Thick neck or skinny neck les pauls

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Seems counter-intuitive, however, I have small hands and chunkier necks feel better...

redking

Reaction score
I had 2 LP's about 7 or 8 years ago with skinny necks and I hated them. To me, they didn't seem to resonate like I thought they should. Also, one of them was quite heavy - well over 10 lbs, so with the skinny neck, it made the balance feel way off towards the ass end of the guitar. My other theory is that if you prefer low output pickups and more "classic rock" amounts of gain, the lack of resonance does become noticeable, but if you prefer high gain, it's not as noticeable, and chances are if you are into high gain, you are more of a shredder type player and the skinny neck could become an advantage in that instance.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Used to love very wide, thin necks, but the older I get and the more my arthritis bothers me, the more I like chunky, rounded necks. It seems the more there is to grab onto, the less it hurts to play.

zdoggie

Reaction score
my first guitar was a pawn shop cheapy that came in a card board box no case 50.00$ 4 pickups and a myriad of switches the strings were 3/8'' inch off the board I was 13 yrs at the time after much ado I got a new moserite ventures model the neck was like a broom stick in comparison I temporarly lost my mind over it , played it for years and still have it ,the the LP caught my eye I had a hard time transitioning to that neck after years of playing gibsons and an ocasional fender I 've adapted to about any neck. there all good
z.dog

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I've got one of each and similar for my Fender guitars, plus different scale lengths: I find it helps with hand issues I was having as previously I'd have to stop playing for 3-4 days when I had a problem. Then I found I could swap from a slim to a fat neck, or visa versa and carry on playing.

gball

Reaction score
Two of my LPs have the earlier 50's style "baseball bat" large necks.
One has a more 59-ish fat but not-as-fat.
One has a Slim Taper.

I love them all and find them all equally comfortable to play. I will admit the thin one is maybe faster-playing but the thick ones are maybe more expressive.

lostmarble

Reaction score
i took a old paul reed smith put in tim shaws covered pickups wired it like a 59 with a bummble bee 0.022 cap and play it thru a robert henson hand wired amp and there ant another guitar that can touch it. strait guitar and amp

jodybriggs

Reaction score
Started out playing fenders so it's 60s slim necks all the way for me. Can't deal with 50s necks at all.

mdubya

Reaction score
On a Les Paul? Rounded medium to chunky. I don't need huge, though. I am not a size queen.

I have necks of all sizes and like them all.

ES 335 with .8 - .88
Firebird V with the same slim .8 - .88
NR Firebird with a '64 neck .88 - .98
NR Firebird wirh a '64 neck .89 - 1.0 < that is a sweet one
SG Classic with a '64 neck .88 - .99
ES 330 round 50's .9 - 1.0 <some shoulder, feels full until I play the fat 335 neck.
ES 335 with a large '59 neck .92 - 1.xx < noticeably big but playable, sometimes takes a minute to adjust, then fine.
ES LP with rounded medium 50's .85 - .95 < super easy to play, slightly small
Les Paul Special with rounded 50's .89 - .99 < just about perfect. Feels full until I play the fat 335 neck.

I have an Ibanez PG FRM 100 that has a full 3/4" nut. ~.88 - .98 with tall frets. Between the frets and the extra wide nut, it feels HUGE. , it is a handful!

Snakum

Reaction score
I can go fat or thin. I'm not picky.

Especially when drinking. :eek:

Elmore

Reaction score
I have large hands and prefer slim 60s style necks. The fat ones cause fatigue for me on fast rhythm passages. I believe big necks increase the odds of big tone. But I also believe playing your best is more important, so use what is comfortable to you.

dspelman

Reaction score
Guys before I used to like skinny necks but now I feel thicker necks are so much better on les Paul.
I've noticed that as some guys age and their hands get weaker, they prefer the extra leverage of a thicker neck.

I'm a piano player as well, so thinner necks work just fine for me, but I have seriously XXL hands, so I like a wider nut and string spacing. My favorite LP-ish neck has a 1 3/4" nut width, but is only 17mm deep at the first fret (20.5mm at the 12th).

NINFNM

Reaction score
The majority consensus is that thicker necks are more comfortable and less fatiguing than thinner ones. Although I would agree that a thicker neck produces a more pleasant feeling when playing in the comfort zone: thumb over, noodeling with those bending licks… I see that, not only when playing more challenging things, but simply barre chords, power chords, with a low slung guitar, a thinner neck is the way to go. That’s when placing the thumb behind the neck while playing live.

Wonder then if part of the thick neck trend a internet thing for bedroom players. C’mon beat me up.

I think the virtue lies in the middle ground (personal preference about 0,82”/21 mm), because too thin also requires more pressure with the thumb, so the thinnest necks better if accompanied by high frets.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Mty LP has a 60s neck that I really like, but I also have some guitars with a '59 profile and those are great too. For me it's the guitar as a whole, not just the neck.

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
is not BEANO, the BURST gold standard, the sonic boom that brought in the modern era of the Les Paul combined with the magic of a dimed overdriven Marshall combo amp.....??? To the best of my knowledge...beano is a 1960 model LP....If i am mistaken, I am sure I will be corrected with extreme prejudice.

Latest Threads