This is not good, blank Gibson coa

Brek

Reaction score
Last edited:

jb_abides

Reaction score
Oh, FFS! Gibson employee fail. :noway:

Will always pay to contact customer service with the serial number.

Brek

Reaction score
there is a reissue paul on ebay uk with no coa, maybe that seller should buy it. lol.

pillbug

Reaction score
I know I've seen quite a few of these blank COA listings and it's got me worried about my two Custom Shop guitars now... :Ohno:

ns2a

Reaction score

dspelman

Reaction score
Always someone looking to try to cheat hardworking people out of their money, this will help them no end. This is shocking to think we now have to check the validity of the COA.
As a long-time graphic designer, I've never understood the focus on COAs. These would be so easy to counterfeit that I've always thought that losing one would be a non-issue. Doing a single COA would be a bit of a PIA, but doing a hundred, trivial. The point of having a COA is, I suppose, to authenticate the guitar, but it can't even authenticate itself.

For a while, Carvin (and even Gibson, I believe, for a while) inserted an RFID chip into the bodies or neck heels of their guitars. At least one company maintained a website that would connect a specific RFID chip to an owner. It was advertised to allow recovery of the guitar after theft, but it was only useful IF a law enforcement agency had an RFID reader and IF they knew to check the guitar for one, and IF they bothered to check the website. Alas, the websites are probably no longer maintained, and the only thing that the constabulary knows to check for RFID chips is your pet, Fluffy.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
As a long-time graphic designer, I've never understood the focus on COAs. These would be so easy to counterfeit that I've always thought that losing one would be a non-issue. Doing a single COA would be a bit of a PIA, but doing a hundred, trivial. The point of having a COA is, I suppose, to authenticate the guitar, but it can't even authenticate itself.

For a while, Carvin (and even Gibson, I believe, for a while) inserted an RFID chip into the bodies or neck heels of their guitars. At least one company maintained a website that would connect a specific RFID chip to an owner. It was advertised to allow recovery of the guitar after theft, but it was only useful IF a law enforcement agency had an RFID reader and IF they knew to check the guitar for one, and IF they bothered to check the website. Alas, the websites are probably no longer maintained, and the only thing that the constabulary knows to check for RFID chips is your pet, Fluffy.
Gibson puts an RFID chip in the neck near the nut for tracking in the factory.

Brek

Reaction score
I know I've seen quite a few of these blank COA listings and it's got me worried about my two Custom Shop guitars now... :Ohno:
I will now ask of any seller I am not able to view in person the 4 images required by gibson to verify the guitar in question. I guess this post may be old news for the forum regulars, I have just got back into playing again after finishing my BA (hons) and M.A.The world is getting slippier by the day.

larryguitar

Reaction score
If you look at that seller's other items, it's mostly the bits you'd need to turn a Chibson into an authentic-looking CS Gibson. They're also selling a couple 'Custom Shop' Les Pauls....well, I'll let you do the math on that one.

Larry

Latest Threads