This Burst is a STEAL

Armenfish

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The one thing I always think about when I see Kirk Hammett is the youtube interview he did with Guitar Interactive Magazine and talks about when he and his wife evacuated because of the wildfires out west, and grabbed all the guitars they could and then snuck back later and got some more, but lost a few others, including one '59 LP, I think Thor's Hammer is what he called it. Greenie was already in England so that wasn't a worry. He plays Greenie in the beginning before the interview starts, un-amplified, and it's really acoustically loud.
Hi! I think Thor’s Hammer is still alive, at least last year! :)
He post it in instagram

Armenfish

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It doesn't much matter to me if Bursts are locked in vaults or museums.

When I was coming up, you NEVER even saw a Burst.

Maybe in a magazine, maybe an album, poster, maybe once a YEAR at a show....and never got to play one.

Now, hundreds are all over my computer, TV, DVDs, concerts, at guitar shows....and friends even own them....and I've owned them.

This is inarguably the best time to be on the planet if you love Bursts.

View attachment 549343
Hi Eric!

the one you are holding is Kirk’s guitar too, right? Or am i wrong?

thanks!

Renegade_Patriot

Reaction score
That's not Glen Kuykendall's burst is it? That's the only original burst I've ever come across that has a stinger. Plenty of ES hollow bodies and Juniors have stingers, but Glen's burst is the only one I've come across that has one.

If this IS Glen's burst, then it's one of the best sounding examples out there.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's not Glen Kuykendall's burst is it? That's the only original burst I've ever come across that has a stinger. Plenty of ES hollow bodies and Juniors have stingers, but Glen's burst is the only one I've come across that has one.

If this IS Glen's burst, then it's one of the best sounding examples out there.
It's not.

msalama

Reaction score
if Bursts are locked in vaults or museums
Museums I understand because yeah, these are important and valuable pieces of history, but in vaults 24/7/365? Nah. Owner's prerogative of course and you definitely want to keep yours safe, but if you never play it, it becomes just another piece of dead furniture that might as well not exist as a guitar anymore.

Mind you that I'm totally not against guitar collecting per se BTW, having owned numerous vintage Fenders in the past myself. But my axes were all played regularly, because IMO, a guitar either serves as one (even if on the lightest of duties) or it doesn't exist.

PS. The only vintage(ish) guitar I currently own is a '73 LP Deluxe and I, too, of course take good care of it. But it still gets played weekly even if it spends most of its days in a case under my bed, because a guitar is a guitar only if it's a GUITAR, isn't it?

Last edited:

GearHo

Reaction score
How good do you have to be to spend 400k on a guitar? they are for the rich and famous, but not most players.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How good do you have to be to spend 400k on a guitar? they are for the rich and famous, but not most players.
Some players get older and more financially secure, maybe not any better at playing ;) .

Doesn't look like a terrible investment, so I'll keep hoping. Surely won't improve my playing, but won't make it any worse either. At the end of the day they are just guitars, but if you love guitars, and you have a house and a car or two that serve your needs, quite a bit less boring than a bond or an investment trust.

Not most players, I'll agree. You can have really good Les Paul style guitar as a player for less than $1k. The rest of it is just vanity, cork-sniffing and hobbyists enjoying themselves. I'm all for it.

Liam

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There is value in the inspiration to play. If a guitar calls out to you from a wall hanger or case and makes you pick it up and play it, that's worth a whole lot.

TheWhigs

Reaction score
Museums I understand because yeah, these are important and valuable pieces of history, but in vaults 24/7/365? Nah. Owner's prerogative of course and you definitely want to keep yours safe, but if you never play it, it becomes just another piece of dead furniture that might as well not exist as a guitar anymore.

Mind you that I'm totally not against guitar collecting per se BTW, having owned numerous vintage Fenders in the past myself. But my axes were all played regularly, because IMO, a guitar either serves as one (even if on the lightest of duties) or it doesn't exist.

PS. The only vintage(ish) guitar I currently own is a '73 LP Deluxe and I, too, of course take good care of it. But it still gets played weekly even if it spends most of its days in a case under my bed, because a guitar is a guitar only if it's a GUITAR, isn't it?
I have some new/used guitars I play, I have some guitars which I've purchased used/new/vintage which I don't play.

Actually all of my belongings (as well as my wife's) are going to our kids.

moreles

Reaction score
What's the upside? It's too expensive, even as an investment, since the asking price is still top dollar. There may be buyers for whom money is no object and where market value, now and future, is not a concern, in which case, good for them. But I wouldn't overpay, period, and as far as I can tell, the price is way too high on this one. You can likely get an excellent burst and a couple of nice cars for that total.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
Damn, and I just bought an Epiphone.

Wish somebody had told be earlier!

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
... You can likely get an excellent burst and a couple of nice cars for that total.
Depends what you term a nice car. Nice cars can be got for as little as $10k, or way north of $100k, but lots of them them are really easily available when compared to nice late 1950's Les Paul Standards. Change from finding a nice burst cheaper than that one wouldn't buy a car that interested me that much. YMMV.

Liam

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a dream earlier this week that I somehow gained entry to an illegal mafia auction of big-ticket stolen goods. One of the items was a vintage '59 Burst, supposedly with the best top ever seen and in mint condition - but I was not allowed to even see it, only to bid blindly on it. I won with a final bid of $200K, thinking I got a steal - but how was I going to come up with the money? I got on my laptop and started frantically searching Google for "instant loans or lines of credit." Then my wife showed up at the auction site (a shady warehouse) and as I tried to explain how I had just lucked into this amazing deal, she reminded me that the guitar was stolen and that I'd end up having to surrender it to the authorities anyway - and still have to pay back the 200 grand. Deflated, I started searching for an escape from my deal with the mob and mercifully woke up.

The moral of the story is that I simply cannot afford a real Burst - even in my wildest dreams.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a dream earlier this week that I somehow gained entry to an illegal mafia auction of big-ticket stolen goods. One of the items was a vintage '59 Burst, supposedly with the best top ever seen and in mint condition - but I was not allowed to even see it, only to bid blindly on it. I won with a final bid of $200K, <snip>

The moral of the story is that I simply cannot afford a real Burst - even in my wildest dreams.
I reckon that is well over the odds for a stolen 'burst, no matter how pretty the top is. Even in your wildest dreams, you might just have a very good wife.

Liam

Latest Threads