This guy deserves a Sig Les Paul

jbash

Reaction score
A special run of however many out the Custom shop. He played this thing since 1971 or so as his main guitar until the neck was toast in the mid Y2Ks and sent it back to Gibson for a new neck. I think he retired it a few years after that.

ARandall

Reaction score
Un-fixable twist, trussrod broken, a break that didn't repair well......there are a lot of possibilities.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wonder, could anyone play one guitar so much they actually wear the neck out? lol. not a serious question.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that fact. The legend is of course he used bass guitar strings with a couple of girders for the plain strings. *Looks at my fingers struggling with 9's.

NINFNM

Reaction score
Must have been refinished back then with fender type of laquer. It's battered

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Always liked him from way back when he was just starting out with Yesterday & Today. Later shortened to Y&T, they had some decent stuff back in the day.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Always liked him from way back when he was just starting out with Yesterday & Today. Later shortened to Y&T, they had some decent stuff back in the day.
Yes, he is a very talented guy as both a great singer and a great guitar player. I saw him back around 1984 after Black Tiger came out. They could never quite break into large national prominence.

LocoTex

Reaction score
i wonder, could anyone play one guitar so much they actually wear the neck out? lol. not a serious question.
Clapton wore out the neck on "Blackie" - that's why he retired it. Seems incredible that you could wear down a maple neck enough to be noticeable, but he did play it pretty much exclusively for ten years or more.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Tiger was 1982.... my little band opened up for Y&T in a little off campus night club in Turlock California in 1983.....it was simply called “The Club”..... Dave was a really nice guy... love to talk about gear and guitars.

I was underage at the time...18... I had to stay in the dressing room if I wasn’t on stage. There was only one room. The Club often had some cool bands play there.... the owner of the place had a recording studio where I did most of the demos for my band. I worked there for a while too. MIP (music image productions) was a great place back in the ‘80s. Haven’t been there in decades.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave’s guitar is 1968 P90 Goldtop that was routed for humbuckers and refinished in sunburst before he bought it in 1970-71..... it would make an interesting Signature model.... but I doubt Gibson would make a true replica.

jbash

Reaction score
Dave’s guitar is 1968 P90 Goldtop that was routed for humbuckers and refinished in sunburst before he bought it in 1970-71..... it would make an interesting Signature model.... but I doubt Gibson would make a true replica.
I get what you are saying, but If they can reissue Slash's fake as a Gibson, I don't see why they can't do Dave's.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I am not sure that a Dave Meniketti signature Les Paul would create the same buzz as, for example, the new Jerry Cantrell LPC. But with my being from Northern California, I would certainly like applaud seeing it.

jbash

Reaction score
I am not sure that a Dave Meniketti signature Les Paul would create the same buzz as, for example, the new Jerry Cantrell LPC. But with my being from Northern California, I would certainly like applaud seeing it.

No doubt. But this is all about DESERVES. Not Buzz.

Making my case here- not arguing.......

Plenty of people get Gibson sigs who don't really deserve them. Not knowing all that much about Cantrell other than the very first AIC album, and seeing JC sig G&L's in catalogs in the past 10 years or so, I always assumed he was still a G&L player. I know he also played Deans for awhile. It's the same with Mustaine. Is he really a Gibson guy? No. He was really a Jackson guy for most of his career, and certainly a Jackson player during the part of his career when he was actually relevant to the music scene. I think these guys are getting sigs because Cesar is a fanboy of so many metal players (don't get me wrong, I like Cesar, and have no issues with Mustaine or Jerry).

Dave Meneketti on the other hand has been a Les Paul guy for 50 years. The vast majority of his career was played live and recorded with ONE guitar, the Les Paul above. And he's a MONSTER player (who never quite got the recognition). Dave has EARNED a Les Paul sig. Those other guys have not.

I rest my case.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... But this is all about DESERVES. Not Buzz ...
(Good post; I am also not arguing) ... For me, personally, I think it is neither about "buzz" or "deserves". What draws me to a particular signature model are the specific features on the signature model. For example, the Slash model is very alluring for features and finishes, not the Slash name. Even though I am a huge Randy Rhoads fan, I was never even vaguely tempted towards his signature models because they are not my thing. A lot of people will agree the "the features are what is important" too, I believe, BUT ... still Gibson sells out like crazy on Ace Freheley, Angus Young, Toni Iommi, Joe Perry, et al higher-priced signature models. As a simple matter of fact, the name does drive sales. Period. And that is exactly why Gibson is now mooring its ships in Mustaine harbor. Meniketti is an exceptional guitar player (and singer, too), but most guitarists will go "who??". I am from Northern California, and I never understood why Y&T never broke big, especially when "Summertime Girls" came out which was such a catchy tune ... nope. Another one is Ronnie Montrose and his '80s band Gamma. I remember talking to some east coast guitarists back in the day and was dumbfounded that they never even heard him. Seriously?? You never heard of Ronnie-friggin'-Montrose??? "Rock The Nation", "Space Station #5", "Voyager"???? Nothing? Back in Norcal, Montrose was a guitar god ... at least to me, I guess. How about a well-deserving Ronnie Montrose signature Les Paul? Hmmmm, I may be on to something there.

Latest Threads