Thoughts and opinion on a 2008 Gibson LP R8 (Maple Syrup Burst)

PJfan1986

Reaction score
All;

Sorry for another post but was hoping to engage this awesome forum on another opinion. Found a local sell who'd be willing to let this beauty go for $3900-4000 CAD ($2990 - $3067 USD). Now, I don't know much about these but it appears these are a limited run of 75 ever made. I'm attaching some photos.

Thoughts? Over priced? Any issues with these particular models?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
That’s pretty sweet - pun intended! :) No idea why it exists (is there some connection between Les Pauls and maple syrup, or is it just the color?), but I dig that Limited Edition stamp. Sorry that I don’t have any helpful info. Good luck!

simon connor

Reaction score
As far as I can tell the only year that people have an issue with is 2012, and that bothers me a little because I have one and it is awesome! That 2008 looks like a pretty nice guitar to me. There are many others on MLP that know more than me, though. One thing I have heard quite a lot is that you should always be able to talk the seller down 10-15% - that sellers kind of build that into the price. I do not know that to be true, but It's worth a try, anyway.

simon connor

Reaction score
Also, don't be sorry about posting. A lot of us seem to spend most of our time on MLP. All we ever do is discuss this stuff.

integra evan

Reaction score
Mmmm...I want some pancakes now.
Does it come with the maple syrup?
I've never heard of this specific limited edition. A normal 08 R8 plaintop would fetch around 2500-2600 USD. The fact it actually says limited edition and has the COA to prove it could add some value.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember when these came out, I like the Canadian Motif and love the color....
But in the end its an R8 plain top, So I guess its a matter of how much you like/love Canada and what it means to be from one of the coolest countries around.

I'm not Canadian, but I have been there many, many times.

If it comes with the syrup, then its at least a $2800 guitar....$3000 for the unopened bottle and a signed hockey puck by Tim Horton....eh?

none2low

Reaction score
Probably not the most desirable run of limited editions, given the serial number deviation and maple leaf.

Which on one hand could make for a tough re-sell if you decide to part ways with it in the future, but on the other hand being a limited edition does add some value

IMO $2800 would be the top end for me. But only if it included a side of Canadian bacon and a short stack.

vetteman

Reaction score
What a cool guitar! I'd pay a bit extra for the special edition over standard production, all else being equal. Though you will probably start referring to people as 'hosers', have cravings for back bacon and end every sentence with "eh?" :naughty:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
$2990 - $3067 USD
This will get you a 2013/newer flame top R8 shipped from the classifieds here every day of the week.

Do you live near the border? If so, you could have it sent to a US address and go pick it up. That will make shipping cost less, no brokerage fees, and you may get lucky and not pay tax coming back. Even with tax included, you'd still come out ahead.

I like that maple color but there is nothing special about that run unless you feel like paying a grand more for $3 worth of maple syrup.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Yeah $2600 US tops for that. And even then resale will largely be limited to Canadian buyers. UNLESS... you‘ve played it and it’s a truly amazing guitar that you just can’t live without. Tone trumps everything. :)

Go shopping in the Member Classifieds here on MLP. Much better deals.

BDW60

Reaction score
If it sounds and plays great, and if I were Canadian, I would probably spend 3K on it. I think there’s a cool factor there that adds a few hundred bucks over a run of the mill 2008 plain top.

PJfan1986

Reaction score
Update!

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. It looks like he won't budge. Dead set on $4500 CAD ($3450 USD). Judging from the comments on here it seems way too high. My question is...where the hell do you guys find the deals for $2300-$2600?! I'd buy one tomorrow if I'd find such a deal. I'm looking for the plain top anywhere from 2001 to present and I cant find shit. EVERYTHING on Reverb is above $4200 CAD ($3200 USD). Did I miss the boat or something? lol

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Reverb costs more because there is a fee...

You need to just keep plugging, you’ll find it...

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Update!

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. It looks like he won't budge. Dead set on $4500 CAD ($3450 USD). Judging from the comments on here it seems way too high. My question is...where the hell do you guys find the deals for $2300-$2600?! I'd buy one tomorrow if I'd find such a deal. I'm looking for the plain top anywhere from 2001 to present and I cant find shit. EVERYTHING on Reverb is above $4200 CAD ($3200 USD). Did I miss the boat or something? lol
There is a 2014 R8 in our classified section right now for $3200 that has been there a bit.....you might be able to snag that one for a little less if you make him an offer.

none2low

Reaction score
Patience and determination is key. There are deals out there, but you need to look regularly and don't hesitate when you find one you want.

And try not to get caught up over specific years being better than others.

In reality there are no bad years with custom shop guitars. Yes, specs have changed over the years, but that doesn't equate to better in terms of tone and playability.

Best of luck with your search and don't forget to post your NGD.

simon connor

Reaction score
Yes, just wait. And check the MLP classifieds a lot. I bought my latest, an R0, from here and it had only been posted for a couple of hours. You haven't missed the boat. Also the guy in Canada may still come down once he realizes no one is going to buy his guitar for that price. Maybe just let him know that you're willing to give him $2800 (or whatever your amount is) and if he changes his mind, to let you know. I actually just got a message from a guy doing just that, from six months ago. Of course I had already made a purchase by then. Also maybe contact MLP member guitaraddict and ask him if he can set you up.