Thinner back in the day

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sat on my arse for six weeks after the end of March and gained a few pounds. Then I went to work part time, and now I'm back at 155. I've weighed at the most 185 some years back, but my high school weight was 155-160.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
I just tipped the scale at 161!

I gained a pound during the lockdown!

Yeaaaaaaaa!

Flame suit on! :applause:

Uh, yeah........ your 15 minutes are up! :squint:
1whjgw.jpg

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sat on my arse for six weeks after the end of March and gained a few pounds. Then I went to work part time, and now I'm back at 155. I've weighed at the most 185 some years back, but my high school weight was 155-160.
Impressive!!!! I'm more than double my 12th grade weight :wow:

Barnaby

Reaction score
Wow...some slender peeps here.

Interesting article too and it might be true for others, but I don't buy it personally.

I come from a family that gets chunky easily but have always tried to fight it. My oldest brother has looked like a yuppie teletubby since his 30s and is now probably over 120kg. My weight goes up and down, but, when I'm eating right, working out and running 3-4 times a week, I tend to stay in the low 80s (again, kilograms). Mostly been that way since the actual '80s, with a few transgressions here and there.

For a while about five years ago, I went on a proper health kick, dieting, working out seriously and running about 50km a week. I went down to 74 kg. For someone 180cm tall, that's supposed to be an ideal weight according to the BMI charts, but it looked like I was recovering from a nasty case of cancer. One of my brothers called me "a broomstick with abs." People who barely knew me were saying "Dude, are you OK?"

When I went back up to 83, I looked better, felt better and was much happier. My heath check results were better too. Found the weight that worked for me.

Of course, living in Tokyo, eating local food with local portion sizes, and being surrounded by thin people helps a lot with maintaining a decent weight. In my job, I am also required to have a yearly health check and a doctor tells me off in Japanese if I do badly. The obesity rate here is about 3%, as opposed to 42% in the US, for example. I feel really self conscious here if I start to get even a little chubby.

The last time I was in the US, I was served what seemed to me to be a week's worth of food at lunchtime in a restaurant. We'd gone to a Thai place as a "healthy alternative" and I was served a swimming pool which someone had filled with green curry. I wasn't sure whether to eat or do laps. There was so much rice that I would have needed a sherpa to get to the summit. All around me, people were simply guzzling stuff down with impunity. Then, we went for a coffee. Someone (who had finished their whole meal with no apparent difficulty) actually said "Because I was good at lunch, I can spoil myself a little now" and had a jumbo drink with a pile of cream on top, tons of sugar and syrup and an actual chocolate bar sticking out of the top!

If I lived there, Australia or somewhere similar, I'd probably be at least 10kg heavier. Maybe a lot more.

Last edited:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
YUP. There is that too.

Funnily enough, coke makes a bottled coke drink in Mexico with real sugar and it's better than than "regular" coke. Lots better

Yup. You can get it here in places that stock hecho-in-Mexico Mexican food.

Also every spring, at least in places with substantial Jewish populations, you can get "Kosher for Passover" Coke - i.e. with cane sugar. Not sure why corn syrup violates Passover rules, but apparently it does.

rogue3

Reaction score
I was 260lbs when i hit 50years.(6'1")
At 53 i was 195,all fat gone.hard biking,same weight i was at 18 when i was lifting weights(same pant size too...i thought i would never go back,but i did.).
Stayed that way till 3 years ago...slow rise up to today> up10 maybe 15,but see an easy fix to reduce.i don't do sugar,and modest amount of carbs.no sweets, unless it's a gift.no 1500 calorie coffee(mdubya!) mochajavacaramelchocolateicing sugar..whatever.just start exercising again.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
YUP. There is that too.

Funnily enough, coke makes a bottled coke drink in Mexico with real sugar and it's better than than "regular" coke. Lots better

Also every spring, at least in places with substantial Jewish populations, you can get "Kosher for Passover" Coke - i.e. with cane sugar. Not sure why corn syrup violates Passover rules, but apparently it does.

EDIT: Okay, I looked it up.

