Thinline build - "The Freddy"

Barnaby

Reaction score
A little more...

Now, the fingerboard is planed to thickness and the fret slots cut.

Note that the frets around the 12th space are not cut deeply but only lightly marked with the saw. This is because the inlay will go there and cutting the slots to proper depth can make edges of the cavity collapse. Here is the inlay laid out.

Then, the outline is drawn on a piece of paper. This is then glued to the board and lacquered over to stop the edges fuzzing up as I carve. I do so with a series of chisels.

The proper fitting will take a while but the basic shapes are done. I’ll put it aside for tonight so as to not work tired…that’s when mistakes happen.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking piece of Macassar. And the bird is very classy! Just thinking about inlaying that with hand tools makes my head hurt! :applause:

Barnaby

Reaction score
That's a nice looking piece of Macassar. And the bird is very classy! Just thinking about inlaying that with hand tools makes my head hurt! :applause:

Honestly, it's not so bad. The hardest inlay I ever did was on my first ever build. I have to admit, however, that a Dremel (or similar) and base are very much near the top my list if and when I head down the power tool path. I suspect that there's really little advantage to doing this sort of work by hand except for the fine motor skill practice.

I forgot to mention that I use the eggbeater drill in a stand to do depth holes around the edge. It's surprisingly fast and results in level cavity sides.

TKOjams

Reaction score
51N1RCDQA3L.jpg

Oh well, so much for the "pure thoughts"

:laugh2:

rockdog

Reaction score
What a neat inlay idea! And BTW, may the (hand-tooled) Force be with you, that maple tops are simply sick! :applause:

mux164

Reaction score
hey barnaby another stunning guitar, do us all a favor and never get any power tools. all of your guitars are amazing!, makes my build look like monkey poo

Barnaby

Reaction score
Oh well, so much for the "pure thoughts"

:laugh2:

I see you've been hanging around my workshop taking photos again...:naughty:

What a neat inlay idea! And BTW, may the (hand-tooled) Force be with you, that maple tops are simply sick! :applause:

Cheers! I'm hoping it looks OK. Inlays are one of my (many) weak points as a builder,

hey barnaby another stunning guitar, do us all a favor and never get any power tools. all of your guitars are amazing!, makes my build look like monkey poo

Thanks...but your build is looking great, I have to say. No monkey poo there!!!

As for power tools, we shall see. I suspect that they may be in my future, but only if I continue building after guitar #10 or so. That's the moment when I have decided to undergo a bit of reflection about the whole process, including wondering what it is all for. :D

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As for power tools, we shall see. I suspect that they may be in my future, but only if I continue building after guitar #10 or so. That's the moment when I have decided to undergo a bit of reflection about the whole process, including wondering what it is all for. :D

In my opinion Barnaby you have approached lutherie in a wise way. You have been through a hell of an old school woodworking education because you learned all of your building skills the hard way. You gain a much greater
understanding of the material when you are in intimate contact with it. There's a feedback that you get when pushing (or pulling) a handtool through the material that is much diminished if working with power tools alone. I'll bet that even after you decide it's time to start using power tools you will not abandon hand tools...you'll just figure out where there is not much benefit in doing an operation by hand and use power as a time saving convenience. It's kind of like learning math without using a calculator...after you know and understand the formulas you use the calculator because it's saves time.

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
Barnaby, did you ever do a review of the Katana and littlebone fret leveling/dressing, if not this would be as good a time as any :)

Barnaby

Reaction score
Barnaby, did you ever do a review of the Katana and littlebone fret leveling/dressing, if not this would be as good a time as any :)

Hey! Haven't yet - almost no time. I hope to before the next ice age comes, so...

...probably this year. :fingersx:

any progress?

Not recently, sadly. There was a big push to get the top onto the body so as not to have it warp, but now work has taken over my life. I have managed a bit more on the sister build that was started first. Here's a link.

mux164

Reaction score
yeah i know what its like to have work get in the way,i only have to cut a recess for my electronics cavity cover and do the cavity cover and im ready for paint, the place i go to do my guitar is only open 2 days a week and both days this week i had to do overtime so i missed out. anywho im always impressed with your work

Barnaby

Reaction score
yeah i know what its like to have work get in the way,i only have to cut a recess for my electronics cavity cover and do the cavity cover and im ready for paint, the place i go to do my guitar is only open 2 days a week and both days this week i had to do overtime so i missed out. anywho im always impressed with your work

Cheers! There's never enough time for this, but I do what I can. Sounds like things are very similar for you. :wave:

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
Hey! Haven't yet - almost no time. I hope to before the next ice age comes, so...

...probably this year. :fingersx:

No problem, look forward to it when it comes. What are your initial views on them and reckon they'd be any good for an amateur? I've a couple of old guitars I'd like to bring back to life but just aren't worth the cost of a levelling. There's so much info on these boards and it's not rocket science so thought it's about time I took the leap.

Barnaby

Reaction score
yeah im a beef technician and we dont have a designated finish time so its whenever we are done is when we go home, hopefully monday and thursday this week are good days so i can get my guitar ready for paint grrrr

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/218971-chambered-out-dg-335-a-2.html#post5152665

It's looking excellent - great guitar on the way! :applause:

I'm amazed you get anything done on your schedule. I feel shame every-time I read a build post by you.

Awww...you shouldn't. I'm not a person who works hard. I just play one on television. :D

No problem, look forward to it when it comes. What are your initial views on them and reckon they'd be any good for an amateur? I've a couple of old guitars I'd like to bring back to life but just aren't worth the cost of a levelling. There's so much info on these boards and it's not rocket science so thought it's about time I took the leap.

I have a very high opinion of the system, and suspect it would be a useful addition to the arsenal for either pros or amateurs. I've used it quite a few times now and, as long as the neck is fundamentally sound, it does an excellent job. :thumb:

mux164

Reaction score
has work given you a let up yet? we had a public holiday today so im nearly ready to prep my bad boy for paint woop woop

Barnaby

Reaction score
has work given you a let up yet? we had a public holiday today so im nearly ready to prep my bad boy for paint woop woop

Congrats!!!

Nope, no letup. I was hoping for one, but it's looking like nothing but late nights and weekends in the office until August at this point.

This guitar can take its time, however. The main worry for me was to get the top on the body to avoid it warping badly in summer. My other thinline is coming along a bit faster. It's in finishing.

Latest Threads