This buzzing is killing me

LP1865

Reaction score
Theres this weird buzzing going on whenever I play and record with my interface.
Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

DJGranite

Reaction score
I didn't really hear a hum, but....
Does anything your using have a "ground lift"?
Many times one has worked to get rid of a hum for me.

HogmanA

Reaction score
It sounds like it is your guitar picking up interference from something, like your pc monitor. I say that because the buzzing sound is gated (and actually, it is the right frequency for a monitor - I get it all the time. If I need to stand near the monitor while recording, I turn the guitar 90 degrees, as in face another direction, then the buzzing stops).

Are you going through any outboard effects first before the interface?
Are you straight into the interface with software amp/ effects?
Is that popping a metronome or part of the interference? (I'm not being dim - I'm just not sure it is a metronome).

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluorescent light nearby? Incandescent or LEDs don't create hum, I think. A monitor shouldn't either, unless you're still using a CRT.

LP1865

Reaction score
It sounds like it is your guitar picking up interference from something, like your pc monitor. I say that because the buzzing sound is gated (and actually, it is the right frequency for a monitor - I get it all the time. If I need to stand near the monitor while recording, I turn the guitar 90 degrees, as in face another direction, then the buzzing stops).
I use my earphones to monitor my audio.
The earphones do touch my guitar.
I'll try what you're saying.
Are you going through any outboard effects first before the interface?
No
Are you straight into the interface with software amp/ effects?
Yes
Is that popping a metronome or part of the interference? (I'm not being dim - I'm just not sure it is a metronome).
Yeah, its the inbuilt metronome that Garageband has. I don't think its the problem but I'll still check. Coz the buzzing is there when I.m not recording too
Fluorescent light nearby? Incandescent or LEDs don't create hum, I think. A monitor shouldn't either, unless you're still using a CRT.
Yeah, a standard CFL version
Bluetooth or wifi devices nearby?
My phone

LP1865

Reaction score
Bump coz I need this out of my recordings

HogmanA

Reaction score
Even with my 2 flat screen monitors, I get buzzing similar to yours if my guitar is too close, wrong angle or clicked into single coil mode.
All I can suggest is that you eliminate as much as you can: turn the light off (CFL could be the culprit), turn monitor off if pc or move away from it.
Turn off everything else you can that might be on the same mains circuit. Turn off WiFi routers, including your phone.

Final thought: it's possible if you are using a USB powered interface that your pc is not providing a steady enough power and I have had this in the past with a laptop, but the effects of it was dropouts and pops, not buzz in my case.

LP1865

Reaction score
I figured it out.
Kept my phone away, it didn't go away.
Tried removing earphones. didn't go away.
Switched off the light, it worked.
Gotta stay away from these now.
Thanks a lot everyone

redking

Reaction score
Thought I would add this for anyone that uses a tube amp through a load box for direct recording - excessive noise can occur by sitting too close to the amp - if you get yourself 5 to 6 feet away, that should be good in most cases.

guitardon

Reaction score
I used to get him from somewhere. I could never figure it out. At a time when Radio Shack was open they sold me a cable that had rca jacks on both ends and in the middle there is this thing that looks like a battery. I put 1/4” converters on the rca jacks and it eliminated the sound. RS is gone but if you google hum eliminator they might be available or some other product to eliminate hum. This didn’t affect recording since the humming was post recorder (my Mac). I still use one today. Give it a shot, I’m sure you’ll find something similar.

LP1865

Reaction score
I used to get him from somewhere. I could never figure it out. At a time when Radio Shack was open they sold me a cable that had rca jacks on both ends and in the middle there is this thing that looks like a battery. I put 1/4” converters on the rca jacks and it eliminated the sound. RS is gone but if you google hum eliminator they might be available or some other product to eliminate hum. This didn’t affect recording since the humming was post recorder (my Mac). I still use one today. Give it a shot, I’m sure you’ll find something similar.
Cool thanks!!!

guitardon

Reaction score
Do a search on audio hum eliminator, there are tons of products out there. This one looks like the one that I have, I don’t know if it’s the same but it looks like it. And the price is great on these things.

here’s another link to a whole bunch of products. Never tried that but I’m sure there are even better than what I’m using. Although I really don’t ever hear any home.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I just quieted down my tube amp/loadbox/interface rig. I was using the firewire port to power my interface. I picked up an AC adapter for the interface and now it's powered independent of my macbook. Got rid of some noise when playing single coils.

Latest Threads