This Junior........

MiniB

Reaction score
.........sounds absolutely incredible. Helps that the player is really good, of course. :)

When I try to explain sometimes to guitar players just how much range this simple one-pickup wonder has, from now on I'll just link them this vid.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Would love to own a vintage jr and special one day....

This guy is funny. He says he doesn't know much music theory and then proceeds to say to play like him you need to know where every note is on the fretboard, understand 5ths, 6ths etc. and know all the chords and substitutions. I like his videos alot but I feel like there is alot of stuff I am missing. Does anyone have suggestions on the in between stuff? :p

endial

Reaction score
Would love to own a vintage jr and special one day....

This guy is funny. He says he doesn't know much music theory and then proceeds to say to play like him you need to know where every note is on the fretboard, understand 5ths, 6ths etc. and know all the chords and substitutions. I like his videos alot but I feel like there is alot of stuff I am missing. Does anyone have suggestions on the in between stuff? :p
"Theory" IS the in-between stuff. How it all jives.

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your brain can know theory.... but you need to train your fingers to apply it to the instrument.

Love these minimal pieces of musical art.... Juniors of any variety are great tools of expression... they let you find the in-between.
;)

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like his videos alot but I feel like there is alot of stuff I am missing. Does anyone have suggestions on the in between stuff? :p
Just keep watching videos like this with a guitar on your lap. 30 years ago, it was kind of rare you could get to sit down with good and experienced musicians to listen and learn. I got so lucky to jump into bands with very good older guitar players that showed me stuff and encouraged me from early in my playing career. That kind of experience is so much more accessible via youtube nowadays, and OK, it's not the same as being in the room, but it was all about mouth shut, and eyes and ears open for as much of the time as possible, so not that different.

That, a lot of practice, a little patience, read some theory but it's more important to understand than to know, and to know that it's just theory. Play with other musicians at every single opportunity you can find. If you spend your 10,000 hours on that you might not end up a guitar great, but you will hold your own in most situations, and you will really enjoy playing guitar!

Liam

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Just keep watching videos like this with a guitar on your lap. 30 years ago, it was kind of rare you could get to sit down with good and experienced musicians to listen and learn. I got so lucky to jump into bands with very good older guitar players that showed me stuff and encouraged me from early in my playing career. That kind of experience is so much more accessible via youtube nowadays, and OK, it's not the same as being in the room, but it was all about mouth shut, and eyes and ears open for as much of the time as possible, so not that different.
One thing Tom mentioned was that he spends hours just messing around and seeing what sticks. I think that describes what I do lots of the time. I have made a few of my own songs that I think are ok. It's cool but kind of directionless. I can imagine how much better I would be if I had spent more time learning all the interesting chords and how they are constructed. Years ago I had the fretboard notes memorized and knew some of the patterns for the modes but I didn't really get when to use them or what chords matched. Now I know more chords (even if I don't know their proper names) but I have forgotten most of the modes and I would have to take a few seconds to name a note if someone pointed at a random spot on the fretboard. I think Tom's videos have been good in that he has given me a direction to go to get better.

Any suggestions for other youtube lessons?

Latest Threads