Thinking About Buying an eBay Kit?

Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Well...

I have had dozens of inquiries through my blog as to the quality of this kit and that kit and where can one get a good cheap Les Paul Kit…

Why me?

I don’t know... It’s not like this is my main gig or anything, but because I aim to please, and I have the spare change (thanks to small donations and Add clicks).

So here you are: eBay Unfinished Guitars and Gutar Kit Reviews

Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
And wow... :eek:

I just notified the seller of these kits of the review... Boy did they go bonkers.

Perhaps I'll publish the conversation as well :lol:

It's crazy but these blog pages "about guitars" get about 5000 hits a month... I wish I could do so well for my real work.

Dannomite

Reaction score

Thanks for the warning. I can't believe they're selling that for any price at all. It's atrocious. Please do publish the conversation. I can only imagine that they produced a bigger pile in their pants once they found out you were reviewing it.

Daniel

Banned
Reaction score

Thanks for the warning. I can't believe they're selling that for any price at all. It's atrocious. Please do publish the conversation. I can only imagine that they produced a bigger pile in their pants once they found out you were reviewing it.
I think I will... Going to take forever to sort it out though :shock:... I was just talking about it over here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/153168-just-language-barrier.html

You know... I will probably need to start doing these "reviews" on a separate blog... I really wish I'd thought about that when I started because it's really gotten out of hand.

Been a whole lot of fun though.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure at least 1 of those Chinese ebay kits are just unfinished guitars from that ZXC Guitars mob who sell fake Gibsons on Trade Tang

shaun

Banned
Reaction score
If you live in Australia, im pretty sure that GuitarAus sells 'GM' kits, by journey of China of course.
Having knowing this now, i would have bypassed the 18 months of crap that i put up with George, and waited to buy one of these.

Goodcleanfun

Reaction score
You know... I will probably need to start doing these "reviews" on a separate blog... I really wish I'd thought about that when I started because it's really gotten out of hand.

Been a whole lot of fun though.
The food/restaurant critic at the magazine I work for (I do the photography) uses an alias when she writes the reviews to avoid backlash. It's not a terrible idea.

She said she does it now because when she worked for a magazine in LA, gave a restaurant a fair (bad) review they sent death threats to her house and office.

Crazy shit, bro.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Good for you. If you saved one person getting ripped off on one of these kits then it was worth it.

Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
:shock: Yea... I'm gettin' some heat now.

I'm wondering if some people reading the "reviews" are missing the last points I made (several readers have dropped me notes and made comments taking exception to my "expectations"...

The biggest problem with these kits are the necks, one bent twisted and one just about hollowed out with spongy wood... Both fatally flawed and unusable

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
You are trying to help people from getting ripped off and you have a counterfeit lp website advertising on your blog :shock:

Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
You are trying to help people from getting ripped off and you have a counterfeit lp website advertising on your blog :shock:
You didn't find the irony funny? :laugh2:

Those are served up by The Great God Google.

Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Yep... They sent me another one.

They also sent me a long letter asking me what they need to do in order to produce a better product.

I didn't know how to tell them they are probably asking the wrong guy (i'm just a loudmouthed photographer with a guitar habit :rolleyes:).

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
If you live in Australia, im pretty sure that GuitarAus sells 'GM' kits, by journey of China of course.
Having knowing this now, i would have bypassed the 18 months of crap that i put up with George, and waited to buy one of these.
Those solid top kits look damn good, I just wish they didnt have the bridge holes pre-drilled.

Cpt_Gonzo

Reaction score
They do? Link please?

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
I have not seen any assembly problems reported on "Precision" kits. On the one I have, the neck is at an appropriate relationship to the body and the rest looks good. They are not fast on email response so some patience is required. I ordered mine unbound and with fretboard uninstalled so I could bind it and I am putting "traps" into it. I did ask them to mark the neck where the nut would be and they did so. By measurement, it will be in the "safe" zone for compensation with the recommended Gotoh bridge. It is not a "burst" replica- for that, go to BFCG and/or Tom Bartlett's(alk-3; Eastern Maple Carved Tops) if you want trouble-free assembly.

Latest Threads