Think my opinion of Macs is about to perform a U-turn.

JimmyT

Reaction score
Any of you that are particularly skilled with PCs might be able to help me here.

So, last night my PC , whilst hibernating, just updated itself without any notification or asking for permission (this despite the fact I'd turned auto-update off, because they always break something) and I've just come back from work and turned it on to find that the update has pretty much restored my PC to factory settings. Now I'm having a small yet significant panic attack here due to all of my pending projects from work having disappeared, along with £500-£600 of music, £300 of software, all of my photos and programs. There is no previous save point to restore from and the Hard-drive status shows it as a LOT emptier than it was yesterday.

What the f**k has happened, and has anyone heard of this before?

I've always been a fanatical PC user, but I'm shopping for a new Mac as we speak.

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
Launch system restore, choose the option "choose a different restore point" next and then click the box where it says show more restore points
Best of luck.

PSM

Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but how do you have that much valuable stuff on your computer and not have an external hard drive to back everything up? They're so cheap now-a-days I almost don't feel bad for people who find themselves in this situation. But I do, because I've been there before back when external hard drives were NOT cheap.

Regardless, that sucks to hear. There are programs you can get to retrieve this data if it really has been "erased", because it most likely hasn't been erased, but just marked to be written over (which is what happens when you "delete" something on your hard drive). Google "hard drive data recovery" and start reading. Unless it's been reformatted, which is hasn't, all or the majority of the data should still be there. There are also quite a few companies out there that will attempt to get it back for you, but these come with a hefty premium.

I'd say download and install Malwarebytes just to be sure it's not a virus somehow "hiding" your files and programs, but if it really has been "restored" to a factory setting and you start creating new files and programs, it's going to likely be erasing old data that you want to retrieve.

The other day I experienced a virus on one of our sales reps laptops that hid all documents and programs, including almost everything in the Start menu. Even when plugging the hard drive in to another computer as a secondary drive didn't show anything at all on the hard drive when attempting to explore it, although it still showed the space as being used, which is why I'm tempted to believe yours really was "erased" or "restored". I was eventually able to get rid of the virus and retrieve the data but like I said, it always showed as there being space used up on the drive, unlike your situation.

Good luck.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
It helps to check once in a while that the auto update feature is still turned off because some programs turn it on again.

But I do not understand how you have lost files because even System Restore does not delete files.

teame1

Reaction score
It sounds very strange.
How IT literate are you?
What update?
What software are you running.

It's very unlikely that a virus has done all these things.

Do a check-disk on the harddrive............
Not sure what utility software you have.
You can download disk checking software from your disk manufacturer

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I never heard a virus do this before. Something else going on.

JimmyT

Reaction score
Launch system restore, choose the option "choose a different restore point" next and then click the box where it says show more restore points
Best of luck.

I've tried, there are no restore points available other than the first switch-on.

I hate to be that guy, but how do you have that much valuable stuff on your computer and not have an external hard drive to back everything up?

I do, but because of space/power issues, I only dig it out to back my stuff up every few months and most of the stuff I'm worried about (about two-thirds of the music and all of the essential work stuff) was accumulated since I last did that. When my Mac arrives, I'll get one (or a few) of those really big USB sticks so that space/power aren't an issue. I know, you're right. Lesson learned.

But I do not understand how you have lost files because even System Restore does not delete files.

Just did a Google search and it looks like a common enough problem, just scouring various IT forums to try and get my Bonamassa albums back.

Here's an example of similar issue:
Windows Update Deleted my files? - Windows 7 Forums

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I've always been a fanatical PC user, but I'm shopping for a new Mac as we speak.

ive-seen-the-light2.jpg

0x00

Banned
Reaction score
Hibernation = machine is off
Auto-updates once turned off stay off.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHVZDGf3gPs]The White Stripes - I Think I Smell A Rat (Live Sydney) - YouTube[/ame]

duff

Reaction score
If u think you'll never have your files deleted on a mac, think again. Shit happens, on every platform. So backup your files. I cant' believe people still don't backup. How hard can it be? It's just a push of a button.
I make backups from my backups!
Posted from my mac air.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
It helps to check once in a while that the auto update feature is still turned off because some programs turn it on again.

No, but it resets the pointers associated with programs that used the files so they become harder to locate.

JimmyT

Reaction score
It sounds very strange.
Yup.

How IT literate are you?
Use computers every day, I can fix most simple problems but I'm no IT technician.

What update?
Just Windows updates, no idea how to make it tell you what the update is for. Though the Laptop was hibernating at the time and switched itself back on to do the update, which is why I didn't notice it until this evening. Both of my laptops do this though, so I assumed it's normal.

What software are you running.
What do you mean? Nothing was open at the time.

Yeah, It was fine, then it updated, now it's not fine. I blame the update.

Do a check-disk on the harddrive............
I have, it shows it has a lot more free space but is stable.

Not sure what utility software you have.
Neither do I.

You can download disk checking software from your disk manufacturer
I'll look into it, how do I find out who made the disk. Do you mean Sony, or do I have to find the sub-contractor?

PSM

Reaction score
I do, but because of space/power issues, I only dig it out to back my stuff up every few months and most of the stuff I'm worried about (about two-thirds of the music and all of the essential work stuff) was accumulated since I last did that. When my Mac arrives, I'll get one (or a few) of those really big USB sticks so that space/power aren't an issue. I know, you're right. Lesson learned.

Don't bother with thumb drives like that, just buy a small/inexpensive USB-powered hard drive, such as this one:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Elements SE Portable 1TB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive WDBABV0010BBK-NESN

Just look for coupons or a sale. They're easy to find cheap and it's an entire terabyte of backup space. I have a similar 500GB one with roughly the same measurements for work and it literally fits in your hand. I got it for like $60. They're lightweight, small, and extremely convenient. Many of them now a days come with software that will automatically backup whatever files/folder/drives you set it to on whatever schedule you tell it to (run overnight, etc).

JimmyT

Reaction score
Hibernation = machine is off
Auto-updates once turned off stay off.

The White Stripes - I Think I Smell A Rat (Live Sydney) - YouTube

My understanding is that Hibernate is a zero power-consumption version of Sleep, which saves what you were doing on the PC's RAM. Both of the Windows 7 based laptops I have, have booted up, performed updates and restarted whilst Hibernating in the past, so I assumed it was normal.

Windows update, I don't know that much about, but I have turned it off a few times in the past only for it to reappear.

Also, I don't appreciate being called a liar. If I wanted co make a threat to grab attention, I'd come up with a better story. Superhero perhaps?

0x00

Banned
Reaction score
My understanding is that Hibernate is a zero power-consumption version of Sleep, which saves what you were doing on the PC's RAM. Both of the Windows 7 based laptops I have, have booted up, performed updates and restarted whilst Hibernating in the past, so I assumed it was normal.

Windows update, I don't know that much about, but I have turned it off a few times in the past only for it to reappear.

Also, I don't appreciate being called a liar. If I wanted co make a threat to grab attention, I'd come up with a better story. Superhero perhaps?

Hibernation (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

smell a rat | definition by Idiom Quest - meaning I suspect you've been sabotaged. Perhaps it's got a different meaning in English English.

I've posted with no ill intentions - in my experience the story just doesn't add up. :cool:

JimmyT

Reaction score

lucidspoon

Reaction score
My coworker's sister's computer had a virus the other day that made it look like everything was cleared off. Programs, files, everything.

Latest Threads