Thinking of trading my 5150 head...

espvh

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm thinking of trading my 5150 sig head for a JCM 800 or a plexi re-issue, if I could find one. Still chasing that grail tone (early VH) and can come close with the 5150, but I think I can come closer with a Marshall. Money wise, are they about even value, or would I need to pay in? Btw, the 5150 is almost dead mint, 9.5 out of 10.
Thanks!

espvh

Reaction score
Anyone? Would that be a fair trade, a 5150 for a JCM800 or plexi reissue?

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Anyone? Would that be a fair trade, a 5150 for a JCM800 or plexi reissue?
Depends on if the dude you are trading with wants that type of tone. If so, then yes, that is a fair trade. ;)

Im thinking you can find a used JCM800 for about the same price as a slighty used or new 5150.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Reaperc89

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't trade the 5150 for a JCM800. Those are two different worlds, and they aren't exactly interchangeable. If you want to though, you might be able to get a used one that is in decent condition.

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
Have you looked at Soldano? That's pretty much a hot rodded Marshall like Eddie used. Although the 5150 is a copy of the Soldano, so I dunno. Keep in mind however, 99% of it is in his fingers.

eddy999

Reaction score
Doesn't sound far off to me either. If you like the 5150 then stick with it. Alternatively look at a Soldano as recommended above. I built a SLO clone that sounds fantastic. For the real thing you're looking at $3800 new compared to $1000 for the 5150 (well the 6505 anyway), and you may end up no closer to the sound you want.

Have you experimented with tubes and different speakers?

espvh

Reaction score
Doesn't sound far off to me either. If you like the 5150 then stick with it. Alternatively look at a Soldano as recommended above. I built a SLO clone that sounds fantastic. For the real thing you're looking at $3800 new compared to $1000 for the 5150 (well the 6505 anyway), and you may end up no closer to the sound you want.

Have you experimented with tubes and different speakers?
Not with tubes, but I did switch from 75w Celestions to these Celestion g12 30mg's:

notoperational

Reaction score
Depends on if the dude you are trading with wants that type of tone. If so, then yes, that is a fair trade. ;)

Im thinking you can find a used JCM800 for about the same price as a slighty used or new 5150.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Definitely wrong.

JCM800s can be worth a pretty penny... We're talking around or above $1,000 in some cases.

Totally different animal than a 5150 as well... Nothing about those amps sound like Van Halen's tone. You will see more metalcore bands using those than people trying to play Eruption ha.

Just my $.02 :)

Deftone

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm thinking of trading my 5150 sig head for a JCM 800 or a plexi re-issue, if I could find one. Still chasing that grail tone (early VH) and can come close with the 5150, but I think I can come closer with a Marshall. Money wise, are they about even value, or would I need to pay in? Btw, the 5150 is almost dead mint, 9.5 out of 10.
Thanks!
You might want to look into and do a little research on Phaez amplifiers. Randy Fay hand builds them in Canada and his original "DaisyCutter" head is the culmination of his relentless pursuit of the early VH "Brown Sound."

There are several "You Tube" clips and lots of testimony right here on MLP and all over the Internet on how good these amps really are.

I own an original 14w Daisycutter myself, It's an incredible amp.

Phaez Amps Models

Phaez Amplifiers

Standard 64

Reaction score
Have you looked at Soldano? That's pretty much a hot rodded Marshall like Eddie used. Although the 5150 is a copy of the Soldano, so I dunno. Keep in mind however, 99% of it is in his fingers.
Its in the fingers is right,your chasing your tail.Did you hear about when Ted Nugent played through Eddies rig?Ted sounded like Ted Nugent and couldnt get the Van Halen sound....

indeedido

Reaction score
The 5150 is going for around $500 to $600 on ebay. A plexi reissue is $1000 and a JCM 800 depending on model goes around $1000 to $1400.

If you have use for the volume of a plexi, that is your best bet. But unless you are using your 5150 volume at about 7 or 8 now, the plexi isn't going to work for you. They are loud bitches and need to be on ten.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Definitely wrong.

JCM800s can be worth a pretty penny... We're talking around or above $1,000 in some cases.

Totally different animal than a 5150 as well... Nothing about those amps sound like Van Halen's tone. You will see more metalcore bands using those than people trying to play Eruption ha.

Just my $.02 :)
:laugh2:

Thanks man. I thought I was in the ballpark. Ive saw JCM800's that were not the 2203 models that were fairly cheap.

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
+1 on whoever mentioned swapping speakers. Most people overlook this in guitar amps, but its the biggest and easiest improvement you can make IMO.

Some of the people (Clapton, Warren) who use Soldanos have used the EVM12L's. I got the Eminence copies (Delta Pro 12A) which I think sound fantastic with my SLO.. very clear, never harsh or fuzzy. These are PA speakers rated at like 400w... so they won't distort or color your sound like Celestions will.... you'll just hear your amp. From there you can determine if you still aren't getting the sound you want.

espvh

Reaction score
+1 on whoever mentioned swapping speakers. Most people overlook this in guitar amps, but its the biggest and easiest improvement you can make IMO.

Some of the people (Clapton, Warren) who use Soldanos have used the EVM12L's. I got the Eminence copies (Delta Pro 12A) which I think sound fantastic with my SLO.. very clear, never harsh or fuzzy. These are PA speakers rated at like 400w... so they won't distort or color your sound like Celestions will.... you'll just hear your amp. From there you can determine if you still aren't getting the sound you want.
I might try that, I gt those speakers for a few reasons, first I was told they break up a little early and add to the tone, I also read somewhere that those were the speakers that Malmsteen used for the same reason, and last was the cost, they were pretty cheap and worth a try, maybe I should put back the Celestion G12K85 that came with the vtm cab?

bluesguitar65

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks!
I think you should seriously read this article from the horse's mouth about Eddie's tone.

EVH on Marshalls, Action, Tone, More

WoodyTone

Reaction score
A 5150 or Soldano SLO (both similar) is a significantly different amp than an early Marshall-type amp. If you really want his early tone, you can't get it with a 5150/SLO, nor will you be able to trade a used 5150 (around $500-600) straight across for a Marshall -- which you will want with a master vol, so JCM800 or plexi-type with MV.

Re: getting basic Ed tone, many factors but to my ears it's upper mids which is definitely a Marshall thing. A Marshall-type amp (I use a Top Hat Emplexador and it's great), 4x12 with good Greenbacks and the right pickup for your setup and that should get you a lot of the way there.

Whatever you do, make sure you play your guitar through it.

bg65, thanks for the link!

espvh

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm about done going for that tone with the 5150, but, I'm kind of happy with this tone I've got currently, opinions? & I'll probably keep looking for a JCM 800, maybe find a deal, bg65, thanks for the link!

Latest Threads