This really annoys me

acstorfer

Reaction score
I send out between fifty to one hundred resumes and job applications per week. For each one I tailor fit my resume as well as a cover letter. Okay, I'm use to the spam I get, because many of these postings are fake and just want to get email lists. What really annoys me though is that the companies that are legitimate don't send any kind of response. There was a day when a company would send you a letter, the position was filled, thank you for your interest, yada yada yada. Now they do squat. Well to me it's just rude and unprofessional.

My daily venting is complete. Thank you for your cooperation!

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
i agree that it is annoying. but i figure this happens probably because there are tens of thousands of people sending hundreds of resumes.

but Sin says we're all recovered:thumb:

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Resumes sent in to email boxes or fax machines is the least productive way to find a job...IMO. You need to find the hiring manager and get your resume into his/her hands. It's not easy, but it can be done...and you need to network. Many companies are using data mining techniques to sift through stacks of resumes, searching for key words. It's too impersonal. Good luck.

Byron999

Reaction score
Postage has gone up and I would imagine they are inundated with resumes. I would not expect a response, unless they are interested.

slapshot

Reaction score
Let us know when you have to vent about something more volatile
And if you got a form letter response you'd be complaining it was impersonal

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i agree that it is annoying. but i figure this happens probably because there are tens of thousands of people sending hundreds of resumes.

but Sin says we're all recovered:thumb:

Just because this guy doesn't get a job, doesn't mean the economy is in the shitter. Last time I checked, even in a full swing economy, people still get denied jobs. FFS

JMV

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. Like KSG and Tommy mentioned, I'm working on personal follow-up and networking. It seems that's the only way to land a job right now. I know just emailing resumes isn't going to do it for me.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I send out between fifty to one hundred resumes and job applications per week. For each one I tailor fit my resume as well as a cover letter. Okay, I'm use to the spam I get, because many of these postings are fake and just want to get email lists. What really annoys me though is that the companies that are legitimate don't send any kind of response. There was a day when a company would send you a letter, the position was filled, thank you for your interest, yada yada yada. Now they do squat. Well to me it's just rude and unprofessional.

My daily venting is complete. Thank you for your cooperation!

Not sure if I mentioned this when I previously posted some tips so here goes - when you tailor your resume for each position to which you are applying be sure to use the terminology and phrasing that they use in their ad/posting. Many, if not most, companies today use software to scan the resumes that are submitted and that software is looking for keywords so the best plan of action is to give them the keywords that they used themselves. While it would be normal to think that copying their terminology and phrasing is the lazy way to tailor a resume and that that practice should be avoided, that was only true back when a human being was reading them. These days, it is necessary to do this so as to get past their first weeding out phase and get your resume seen by a human being. The cover letter can be more personalized but it should also contain at least a few of their keywords and phrases.

dngrsdave

Reaction score
What kind of job are you looking for ?

Every job I've had I got by walking the pavement and meeting with the Bosses or Foreman. The job I have now,been here for 20 years this summer,I called back every other week to remind them how much they needed me to help their company.

I'll admit, things are different now.

acstorfer

Reaction score
What kind of job are you looking for ?

Every job I've had I got by walking the pavement and meeting with the Bosses or Foreman. The job I have now,been here for 20 years this summer,I called back every other week to remind them how much they needed me to help their company.

I'll admit, things are different now.
I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. It's kinda ironic that prior to getting my bachelors degree (majors are poli-sci and criminal justice, minors are pre-law and homeland security, oh also have an associates in security administration from the Air Force) I've never been unemployed. Since I was sixteen I've worked (not counting paper routes). I've also worked for chemical companies for around 12 years as a lab technician. During that time I was a chemistry major with courses in chem I and II, Bio I and II, Physics I and II, forensic science, math up thru Calculus I, so I've been looking there as well. I apply from big box stores, chemical industry, security industry, legal assistant/paralegal, office jobs (any field), shipping jobs (mucho experience shipping hazardous materials domestic and international, well I'll apply to pretty much everything.

There use to be much more job fairs, but now even those are mostly done via the Internet.

I do have a handicap though. I've had ten knee surgeries (I'm now 45), so that kind of excludes physically demanding jobs. I see my orthopedist in March to discuss a knee replacement. My father owned a cleaning company, so I'm not above cleaning toilets and carpet cleaning, but physically I'm not up for that anymore.

My last interview was a couple months ago. It was at the State Attorney's Office in Tampa. It was a very low entry level. I really wanted that job. The pay was less than half of what I use to make, but I didn't care. They asked me about the low salary hesitantly but I told them as much as I could that didn't bother me, I just really wanted to work there. It would have been a job I loved! Unfortunately they knew about my knees and asked me if I could carry boxes weighing 50 pounds and up. I told them as long as I had a hand-cart I would be fine, but I think that was the deal breaker.

Oh well, if something doesn't come in the near future there's always substitute teaching again. I really hate that! I have no problem with the kids, generally they are great. It's the teachers I can't stand. I am very well rounded, but they just leave lesson plans that make it just babysitting while the kids do busy work. In Ohio, I did eventually build up relationships with some of the teachers. They would request me and actually let me teach, but I covered three seperate school systems so I was hopping schools on most days. Oh, when I was in the Air Force I was a D.A.R.E instructor so I had a few years of creating lesson plans for kids kindergarten to eighth grade.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
acs, with your resume, you could get a job selling safety gear, homeland security gear, disaster gear, etc., there are several companies across the country, particularly where the oil/gas industry is booming. I have a couple of pals that do it and they're pulling in salary/commissions in the mid 6 figure range.

Latest Threads