This would make most good musicians cry

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Mark Lindsay, the talent in Paul Revere and the Raiders (who were red-hot in 1967, the best-selling rock group Columbia had ever had) was driving home when he heard the very end of Strawberry Fields on the radio, and the DJ saying it was the new single from the Beatles. So he detoured by a record shop, bought it, took it home and listened to it with his producer and roommate, Terry Melcher. When the song ended Lindsay said, “Now what the fuck are we gonna do?”
That sure would ruin your day.
At the same time The Moody Blues released Days of Future Past, The Kinks had Waterloo Sunset and Dylan John Westly Harding. The Stones screwed up with Satanic Majesty’s trying to do something spaciest.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
At the same time The Moody Blues released Days of Future Past, The Kinks had Waterloo Sunset and Dylan John Westly Harding. The Stones screwed up with Satanic Majesty’s trying to do something spaciest.
M, I LOVE Satanic-Like a Rainbow+2000 Man+Citadel+2000 Light years...----I started MANY a bar fight,

"Tim , your fave Stones song?"
"Easy, this is it

JTM45

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with overdubs but you used to lay down the base track as a group in one pass.

The Beatles would play a song dozens of times to get a base track they liked then add overdubs
Still the way I do it today, I play the whole track and if I fuck up I start over and do it until it’s right

It helps that I don’t know how to cut and paste on pro tools, I’m dumb like that

six-string

Reaction score
okay here's another talent pool that churned out a bucketful of hits and major albums.
Mid-69 an 'art-school' kid who had been kicking around the pop scene for a few years with various bands and had a solo LP that sunk like the Titanic came up with a tune for the Space Age and had it released around the same time as the Eagle was landing on the Moon. David Bowie (formerly Jones) had a big hit with Space Oddity (a nice play on the title of the blockbuster Stanley Kubrick film that came out that same year). His friend and producer a guy named Tony Visconti and sometime bassist, pushed him along the path to more electric music from the folky stuff he had been doing. Meanwhile a former schoolmate of Bowie's a short kid named Marc Bolin (T. Rex) was working the same circuit and had a string of pop hits in the UK before making a major breakthrough in the US with his Electric Warrior LP. Thanks in no small part to Ringo Star who took a major interest and helped Bolan get attention. Bolan was introduced to a session pianist who had just changed his name to Elton John and they did some sessions together. John was working in the same studio and heard some of Bowie's Man Who Sold The World sessions including a song about Bowie's brother in an asylum (All The Madmen) inspiring him to write "Madman Across the Water". Bowie's guitarist Mick Ronson laid down one of his greatest solo's on the original Elton John track but it was scrubbed from the LP release. Elton's next hit, "Rocket Man" was obviously a rip-off of Space Oddity but got much more radio airplay.
At the same time Bowie had met his hero Lou Reed from the Velvet Underground who had traveled to the UK to record his first post-Velvets solo album. Most of the session musicians also played with Elton John and Bowie on their early LPs.
Bowie and Ronson then agreed to produce and play on Reed's next release the breakout LP Transformer which produced such classics as "Walk on the Wild Side", "Satellite of Love", "Perfect Day" and "Vicious". Bowie and a hot shot guitarist named Jimmy Page had been following another UK band- Mott The Hoople and digging the stuff they were doing. When Bowie heard that Mott might be splitting up, he contacted Ian Hunter and offered to produce the next album for which he wrote the lead off single- "All The Young Dudes". Mott also did a cover of Reed's "Sweet Jane" on the same album. Jimmy Page took Mott guitarist Mick Ralphs under his wing and introduced him to Paul Rogers from Free. Within a year or two they had formed a new band that would rock the world called Bad Company.

I could go on... :)

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
And Floyd had Piper at the Gates of Dawn

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I got to see Brian Wilson play all of Pet Sounds in concert a couple years back.

Some really great musicians. If you had asked me in 1990 if I'd see Brain Wilson in concert playing Pet Sounds all the way through.... I'd think you're high.
His voice is still superb!

Reactions: Who

Zungle

Reaction score
Well.......

Gotta be honest......it makes zero difference to me what medium or technique was used to produce a good song.....
There are no..."Golden"....era's...... for me.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
The original idea of the post is the skill that the original musicians displayed on a song that was not easy to record. Many musicians today would likely have trouble getting through 5 takes much less over 20.

six-string

Reaction score
The original idea of the post is the skill that the original musicians displayed on a song that was not easy to record. Many musicians today would likely have trouble getting through 5 takes much less over 20.
there you go again, trying to insert linear logic in the Backstage. it is never gonna happen.
if you aren't careful somebody might pun this thread into oblivion!

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
there you go again, trying to insert linear logic in the Backstage. it is never gonna happen.
if you aren't careful somebody might pun this thread into oblivion!
Gosh NO !
NOT that.
Please No.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Listening RIGHT now on Electra -PREACHING" Mrs.FEZZ this is beyond genius!!!!! Then talking about Daniel Johnston+++++ I think this is in my top 10

Kind of Blue
Love Supreme
SparkleHorse-Vivie
Stones-Exile
White Album
PET SOUNDS!!!

Not in order. What hooks. What pain......

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
This is on now-may be my favorite song-EVER

Brandy <Fine Girl
One
Castles Made of Sand

Yes, on the list

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
This is on now-may be my favorite song-EVER

Brandy <Fine Girl
One
Castles Made of Sand

Yes, on the list
It's an amazing song especially given the time period it was recorded.
The guys in the Wrecking Crew had to love working on this and wondering how it would ever be a bit record.

Latest Threads