Things in life you never knew until someone told you.

KTM

Reaction score
Over 30 years ago a friend of mine who was a custom furniture maker taught me that if you are inserting a wood screw into a hole that has previously had a screw threaded into it, to turn the screw backwards first until you feel the threads line up, then screw it in. If you do not do this it can strip the threads. I also do this with screws threaded into plastic or other softer material. He also taught me to measure twice and cut once. :)

danohat

Reaction score
Same here. Cept I thought it was "dig my herb".

So I did.

Which brings me to this lesson. If you plant horseradish, it will take over everything. Good lucking digging out that herb. It keeps coming back.
Now, if someone would have taught me to make horseradish outside!!!! Anyone who has tried knows what I am talking about.

PeteK

Reaction score
I never knew blackberry bushes were a weed until I moved to Washington. I just thought it was a crop people grew to make jam.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grapes, and Red Rasberry too...

People do cultivate them....but birds eat some and poop the seeds out all over the place....if conditions are right, you get runaway grape vines, I used play war in those all the time...fields of them....the raspberrys have pickers....owie....

PeteK

Reaction score
Grapes, and Red Rasberry too...

People do cultivate them....but birds eat some and poop the seeds out all over the place....if conditions are right, you get runaway grape vines, I used play war in those all the time...fields of them....the raspberrys have pickers....owie....

Blackberry bushes will shred you. I had one growing on my back fence and after chopping it down, it looked like I lost a fight to a frikin honey badger. :shock:

Lots of grapes around here though. I live in winery country.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Blackberry bushes will shred you. I had one growing on my back fence and after chopping it down, it looked like I lost a fight to a frikin honey badger. :shock:

Lots of grapes around here though. I live in winery country.

Down in Tennessee, you can find a lot of blackberry growing along interstates and highways. Lot of good eatin' there. The bushes get so thick that you can see people lay long boards across the top and walk/crawl across them picking berries.

BrianB

Reaction score
"Internet" is capitalized.

It's a proper noun of a "place" like 'Heaven' or 'Hell".

no No NO....it's not a place. It's a thing!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg[/ame]

:D

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not for me.

I can look in awe and wonderment at the field of ruins that is my bank account in my pursuit of knowledge. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

You talk about the pursuit of knowledge and that makes me wonder why when I was at school I wasn't interested, and now at the later stages of my life I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge?

Is it because time is running out I wonder? Or is it because knowledge is so accessible nowadays? Probably the latter.

Anyone else find that the internet has opened the door to much more knowledge for them? If a question occurs to me I can reach for a pad or a phone and have the answer in seconds.....I really love that about modern life. Human development has progressed in line with the ability to store information.

The pity is it's all gone when you die though.

GeeJay

Reaction score
That if you listen carefully you can hear Bonzo's squeaky bass pedal in Since I've Been Loving You.... Must've been listening to it for thirty-years without noticing it... :(

PeteK

Reaction score
You talk about the pursuit of knowledge and that makes me wonder why when I was at school I wasn't interested, and now at the later stages of my life I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge?

Is it because time is running out I wonder? Or is it because knowledge is so accessible nowadays? Probably the latter.

Anyone else find that the internet has opened the door to much more knowledge for them? If a question occurs to me I can reach for a pad or a phone and have the answer in seconds.....I really love that about modern life. Human development has progressed in line with the ability to store information.

The pity is it's all gone when you die though.

I have pondered that same question since I too like to learn and expand my knowledge. I think it boils down to in school, they teach you crap you don't want or need to know. The things I want to learn now are the things that actually interest me so I don't mind taking it upon myself to seek out knowledge of those subjects.

Also, for me personally, I resist authority. It's a personality flaw of mine, but if you tell me I have to sit at this desk and learn this super boring subject that I have no interest in and try to sell it under the guise of "you'll use this all the time as an adult", I will resist. I'm 33 with a successful career and I've still never used most of the BS they taught me in school.

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know my mother dropped out of high school until my aunt told me at her funeral.:hmm:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
That blood comes off in cold water. Some bikers told me that-I used to hang at biker bars. Yes, I had a deathwish.

Brewdude

Reaction score
That if you listen carefully you can hear Bonzo's squeaky bass pedal in Since I've Been Loving You.... Must've been listening to it for thirty-years without noticing it... :(
Thats one of my go to tests for speakers/headphones when purchasing....

Have you heard the phone ring in The Ocean?

Latest Threads