Chametz (also spelled "hametz" or "chometz") is any food product made from wheat, barley, rye, oats or spelt that has come into contact with water and been allowed to ferment and “rise.”

In practice, just about anything made from these grains—other than Passover matzah, which is carefully controlled to avoid leavening—is to be considered chametz. This includes flour (even before it is mixed with water1), cake, cookies, pasta, breads, and items that have chametz as an ingredient, like malt.

This arises from the passage in Exodus mandating unleavened bread for the Passover (the original one, in Egypt). Since the Rulebook mandates completely removing every hint of leaven from the home, this was later codified by rabbis into forbidding any grain with a hint of having been fermented -- sourdough originally, now yeast, booze and pretty much any foodstuff that involves wheat, oats, barley etc and water.

However, since the Bible (or early rabbinical authorities) never mentioned corn or rice, they fall into a separate "gray area" called kitniyot, or "stuff that's suspiciously like chametz." This dates from the 13th century and was only ever a prohibited category for Ashkenazim, not Sephardim - and today not even the Ashkenazim, officially, although the more hardcore religious households still observe the ban.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score

Cracker Barrel chain stocks it too , in the old fashioned soda section.

f94f7343023b0b0974fda37e82e275f690-05-cracker-barrel.rsquare.w700.jpg

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
Wow...some slender peeps here.

Interesting article too and it might be true for others, but I don't buy it personally.

I come from a family that gets chunky easily but have always tried to fight it. My oldest brother has looked like a yuppie teletubby since his 30s and is now probably over 120kg. My weight goes up and down, but, when I'm eating right, working out and running 3-4 times a week, I tend to stay in the low 80s (again, kilograms). Mostly been that way since the actual '80s, with a few transgressions here and there.

For a while about five years ago, I went on a proper health kick, dieting, working out seriously and running about 50km a week. I went down to 74 kg. For someone 180cm tall, that's supposed to be an ideal weight according to the BMI charts, but it looked like I was recovering from a nasty case of cancer. One of my brothers called me "a broomstick with abs." People who barely knew me were saying "Dude, are you OK?"

When I went back up to 83, I looked better, felt better and was much happier. My heath check results were better too. Found the weight that worked for me.

Of course, living in Tokyo, eating local food with local portion sizes, and being surrounded by thin people helps a lot with maintaining a decent weight. In my job, I am also required to have a yearly health check and a doctor tells me off in Japanese if I do badly. The obesity rate here is about 3%, as opposed to 42% in the US, for example. I feel really self conscious here if I start to get even a little chubby.

The last time I was in the US, I was served what seemed to me to be a week's worth of food at lunchtime in a restaurant. We'd gone to a Thai place as a "healthy alternative" and I was served a swimming pool which someone had filled with green curry. I wasn't sure whether to eat or do laps. There was so much rice that I would have needed a sherpa to get to the summit. All around me, people were simply guzzling stuff down with impunity. Then, we went for a coffee. Someone (who had finished their whole meal with no apparent difficulty) actually said "Because I was good at lunch, I can spoil myself a little now" and had a jumbo drink with a pile of cream on top, tons of sugar and syrup and an actual chocolate bar sticking out of the top!

If I lived there, Australia or somewhere similar, I'd probably be at least 10kg heavier. Maybe a lot more.
You have an entertaining way of writing. Made me smile. Thank You.

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
Funny thing with the real sugar drinks: I actually prefer corn syrup Mountain Dew to sugar.

A rather moot point, however, since i drink diet Mountain Dew instead. To my palate , diet Mt. Dew is the only diet drink that is close to spot on to the regular. But our taste buds are all different.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Cracker Barrel chain stocks it too , in the old fashioned soda section.

f94f7343023b0b0974fda37e82e275f690-05-cracker-barrel.rsquare.w700.jpg
My problem when I go to Cracker Barrel is not which kind of Coke I buy :D

Honestly, I generally don't do any sugary sweet drinks. I can count on one hand the number of sweetened drinks I've had in the last 6 months. Normally, it's unsweetened iced tea, coffee, beer, or whiskey.

Latest Threads