this confirms what a lot of us have suspected!

Zungle

Reaction score
This is pretty new.....and as @mdubya talked about..... most on MLP won't appreciate it.....

For me its a breath of fresh air....

Live......a real band.

and for me....Anna Murphy is far more my type of sexy than any of the pop stars in their garb and glitter.....

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
So Dr. Luke is one of the two dudes who write a good chunk of the music these days.
I thought he was nobody, perhaps an agent, trying to cash in on Kesha.
That's the only time I have ever heard of him.

My bad.

Kesha was just an expendable pawn.
She doesn't stand a chance against him in court.

redking

Reaction score
he discusses it in the video. That in the old days the public dictated what was popular and what wasn't. You had to actually be good, and write good songs, to be noticed and have people want to hear your music.

Now the companies spend millions of dollars to promote and brainwash the masses by slamming pop-tarts down people's throats until they like them and buy the records.

he said the company will spend millions of dollars to make sure you hear "the latest single" everywhere you go. From movies to grocery stores to the radio to commercials,... until it's familiar and you like it. They're forcing people to hear the song until people like it.

But good music is good music, and people will naturally like what they like, they don't need to be brainwashed. But nowadays that's exactly what the record companies are doing.

I guess they lost so much money on file sharing they're just not going to take a chance on a new artist or support their growth. They're going to promote the living shit out of their manufactured product until people buy it.
Not only that - they spend money and cut certain deals to ensure certain releases hit the charts at a high number or even number one. Very eye opening discussion with Patrick Carney here about it here. eg. deals are cut with ticketmaster to give away a free copy of the record with every concert ticket sold so that the artists gets credit for the "sale" on the charts, but ticketmaster takes the money and the artist loses money on every unit (so they basically "buy" a number 1 record), or the story of the A&R guys that know nothing about music making decisions based on how it makes them look.

Deftone

Reaction score
Different strokes,
That made me laugh.

Just had this conversation on Jabber yesterday with a co-worker. He specifically mentioned Katy Perry.

"1st you just had to make good music. Didn't matter if you looked like a freak."

"then video came along and suddenly you had to look good"

"that's when you got phonies like Milli Vanilli. lip syncing"

"and now they dont even use people"

"agree - we need to go back to having ugly musicians. I mean, 28 people write songs for katy perry or whatever, and it is just rehashed Toto songs."

"exactly"

"and they sing through boxes that keep them in tune and in pitch"

Then he recommends I go check out a guy on youtube named Ric Beato.....LOL

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A smattering of great pop, in my opinion. That doesn't hurt your brain or ears.

filtersweep

Reaction score
He makes every one of those same points in the video. He doesn't say there is no good music out there. Just that it's not promoted and you really have to dig for it.

It's honestly all stuff we've said here before, but it's interesting there is evidence to support it. It's not just, "old men yelling at clouds".... music today is demonstrably dumber, and simpler, and built for people with short attention spans who consume it like junk food. Everything from the instruments to the lyrics to the complexity of the music itself has been heavily dumbed down for the masses.

Which we've all commented on here, but he provides some evidence for it. Which is cool to see.

it's just... dumb. You compare trash like this to what The Beatles produced as "pop music"... and it's night and day. The Beatles were intelligent song writers,... in comparison to todays Pop music they were Einstein's.
Pop performers rarely write their own material— they just use consortiums of song writers/consultants/producers.

It is like working for an ad or marketing agency. This industry has been around forever.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is pretty new.....and as @mdubya talked about..... most on MLP won't appreciate it.....

For me its a breath of fresh air....

Live......a real band.

and for me....Anna Murphy is far more my type of sexy than any of the pop stars in their garb and glitter.....
that was cool. I've been listening to Unlucky Morpheus a lot more lately... I just really like that thrash kind of speedpicking riffs..and double-bass drumming

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
He makes every one of those same points in the video. He doesn't say there is no good music out there. Just that it's not promoted and you really have to dig for it.

It's honestly all stuff we've said here before, but it's interesting there is evidence to support it. It's not just, "old men yelling at clouds".... music today is demonstrably dumber, and simpler, and built for people with short attention spans who consume it like junk food. Everything from the instruments to the lyrics to the complexity of the music itself has been heavily dumbed down for the masses.

Which we've all commented on here, but he provides some evidence for it. Which is cool to see.

it's just... dumb. You compare trash like this to what The Beatles produced as "pop music"... and it's night and day. The Beatles were intelligent song writers,... in comparison to todays Pop music they were Einstein's.
So, once again, Gene is right.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
crazy thing about that song CADAVER/REVADAC from Unlucky Morpheus,.. it's like a 4 minutes song called Cadaver,.. then they stop,..and play the entire song again, in reverse, note for friggin note backwards,.. and call it Revadac.

That's insane.

That level of musicianship is off the charts insane.

If you go to the halfway point of that video around 4:30,.. it's silent, the first part (cadaver) has finished, then they come back and play it again backwards. (revadac)

Mind = blown

Zungle

Reaction score
that was cool. I've been listening to Unlucky Morpheus a lot more lately... I just really like that thrash kind of speedpicking riffs..and double-bass drumming

But....But.....

Shred has no feel.....its all weedley weedley.....and....and....its not Slashy or Pagey...or Acey.....

Foreign language, flutes, strings,female vocalist ,baritone guitars.....not in my 1/4/5 Rock-N-Roll god dammit.......it hurts my little bottom to think that hard....

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
he discusses it in the video. That in the old days the public dictated what was popular and what wasn't. You had to actually be good, and write good songs, to be noticed and have people want to hear your music.

Now the companies spend millions of dollars to promote and brainwash the masses by slamming pop-tarts down people's throats until they like them and buy the records.

he said the company will spend millions of dollars to make sure you hear "the latest single" everywhere you go. From movies to grocery stores to the radio to commercials,... until it's familiar and you like it. They're forcing people to hear the song until people like it.

But good music is good music, and people will naturally like what they like, they don't need to be brainwashed. But nowadays that's exactly what the record companies are doing.

I guess they lost so much money on file sharing they're just not going to take a chance on a new artist or support their growth. They're going to promote the living shit out of their manufactured product until people buy it.
Sounds kinda like what the industry did to Ashley O.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Un-iconic! Nice try, try again!

interesting that most songs of the past 20 years have been written by the same 2 people,... and they're sort of the same song. :laugh2:

we all suspected but it's interesting to see it confirmed with evidence. Also that "millennial whoop" ... I noticed it in a few different songs but didn't know that it had a name.
I have been saying here (for years) that the 1970s were the Golden Age of recorded modern music. I think his comment about timbre (peaking in the '60s) combined with improving recording capabilities intersected in the '70s to create some of the richest most textural music I have listened to. That includes lots of stuff that I don't particularly like, but can respect the awesomeness of the recording.

Last edited:

Latest Threads