This year's project- 1979 LP Standard

tache3

Reaction score

So, having got this '79 Standard a couple of years ago but not had the time and funds to begin refurbishing it, I'm determined that 2019 is the year that I will sort it out.

Obviously that EMG will be the first to go and I have sourced a set of flower tuners. All the other orginal parts are still in the case pocket. Shame that the original switch is broken though.

vklobucar

Reaction score
Oh I like that ! Always had a soft spot for beater and player grade Les Pauls that need some TLC. Keep us posted with plenty of pics!

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I always switch out the hardware and electronics on all my guitars but keep the original stuff in the case like you describe. What a beautiful husk, looks like it has been properly rocked for the past 20 years.

stilwel

Reaction score
Man...I'd put a bridge pickup in that and ROCK.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd flip that neck pickup around while I was in there.

What other O.G. parts are in the case?

Reactions: Who

tache3

Reaction score

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
That machine is money! Nice one. Good luck with refurb. Glad to hear the finish stays. Sharp!

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that is cool! I'd just lose the EMG and keep everything else.

slug_maine

Reaction score
Why is it whenever you see a Les Paul with a excessively worn finish it seems to be a Norlins era guitar? Did Gibson use a thinner finish during that period?

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah refurb that …. you stated the finish will not be molested …. good on you for that. But that bridge pickup …. get rid of that travesty and the hardware.

Beautiful guitar though, can't wait to see it when you're done.

stilwel

Reaction score
I look at that wear on the back and the neck...and my brain is saying "i wanna play that. I want to feel that smooth wood grain in the palm of my hand." Really love this more every time I look at it.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Why is it whenever you see a Les Paul with a excessively worn finish it seems to be a Norlins era guitar? Did Gibson use a thinner finish during that period?
Not that I'm aware. My guess is they are great playing guitars from a time when guitar players spent more time playing (as opposed to wasting time on social media, online gaming, binge-watching netflix etc.)

zombiwoof

Reaction score
People pay extra for that kind of "Mojo" on a new guitar these days, I'll take one with real wear over a fake relic any day.
Al

slug_maine

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware. My guess is they are great playing guitars from a time when guitar players spent more time playing (as opposed to wasting time on social media, online gaming, binge-watching netflix etc.)
True that, and I knew players that gigged back then and most of them had 2 guitars, one acoustic and one electric, so they saw heavy traffic.

judson

Reaction score
because as much of a bad rap they got (and still today somewhat) a whole lot of players loved the hell out of them and played them often....sort of indicates a different story dont it :hmm:

Last edited:

Latest Threads