Thinking of getting my CDL

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's no one there. Drivers park them right outside the garage, and I take them. Nothing shady about that.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is the running joke, but I don't know who knows it :shock:

@slacky, yea it pays nicely for a part time job. I'm pretty excited about it.

Blues4U

Reaction score
Trucker Clock, Who wants it?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHR9LEZD58U[/ame]

kjwolfer

Reaction score
Go Big Red! I'm originally from Nebraska now hail from Alaska since 2003.

Depends on what state your in. I'm in Nebraska and only have to have a physical every two years.

Lampens

Reaction score
So you can go to your DMV and fill out some forms and you are allowed to drive a big rig truck? Or am I missing something here? And a physical for big truck driving truckers isn't such a bad idea. If they have poor vison. chance of hypoglycaemia, or a heartattack. they are bound to do some serious damage. Ever seen the result of a truck rear ending a row of cars at a traffic jam or red light? Lots of fun for the paramedics. The undertaker is doing a jig and running to the car dealer to buy a mercedes ****in benz.

I really have my doubts about how you go about obtaining drivers licenses. Looks like a joke to me. Can somebody fill me out on this. Hope I'm wrong though.

Hamtone

Reaction score
I have my cdl class b but have driven many tractor trailers

You need to go take a written exam for your commercial license at the same time you can take all the written exams for for all the other endorsements like

doubles, triples, hazmat, tanks etc

Then their is the driving test which is pretty standard

you have the pre trip inspection you walk the rig with the proctor going through the checklist and he will ask you why you are looking at what you are and he may throw a wrench at you and tell you to adjust the brakes.

the driving exam which has you doing typical driving stuff as well as alley dock

For some reason the 3rd part escapes me seems to me it may have been log book and post trip or maybe the road test was one thing and the alley dock and whatever was separate anyway you will fail if you fail on any one of the things listed above but only have to pass what failed you the next time if needed.

then as noted physical exam

I did this many years ago. Here in maine I dont remember if it is everywhere but even know Im not a commercial driver I have a cdl and the law for me to be under .04 bac at any given time operating a vehicle.

Lampens

Reaction score
That seems pretty standard, the paperwork thing is only needed over here if you're going to drive commercially. It's a seperate thing from the driving license. I got my truck driving license in the army and it's only for a simple truck. If you wanna drive a trailer you need to get another licence for that seperately.

How many lessons do you have to take before you can take the driving test?

Btw, you have to take a physical over here only when you get it the first time and everytime you have to renew your license every 10 years.
I think it's a good idea to have a physical for people who transport other people or who drive dangerous vehicles more often then that.

I got the impression from sins post earlier that you can just do some tests and you get a license for a truck.
They did that over here up till the seventies, you could get your license for every class without doing shit for it.

What is 0,4 bac btw?

Hamtone

Reaction score
You dont have to do lessons you can take the written exam and send right in for your test date if you want, thats what I did. It was about 60 days or so if I recall before my driving test date. Its also expensive and to have and maintain a class A cdl now you have to be a owner operator that requires the class, or work for a company that will maintain it for you. At least thats what I remember hearing.

It cost me well over $100 to renew my license but I have

Hazmat, airbrakes, tank, for endorsements.

Lampens

Reaction score
So you can go to the test, wing it and you can drive a big rig on the open road without at least a bit of experience? That sounds like a bad idea.

Hazmat you have to take again every 5 years or something over here.
And driving trucks that transports liquids you have to do something extra as well. because that shit moves ofcourse when driving and cornering and could lead to nasty shit.

jerryo

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience driving the bigger trucks? Biggest thing I've ever driven was an old f250.

I drive OTR for company out of California.

I have been away from home since Feb...

What else would u like to know... :laugh2:

Sukkoi19

Reaction score
I used to do OTR tractor-trailer before I went back to school. Decent money and you get to see the country. On the other hand expect to be gone 3 weeks at a time with only a day or two at home in between. Companies can also be very predatory about hiring you and then making you sign a contract for a certain period with a monetary penalty if you quit before your time is up. Its not a life that I could see myself doing for more than the 2 years I did.

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
Hazmat, airbrakes, tank, for endorsements.
I had every possible endorsement when I transferred my Class A to a CDL in 1991.

Since then, school bus became a separate endorsement from passenger bus.
And HazMat must be renewed with a Homeland Security check.

Fxck 'em.

I used to say I was licensed to drive anything from motorcycles to the space shuttle, and carry gun while doing it.

:cool: :D

Latest Threads