Thinking about an all pine tele...

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
So I have some pine lying around and I thought I could make a telecaster with it. It would be a 4 piece body and a 1 piece neck. Do you think it would be stable? I know pine is good for guitars but I'm not so sure about a 4 peice body and a all pine neck. What's your thoughts?

Fracture

Reaction score
Sampled one about 3 years ago, 4 1/2 pounds.
Off the shelf Fender Custom Shop p/u's.
Just shy of mind blowing, built locally.
Could have been the Deluxe Reverb, but the guitar itself was incredible.

Barnaby

Reaction score
I'm quietly building two of these right now. Sugar pine bodies (super light and incredibly resonant) and longleaf yellow quartersawn pine for the one-piece necks. I'll add a skunk stripe and a vintage-style trussrod, but there are people who do them without, and apparently the results can be spectacular.

The body will almost certainly be fine. The neck might benefit from some time spent on orientation and perhaps even be better if it is constructed using laminations placed for strength rather than a single flatsawn piece. It depends on the wood you have, I think.

mux164

Reaction score
dont think do it . but yeah man the body will be fine, i have done 2 bodies straight pine and they are fine, but i would be laminating the neck with a harder wood, i have done 2 necks with a decking timber in the middle and they have worked fine

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Ok guys I'll see what I can come up with. My jr I'm building now is white pine for the body and it's great to work with. The wood is from lowes ( hardware store) so it's bit perfect but this will be a test run or maybe it will be more. I hope to buy some of Jeff's pine body blanks once he starts selling them.

kfowler8

Reaction score
The white pine should be more stable than the Southern yellow due to the slower growth. If you use yellow, I'd either look for old growth or Longleaf. Longleaf is really nice stuff. Grows very straight. The south used to be covered with it but it's been replaced by Loblolly and Slash pine.

kfowler8

Reaction score
I'm quietly building two of these right now. Sugar pine bodies (super light and incredibly resonant) and longleaf yellow quartersawn pine for the one-piece necks. I'll add a skunk stripe and a vintage-style trussrod, but there are people who do them without, and apparently the results can be spectacular.

The body will almost certainly be fine. The neck might benefit from some time spent on orientation and perhaps even be better if it is constructed using laminations placed for strength rather than a single flatsawn piece. It depends on the wood you have, I think.
You ever seen a cone from a Sugar Pine? They're massive. Like 1.5' long. Really cool looking.

Have you ever used radiata pine (Pinus radiata) from Australia? I would think it would be prevalent in Japan.

emoney

Reaction score
You'll find a lot of Radiata at Home Depot/Lowe's as well. They market it as generic "white wood".
Check the tag label and find the stuff that says Radiata. Makes for a much better figure
on the top, btw.

As for the neck, I'd definitely think long and hard about at least doing it as a laminate.
Cut your piece 3 times and then flip the grain orientation in the center strip. But otherwise,
Pine is fine.

fretman_2

Reaction score
I've built two or three Tele's with various pine (lumber, table tops, etc). They've all been great guitars.

Barnaby

Reaction score
You ever seen a cone from a Sugar Pine? They're massive. Like 1.5' long. Really cool looking.

Have you ever used radiata pine (Pinus radiata) from Australia? I would think it would be prevalent in Japan.
There is some pinus radiata around here, and it's good stuff. When I lived in Australia, I spent some years next to a pine plantation. It is a wood I have always thought very highly of.

Never seen a sugar pine cone except in photos, but I'd like to. :hmm:

The local pine in Japan is called 'matsu'. I've made several guitars out of it.

This is one of my oldest YouTube clips showing my first Japanese pine tele (although birdseye maple and macassar neck). The guitar wasn't even finished at this point:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OendQW25X8U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OendQW25X8U[/ame]

mux164

Reaction score
through my builds its been radiata pine, smells lovely when cut, but i havent been brave enough to do a neck of just radiata, as said before i have used radiata and merbau(which is a hard wood used for decking).

although just today i cut some cypress pine and radiata that will glued together about seven times

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a snakehead tele. I know they didn't have truss rods. Is it ok to do this or will the neck warp without one?

Barnaby

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a snakehead tele. I know they didn't have truss rods. Is it ok to do this or will the neck warp without one?
People have done pine necks without, but it's always a risk. Much depends on the individual qualities of the specific piece.

If you are curious, then give it a shot. If it warps, then you can make a second neck from maple and use that instead. After all, as the necks are bolt on, it's much less of a disaster if one warps.

As I said, I am doing some pine necks now, but, if I were selling my guitars, I'd probably want to include a spare maple neck in case of issues.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Ok thanks Barnaby. Might do an updated version of a snake head. They are such cool guitars. I've wanted one since I've seen one. I'm not sure on what kinda tele this one will be. There are so many cool variations.

mux164

Reaction score
go for a tele deluxe or a thinline, they are awesome, but saying that if i made a tele it would be like barnaby's above, i already have enough guitars with humbuckers

bhmcintosh

Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12strings
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only caveat, esp. about the radiata from Home Cheapot/Lowes, is that it can be pretty soft. Make sure the benchtop's clean or you can get dents from setting it down on stuff. Pine does make for nice, lightweight, resonant guitars. Heck, it was good enough for Leo Fender when he was starting out. :)

ihavenofish

Reaction score
Heck, it was good enough for Leo Fender when he was starting out. :)
no it wasn't. that's why he stopped after what, 5 or 6. but that's a different topic.

white pine is not what id consider for any part of a guitar. soft, unstable, relatively weak. I can predict with near certainty the neck pocket will split. there are pines that of course are quite adequate, but white is not one of them.

the neck though is a much bigger worry in your idea. one of the stronger more stable pines might work as a neck back, but definitely not as a one piece fender type neck with no fretboard. you wont even be able to INSTALL the frets. a hammer or a press will drive the entire fret, not just the tang, fairly deep into the fretboard surface. they wont go in straight either, and then they wont hold. basically youd need oversized slots and epoxy to get the frets in. all that effort only to have the surface degrade basically instantly.

if youre going to spend a lot of time and effort on a guitar, do it with good materials. if you want pine, use what the successful pine builders are using, not home depot shelving. :)

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Ok thank you for the information. I'm going to buy some good pine soon. I'm just going to do the body in pine and do the neck in maple. I have a white pine jr that I'm building now. The body blank was very nice and it is great to work with in my opinion. No disrespect to what you have said. Just stating that I haven't had these problems

ihavenofish

Reaction score
a set neck junior would be better in the white pine. the reason I say the neck pocket will split is because of the stresses of the bolt neck. alder and ash bodies occasionally split too.

Latest Threads