This is the kind of shit you get when you unwittingly order something from China..

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I came up with a way to solve Dave's difficulties. No pickguard. I demand a discount.

On a serious note, I'm fucked if I know how he's going to achieve it. I just know he will.
For those playing at home, What Southwest is on about..

He ordered a build from us, our original Apache design. Top drawer, all the trimmin's.

This Apache guitar line of ours is a platform that goes from a basics "jr" model for under $1000, to a full-tilt, top-drawer showpiece.

He wanted something really, really unique. Something that nobody else has.

So I see this incredible chunk of flamed Honduran mahogany. Flames and figure are just over the top.

See for yourself:

Both sides:
20210415_121225.jpg
20210415_121245.jpg

So this is the full-thickness (just under two inches) body, that after he saw that piece he could not live without it.

..Flamed Honduran mahog does not come around very often. Much less this amount of flame. It wasn't cheap either.

So, my design for two pickups includes a bit of a guard, as it is a double-cut design and the neck pocket is a bit of an issue, which a guard around it solves.

But he doesn't want a guard. Who in their right mind would cover up that magnificent flame?

Might I also add that this neck must feature 24 *accessible* frets, further complicating the issue?

I have come up with a plan that involves shortening the original very long tenon.

No, it won't be like a 62 SG. More like a junior. Wider than a LP standard tenon, so there's more gluing real-estate.

hecube

Reaction score
You're lucky.

I ordered parts from Stewmac on April 12th. I still haven't received them and Fedex last tracked the package as being in Canada last Friday.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I mis-spoke earlier. This guard in question was in fact ordered from Amazon.

and I'm experiencing the exact same dilemma.

I also ordered tuning machines (several packs, some different dealers) thru amazon to take advantage of my wife's Prime account and free shipping.

Some arrived, some have not.
Have you thought about Creamtone?

:dunno:

:rofl:

sonar1

Reaction score
Once they removed that damn pickguard that wedged the boat all was fine!
Fucking builders I tell ya!
They were using Dave’s ordered pickguard for a rudder?
I like my shippers a little less interactive.
Just get it here. Nothing fancy, just bring it without dramatic demonstrations thank you.

A pickguard just does not have to be all THAT versatile, for my intended purposes.

’Course, I can see how an ebony pickguard from say, a Heritage arch top, could be a temptation for Popeye.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You're lucky.

I ordered parts from Stewmac on April 12th. I still haven't received them and Fedex last tracked the package as being in Canada last Friday.
Now, that's weird.

Stoo-mac has a history of being high on shipping, but done very well. And quickly.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Kind of on topic... (Bit of a stretch)
But at a high level - how would you go about scratch building a pickguard?

I need to make one for a flying V (precision kit) but I keep getting distracted while the project list grows.
Would it be a template (particle board or something) then blast it out with a small router?

James R

Reaction score
You should get a 3D printer, Dave.
Cut all those asshats right out of the picture.
You could make all your own guards, backplates, toggle switches, knobs, etc.
Maybe even nut blanks?
I don't know about that last one though, I have no idea what that material would be like for a nut.

You could even work out a program that would etch your logo into the back plate or truss cover or something.

I've never used a 3D printer, but these are all things that I've been led to believe you could do if you had one.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kind of on topic... (Bit of a stretch)
But at a high level - how would you go about scratch building a pickguard?

I need to make one for a flying V (precision kit) but I keep getting distracted while the project list grows.
Would it be a template (particle board or something) then blast it out with a small router?
A few things you need:

A table router, a 45 degree bevel router bit with bearing (to follow patterns), and a very small 3/8 pattern bit for inside the pickup routs.

-And a drill press of course.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been getting shit from China faster than I am from Stew Mac, which is in the same state I live in!
wow! I wonder what's going on at SM?

Roxy13

Reaction score
wow! I wonder what's going on at SM?
It's not SM. It's USPS in Ohio. It's been awful for a year now. I'm losing my patience with it. Yeah, things bought from China or California come faster than anything I buy in Ohio these days. There is a guy who sells pots and caps and other electronics who is local to me but he sells out of his house so won't meet in person. And I bought from him and didn't get the parts for 5 weeks! I could have driven over there in half an hour. Freaking USPS in Toledo sent them to Texas instead of driving them down to my PO.

Latest Threads