, you're getting what you want, ie, the R8, and saving yourself the hassle of trying to sell the SG to raise money for a different R8. That's worth quite a bit right there.

You are also wading straight into one of the debates that rages here on MLP. That debate is: Do the incremental changes that happened every couple years to the R-Series guitars actually make that much difference? Some say no, others emphatically say yes. What kind of gets lost in the debate is they are all pretty outstanding custom shop-built instruments. Different years have different qualities, and different "improvements," but many say you can't tell the difference anyway (again, others emphatically say you can.) And then there is also the "Is it vintage accurate" question...

I say if it's a nice guitar, and you like playing it, then go for it. You might lose a couple hundred over other R8s if you eventually decide to sell, but who cares? You'll have been playing a really nice guitar for however long you have had it.

A lot of the members here on MLP say that the bigger problem is that once you have one, before long you'll want another one! Some of these folks have like seven of them! I only have two...

Last edited: