Thinking of ordering some custom pickups from Seymour Duncan...

LtKojak

Reaction score
Benjamin... in this forum Seymour Duncan is snobbed because even though he almost practically started the whole "boutique" aftermarket p'up market, having built the Seymour Duncan Co. he's NOT considered "boutique" anymore.

His Custom Shop p'ups are the best you can get and then some. He and his team can literally build anything you want/like.

He just doesn't market hype and/or BS you like many other "boo-tick" winders do.

Having second thoughts 'bout the quality he can deliver is like to worry about the Pope not being Catholic enough!

HTH,

Benjammin

Reaction score
I do worry about the pope sometimes :laugh2:

Its not that I doubt the quality, I just dont know enough about what they do in the Custom Shop, or with regular pickups for that matter. How would a CS JB be different than a standard production JB. I would like it so sound a bit "better" than a JB, with more clarity and fine detail (more "PAF" like) I wouldnt know how to order that in technical terms though

LtKojak

Reaction score
I do worry about the pope sometimes :laugh2:

Its not that I doubt the quality, I just dont know enough about what they do in the Custom Shop, or with regular pickups for that matter. How would a CS JB be different than a standard production JB. I would like it so sound a bit "better" than a JB, with more clarity and fine detail (more "PAF" like) I wouldnt know how to order that in technical terms though

Talk to Maricela Juarez, she's the head of the Custom Shop, and just tell her what you would like that p'up to do for you. No need to tech-talk.

Anyway, looks like you'd like a JB that doesn't sound like a JB? Well... I think you'll gotta do better than that describing your dream p'up of yours, or no matter who you'll choose, you'll end up with something that won't satisfy you.

You need to be SURE what EXACTLY you'll looking for in a p'up and what you need that p'up to do for you... but first you need to be sure with yourself WHAT YOU WANT.

HTH,

Benjammin

Reaction score
Talk to Maricela Juarez, she's the head of the Custom Shop, and just tell her what you would like that p'up to do for you. No need to tech-talk.

Anyway, looks like you'd like a JB that doesn't sound like a JB? Well... I think you'll gotta do better than that describing your dream p'up of yours, or no matter who you'll choose, you'll end up with something that won't satisfy you.

You need to be SURE what EXACTLY you'll looking for in a p'up and what you need that p'up to do for you... but first you need to be sure with yourself WHAT YOU WANT.

HTH,

Well, my point is that a regular JB isnt worth $170, people say the custom shop pickups are "better", better how, I have no idea. I can imagine a JB being "better" but have no idea about how that works.

Dr Distortion posted a nice demo of his CS Pearly Gates, but without a side by side comparison to an "off the shelf" Pearly Gate pickup, it doesnt help gauge the difference. He described them as "far more complex sounding", which to me is what separates the boutique pickups I have and have used, and the off the shelf Duncans that I have used. A "far more complex sounding" JB would be great and worth extra money (potentially)

The specific reason I'm ordering a custom pickup, is because I want a humbucking pickup that I can fit into a p90 route without modification. It has nothing to do with a "dream pickup" or trying to reinvent the JB formula

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I think the SD custom shop pickups are wound to a specific voicing that the custom requests. Like, "I would like a Pearly Gate with smoother top end, and hotter in the lower mids" kinda thing. So I would tell them that you want a JB that behaves, and sounds P90ish, along with any other voicing specifics you have. Is there a recoded piece of music you could have them listen to, to show them what you are after? And of course, the "mechanical" things you need as well. If they did all that for you, it's worth the money.

Benjammin

Reaction score
I think the SD custom shop pickups are wound to a specific voicing that the custom requests. Like, "I would like a Pearly Gate with smoother top end, and hotter in the lower mids" kinda thing. So I would tell them that you want a JB that behaves, and sounds P90ish, along with any other voicing specifics you have. Is there a recoded piece of music you could have them listen to, to show them what you are after? And of course, the "mechanical" things you need as well. If they did all that for you, it's worth the money.

I'm not as interested in tweaking the sound of the JB as it may seem, I just want custom spaced pickups. The only info I could find on their site is that they can do pretty much anything (quite vague for someone like me who has no clue) I sent Maricela an email, asking if they could make humbuckers that would fit P90 routes, she said they could make any of their pickups that size and shape, my favorite Duncan bridge being the JB

The problem I'm having is determining the worth of it. I was quoted $170 per pickup, as I said, I think that much money for a regular old JB is too much. From my understanding, the CS hand winds their pickups, but I dont know much much that would affect the tone of the pickup, maybe they use better quality parts, again I dont know. That much extra money for the specialty spacing isnt really worth the money either IMO, you can get a Dimarzio soapbar sized humbucker for $70-90 from any of their vendors

If I could just expect the Custom Shop pickups to be "that much better" than thats one thing; but if I have to know what to ask for to get them "better" or worth the extra money, than I guess I'm shit out of luck. It would be cheaper for me to have the guitar converted to proper humbuckers, than I could put in any pickup I like

CL-10

Reaction score
I've had great experiences with the S.D. Custom Shop. I talked w/Seymour directly on the repair of a vintage PAF i had that went dead, and w/ Maricela on 2 other projects ie; a set of double cream Antiquities wound to a little different resistance than are normally found, and on a '78 model too. They have an "800" number so you can call and talk to them directly to discuss what you're looking to accomplish. The price is consistant with most of the other custom boutique winders. Off-the rack prices are going to be less than tailor made prices. I believe Wolfetone also winds to your specs with a wind em till you like em policy. Call and talk to them and see what you think after talking to them is my recomendation.

Benjammin

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm not looking for custom wound pickups, I need custom sized and shaped pickups

Latest Threads