This is real, right?

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks real to me, but I'm no expert

grumphh

Reaction score
Scrape a sample off the fretboard. If it isn't wood it is a Gibson.

Gibson uses kitchen counter top material for fretboards on their luxury guitars these days :yesway:

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score

Gibson uses kitchen counter top material for fretboards on their luxury guitars these days :yesway:
No, that's a 2012 spec. They stopped doing that in 2019, I believe.

grumphh

Reaction score
No, that's a 2012 spec. They stopped doing that in 2019, I believe.
Damn. So now there is no way to tell a Gibson from a far eastern copy anymore?

(Well ok, there are always the telltale file marks on the binding, the asians don't do work that sloppy - all good :yesway: )

moreles

Reaction score
Back to the OP: Based on the pictures, I'd say it looks legit, but some telltales, like headstock shape, are impossible to discern from those photos. Hopefully some others who know more about pickguard shape and other features can confirm/deny. I see none of the usual obvious signs of fakery, but, again, it's only 2 pics, and there are some convincing high-end fakes among the Chibson nonsense, so I never say never. Love a black Custom!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only is it real,... its a fantastic score... congratulations and enjoy.

The Custom Shop case it’s sitting in is one of my favorites.

(Don’t mind grumphh, it’s Friday)

mjross

Reaction score

Better than you think! I have several and they are fantastic fretboards! But hey, to each their own!

grumphh

Reaction score
Better than you think! I have several and they are fantastic fretboards! But hey, to each their own!
Oh, just taking the piss ...

I have some synthetic material on my Steinberger fretboards and it does its job perfectly. :yesway:

I just always had a hearty laugh at the fact that Gibson could sell a luxury guitar and remove the ebony and replace it with "richlite" and even make people believe that it was an "upgrade" over ebony. :rofl:

The entire point of using ebony has nothing to do with functionality (or, god forbid, tone), but that it is a scarce natural resource, and therefore is an expensive luxury material that obviously belongs on a very expensive guitar.
Compressed paper fibers in some resin that is mainly used for kitchen counter tops OTOH does NOT belong on a very expensive guitar.
Unless it is a Steinberger, that is.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, just taking the piss ...

I have some synthetic material on my Steinberger fretboards and it does its job perfectly. :yesway:

I just always had a hearty laugh at the fact that Gibson could sell a luxury guitar and remove the ebony and replace it with "richlite" and even make people believe that it was an "upgrade" over ebony. :rofl:

The entire point of using ebony has nothing to do with functionality (or, god forbid, tone), but that it is a scarce natural resource, and therefore is an expensive luxury material that obviously belongs on a very expensive guitar.
Compressed paper fibers in some resin that is mainly used for kitchen counter tops OTOH does NOT belong on a very expensive guitar.
Unless it is a Steinberger, that is.
That is why they put ebony on “The Paul” because it was a luxury item?

That’s funny.....:rofl:

Latest Threads