This is sad...

jstarr823

Reaction score
Sweetwater seems to get the WORST tops. I bought my 60s Standard from MF and the top was great!

PauloQS

Reaction score

This is Jimmy Page’s #1. I think some of the tops on the new original collection Standard 50s and 60s resembles Jimmy Page’s guitar. Keith Richards’s Les Paul on the other hand has a much flamierand symmetric matched top.

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
Wow, I am glad it isn't just me. The first tops to come out were great but the recent ones have been terrible. I buy a ton from Sweetwater and actually complained to them about how bad their tops were recently. They didn't have financing until half way through the summer and by then, the tops had gotten awful. I'm shocked at how bad those tops are.

jstarr823

Reaction score
I've seen few that were horribly matched. I mean really bad. I don't mind plain tops, but these aren't spec's as plain. People are expecting killer tops, and that's not super realistic. That being said, comparing to Page's LP is kinda silly. And regardless, Sweetwater and Wildwood have had mostly horrible tops available.

PauloQS

Reaction score
I've seen few that were horribly matched. I mean really bad. I don't mind plain tops, but these aren't spec's as plain. People are expecting killer tops, and that's not super realistic. That being said, comparing to Page's LP is kinda silly. And regardless, Sweetwater and Wildwood have had mostly horrible tops available.
Can you elaborate why you believe it to be silly to compare it with Page’s guitar? From what I saw the top on his guitar isn’t super well matched. I kind of dig the quirkiness of a top that isn’t matched to perfection.

jstarr823

Reaction score
Can you elaborate why you believe it to be silly to compare it with Page’s guitar? From what I saw the top on his guitar isn’t super well matched. I kind of dig the quirkiness of a top that isn’t matched to perfection.
Why is it silly to compare a modern mass produced LP to a 50s LP? Uhh... Where do I start?

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I think Gibby charges you extra for a half and half top.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Why is it silly to compare a modern mass produced LP to a 50s LP? Uhh... Where do I start?
Please don’t take this the wrong way. Please go on, start.

I’d agree with you that there are discrepancies that are unavoidable. For instance, luthiers in the 50s had a much wider selection of woods to choose. That’s in part why guitars from the 50s are on average lighter than the average non-weight relieved LP. It’d be unrealistic to expect the same type of materials. Yet the top posted by the OP is not too dissimilar to one of the most iconic Les Pauls in history.

Honestly, I just think we complain more these days and hold companies to higher standards, sometimes reasonably so.

jstarr823

Reaction score
Please don’t take this the wrong way. Please go on, start.

I’d agree with you that there are discrepancies that are unavoidable. For instance, luthiers in the 50s had a much wider selection of woods to choose. That’s in part why guitars from the 50s are on average lighter than the average non-weight relieved LP. It’d be unrealistic to expect the same type of materials. Yet the top posted by the OP is not too dissimilar to one of the most iconic Les Pauls in history.

Honestly, I just think we complain more these days and hold companies to higher standards, sometimes reasonably so.
Okay. You win. Congrats! Next.

jstarr823

Reaction score
What’s with the attitude? Did I say something to offend you?
No attitude whatsoever. I just don't feel like arguing over something irrelevant. It's all a matter of personal taste. You clearly like mismatched tops. This was a post about the current run of Standards that have subpar tops. You rationalized it by comparing it to Page's LP. I'm not arguing. Just not seeing the relevance.

jm55

Reaction score
The problem with using the Page guitar as an example is that the angle at which the picture was taken means a lot. Depending on how one takes a picture, differences will be made more or less apparent. I've seen two piece tops that looked very compatible, except when viewed from one specific angle, but if you happen to take a picture that accentuates the differences, then that's the difference that one thinks the guitar halves possess, when in reality they might be adequately matched by all other standards.

PauloQS

Reaction score
No attitude whatsoever. I just don't feel like arguing over something irrelevant. It's all a matter of personal taste. You clearly like mismatched tops. This was a post about the current run of Standards that have subpar tops. You rationalized it by comparing it to Page's LP. I'm not arguing. Just not seeing the relevance.
Sorry for misinterpreting your tone and thank you for the explanation.We, guitarists are very passionate and can sometimes come off very strong and somewhat argumentative. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t inadvertently pushing buttons. I totally understand where you’re coming from now.

PauloQS

Reaction score
The problem with using the Page guitar as an example is that the angle at which the picture was taken means a lot. Depending on how one takes a picture, differences will be made more or less apparent. I've seen two piece tops that looked very compatible, except when viewed from one specific angle, but if you happen to take a picture that accentuates the differences, then that's the difference that one thinks the guitar halves possess, when in reality they might be adequately matched by all other standards.
That’s very true. And more to your point, his guitar’s finish is very checked. So it’s really hard to capture it in pictures. I’ve taken photos from a plethora of angles and none do justice to being face to face with it. To corroborate with your point even further, my first Custom Shop was a Guitar Center exclusive R0, a G0. The top line seemed way nicer on the top shelves compared to when I tried it in my hands. Yet it was one hell of a guitar. At ground level it looked semi plain, but at certain angles the top would just cone to life.