This is the kind of shit you get when you unwittingly order something from China..

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pick guard for one of my builds off of Reverb. Maybe I hadn't had enough coffee, etc but its origins are from China.

This was April 9th.

Now it is April 29th. I actually have some word back in my email. I have a tracking number now.

Here's a very entertaining screen shot of what greeted me this morning when I ran the tracking # to find out WTF happened to my damn pick guard:

20210429_101000.jpg

If you can't see the words, enlarge it. It's worth it for the lolz.

"Airlines receive it" (well, I'm glad to know that multiple air freight companies are on the job for me. One must have the PG, the other has the screws..)

"The airline departs" (ah, so they had the good sense to consolidate the delivery. Critical thinking skills are important.)

"We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece" (this is on top of the other info, yet dated previously)

"China, acceptance" (well, that's better than a Dear John letter..)

And the punch line at the top of the page:

"The plane entered the port" (fantastic. What's next ? "The pilot waved"..? )

-Does not say what port.

-Does not say where the item is.

-Latest information is ten days old.

"aircraft" icon and statement says it's "In Transit".. So It's flying here.

How long did it take Charles Lindbergh to fly across the Atlantic?

Emilia Earhart to circumnavigate the globe?

I could have made a damn PG from a sheet of crushed pearl in this much time.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 50s wired harness from Toneman (fantastic looking thing by the way) apparently went through Chicago at least three times over a period of 5 days courtesy of USPS. Can't speak highly enough of Gary's customer service and he did warn me about the likely delays.

But boy do the shipping companies' automated alerts suck!

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Them feelz, I knowz them...

1619721954029.png

Amazon now sells you shit and you have no idea it's actually coming from China until after you've bought it.

It's total bullshit.

I ordered two 3x3 puzzles (Rubiks style) at the same exact time. One came 2 days later,.. the other one is still in China I guess and will be here whenever.

Same style of puzzle from the same company and seller, yet one ships from China? ... when did Amazon turn into eBay? I started using Amazon specifically to get away from this kind of ebay-like BS.

Chango Malo

Reaction score
I ordered a pick guard for one of my builds off of Reverb. Maybe I hadn't had enough coffee, etc but its origins are from China.

This was April 9th.

Now it is April 29th. I actually have some word back in my email. I have a tracking number now.

Here's a very entertaining screen shot of what greeted me this morning when I ran the tracking # to find out WTF happened to my damn pick guard:

View attachment 534544

If you can't see the words, enlarge it. It's worth it for the lolz.

"Airlines receive it" (well, I'm glad to know that multiple air freight companies are on the job for me. One must have the PG, the other has the screws..)

"The airline departs" (ah, so they had the good sense to consolidate the delivery. Critical thinking skills are important.)

"We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece" (this is on top of the other info, yet dated previously)

"China, acceptance" (well, that's better than a Dear John letter..)

And the punch line at the top of the page:

"The plane entered the port" (fantastic. What's next ? "The pilot waved"..? )

-Does not say what port.

-Does not say where the item is.

-Latest information is ten days old.

"aircraft" icon and statement says it's "In Transit".. So It's flying here.

How long did it take Charles Lindbergh to fly across the Atlantic?

Emilia Earhart to circumnavigate the globe?

I could have made a damn PG from a sheet of crushed pearl in this much time.
If the pickguard is taking the Earhart route you's best be talkin' to Warmoth soon...

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If the pickguard is taking the Earhart route you's best be talkin' to Warmoth soon...
I ordered one from Warmoth for another build, at a pricey $48.00. +shipping.

Somewhere there has to be a happy medium.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Them feelz, I knowz them...

View attachment 534554

Amazon now sells you shit and you have no idea it's actually coming from China until after you've bought it.

It's total bullshit.

I ordered two 3x3 puzzles (Rubiks style) at the same exact time. One came 2 days later,.. the other one is still in China I guess and will be here whenever.

Same style of puzzle from the same company and seller, yet one ships from China? ... when did Amazon turn into eBay? I started using Amazon specifically to get away from this kind of ebay-like BS.
I mis-spoke earlier. This guard in question was in fact ordered from Amazon.

and I'm experiencing the exact same dilemma.

I also ordered tuning machines (several packs, some different dealers) thru amazon to take advantage of my wife's Prime account and free shipping.

Some arrived, some have not.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yes the same exact thing has been happening for me lately. This is the 3rd or 4th time that after the purchase I get the tracking info only to find out it's coming from China. .. and it takes about 5 weeks

Chango Malo

Reaction score

I'd say cut yer own but the material costs added to the man hours suck up the samolians all the same.
I'm not going to presume to know parts sources more than a guy that builds guitars for a living and toss suggestions in a serious way. Hell, guitar fetish is cheap, but I'm betting even odds that stuff's going to ship from China too.

larryguitar

Reaction score
I'm surprised you're not cutting your own guards. Buy/make a template, buy sheet stock and you're rolling. Quick and easy, and you get to make your guards out of whatever material you want.

Larry

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Meh... just pass the cost along to your customers.

Wait... you're not talking about the black Explorer guard, are you?

:D

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you're not cutting your own guards. Buy/make a template, buy sheet stock and you're rolling. Quick and easy, and you get to make your guards out of whatever material you want.
Worthwhile for the new DSG Apache design, but making templates takes up just as much time as manually cutting the guard when 90% of your business is one-off customs.

It's why true custom guitars (or bikes, or homes) are more expensive than production models and it's totally justified.

Latest Threads