Thinking of Moving My 72' Custom....HELP

afjungemann

Reaction score
You are more man than me... I would never be able to let that guitar go, no matter the price. It is in amazing condition and from a lost era.

Jester

Reaction score
Earlier this month I picked up a 1971 Les Paul Deluxe that was in good to very good condition. I paid $2,750 for the guitar. While it's not a custom, thought this might help give you some additional data points on that era.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
You know those times when you catch yourself dreaming and wishing you were in a financial situation that allowed you to just drop $5k on impulse?... this is one of those times... man I wish I had $5k to blow! Beautiful LPC. Good look with the sale... methinks she will go fast! :)

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Reaction score
Your LPC is drop-dead gorgeous. You know this guitar in and out. It sounds like you have no issues with it and have cherished it for many years? If you really need the other guitar, and I assume you need to move quickly, I cannot stress enough how you should spend an incredible amount of time going over every possible detail on the new one. Not every new Gibson is perfect, and at any price, you really have to scrutinize new Gibsons to make sure you're not going to bring it home and after two or three weeks of fiddling you realize there's a bad fret spot. Then you'll feel like you traded your old prize for a turd. Believe me, it happens and it has happened to me. Just my $1.50. Personally, I would keep the LPC, buy the new guitar with a credit card, and see how things go down the road - if you can make the payments, good. If you have to sell your LPC later (or you later decide you hate the new guitar), you will retain the option of selling either guitar. Either way, I would NOT sell that LPC for a paltry $4,000. Not on your life.

Additional: I just saw that you have the early 70's "Gibson" stamped pickups. Those pickups are incredible rare, and would command quite a sum on their own, if only for collectors/owners of a Gibson 25th anniversary Custom that originally had those pickups, but were changed. I can tell you that I had one of those Customs in cream, (don't recall the anniversary year - was it 25th anniversary in 1974?), it said "25th Anniversary" at the 12th fret. It was a "fretless wonder". In 1991 I had a friend swap the pickups for EMG's, and he threw out the old stamped pickups. When I sold it later, I lost hundreds because it didn't have those originals. Keep that in mind.

Guitar_Symphony

Reaction score
Your LPC is drop-dead gorgeous. You know this guitar in and out. It sounds like you have no issues with it and have cherished it for many years? If you really need the other guitar, and I assume you need to move quickly, I cannot stress enough how you should spend an incredible amount of time going over every possible detail on the new one. Not every new Gibson is perfect, and at any price, you really have to scrutinize new Gibsons to make sure you're not going to bring it home and after two or three weeks of fiddling you realize there's a bad fret spot. Then you'll feel like you traded your old prize for a turd. Believe me, it happens and it has happened to me. Just my $1.50. Personally, I would keep the LPC, buy the new guitar with a credit card, and see how things go down the road - if you can make the payments, good. If you have to sell your LPC later (or you later decide you hate the new guitar), you will retain the option of selling either guitar. Either way, I would NOT sell that LPC for a paltry $4,000. Not on your life.

Additional: I just saw that you have the early 70's "Gibson" stamped pickups. Those pickups are incredible rare, and would command quite a sum on their own, if only for collectors/owners of a Gibson 25th anniversary Custom that originally had those pickups, but were changed. I can tell you that I had one of those Customs in cream, (don't recall the anniversary year - was it 25th anniversary in 1974?), it said "25th Anniversary" at the 12th fret. It was a "fretless wonder". In 1991 I had a friend swap the pickups for EMG's, and he threw out the old stamped pickups. When I sold it later, I lost hundreds because it didn't have those originals. Keep that in mind.

Ya the embossed pickups are a cool touch on these...I believe they were used 71-72 only....someone correct me if im wrong.......yes Im sure I will miss the guitar...But I think The GAS of that 59' is getting to me...haha

RRfireblade

Reaction score
*Edit

Well it sounds like you all ready know what you think its worth lol. Get it listed in a B/S/T and find out, fishin's a lot better over there too. ;-)

Guitar_Symphony

Reaction score
*Edit

Well it sounds like you all ready know what you think its worth lol. Get it listed in a B/S/T and find out, fishin's a lot better over there too. ;-)
I was hoping to get input on what 100% originals would sell for...I got an idea now........Guitar is for sale in Members Classifieds now.....Thanks Guys...need that 59' RI haha

Kris Ford

Reaction score
R9 is downgrade IMO...
Southern Rock with a Custom:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBI82Iq4jf8[/ame]
Your Custom would eat an R9 alive for Southern Rock...:cool:

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I hear ya bro..but the small frets on these old o0nes arent as comfortable for me with all the bending I do.....and I cannot come to refret an original in theis type cond.

I got ya man..all the "cool" in the world can't fix playability issues.

BUT..if you knew it was "THE ONE", a pro refret wouldn't be a sin in my book, should you then be able to enjoy it to it's full potential...but I do respect your decision to move it on rather than attempt a refret that may not even work for you.

:thumb:

roeg

Reaction score
I remember those embossed pup covers.That Black Beauty is gorgeous.

Lots of good info on price...seems close to me around 5 large.

Lots of naysayers, don't do it...I have to agree

You have a prize there. Kept in that shape, down the road, will go higher. An appreciating assest.

I get the fretwire thing, they are not for everyone, HOWEVER, it really is dependant on your playing ability, and where are you going with guitar.I say this because today,for me,while I prefer larger frets, i know I would deal with it(small frets),and make gorgeous music with that axe..A plus to the small fret guitar is it plays chord work very nicely,as there is less tendency to push smaller frets sharp.Once in my hands i would NEVER sell that black beauty.Till the end.

Back in the day when I was learning,i most certainly would have traded it,sold it for the next more beautiful burst.I was always tempted then.And had a long way to go to really learn how to get the best out of my guitars.

If guitar ends up being your thing 20+ years down the road,you will regret selling it.Just my take.Those R Lespauls are going to be around in the used market for a long time to come,yet.Good luck.

bradley707

Reaction score
I had a 74 custom in good original condition (tho not nearly as mint as yours) - with the original fretless wonder frets - and I agonized for a long time about whether or not to refret.

Ultimately I decided to throw collectibility to the wind and do the refret - and I couldn't be happier. With the tiny frets it was a pain in the ass to play - now it's easily my favorite guitar and I play it at all my gigs. I can't imagine ever selling it.

So my advice - refret and keep it.

Latest Threads