Thick neck or skinny neck les pauls

R994

Reaction score
Guys before I used to like skinny necks but now I feel thicker necks are so much better on les Paul.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea i like the 59 style neck on a LP.... but i don't mind the thin taper on an SG for some reason.

R994

Reaction score
Neither bothers me in terms of playability... but I definitely prefer fatties! :acoustic:
for me aswell, i would say its easier to play on slim neck if ur not use to playing on fat neck. But once u get that vibe of the fat neck is really hard not wanna keep playing to fat neck. If i want 60s neck i rather go for suhr.

uncle mud

Reaction score
I preferred thin necks on my LP's for years. Then I tried a fat neck(R-8) and found that I play with more control and less flubs with a fat neck that fills my hand. Now I only feel comfortable with a BIG neck.

R994

Reaction score
I preferred thin necks on my LP's for years. Then I tried a fat neck(R-8) and found that I play with more control and less flubs with a fat neck that fills my hand. Now I only feel comfortable with a BIG neck.
i think we ALL had the same experience, like i sold my 60s 2019 les paul slim neck. i mean if ur playing lighting fast u rather be on charvel, ibanez or suhr something like that. i use my suhr if i need to play something fast.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I have to agree, even though my hands are small, I much prefer the chunky fifites C shaped neck on my R9 to the V2 skinny on my R0. The only thin neck I did get away with was on the double cut special with 2 p90's. I think that's why I bought the R0 and TBH now regret buying it. neck does not feel right (for me) others love it.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have read that a lot about thick necks, there is a difference, the R0 is brighter, but the pickups are unpotted with real PIO caps, so cannot put it down to the neck alone. The R9 I have is a particularly good one, even though it lacks the hide glue for fretboard and top cap it sounds mature and mellow. its also very resonant, more so than the R8 and R0 which are also pretty good in terms of body resonance, but the R9 beats them hands down. I think with my three I have a good range of different enough tones to justify keeping them, 'she's' calmed down now about me having them now I am down to three from well, lets just say way too many.

jbash

Reaction score
Prefer larger necks, and rounded necks but too much shoulder drives me nuts. I can deal with a medium but rounded neck (like the original PRS Customs and original McCartys). A Huge D with small frets like some R7/R8s just aggravates the shirt out of my nerve and joint damage. Things like the flatback classic and Epi type necks are also complete non-starter for me.

The current Slash Collection necks are very nice- Beefy, but a nice rounded shape. Less shoulder than my 2014 Trad, and maintains the thickness. Similar to many R9s I've handled.

LP1865

Reaction score
I've never tried a thin 60's neck, my Epi has a thick 50's neck, almost a whole inch at the first fret.
I can play pretty quick on it, and i feels comfortable to me.

stratfish

Reaction score
FAT necks produce better tone + I like the way they play and feel in hand. Never thought much about the neck and played everything and anything I liked. Then read this post by Lindy Fralin (who is in the tone business) and started to pay more attention to neck size... of course he's talking about Strats & Teles - but the properties of a good sounding guitar are not brand sensitive. Good wood is good wood regardless of body shape...

We’ve all heard the “magic” is in the wood and I have come to believe this. Get a light, resonant body and you will have the feel and sound of the earliest vintage guitars.
“To my ears a bigger neck improves the tone of most guitars. The wound strings get brighter and the plain strings get more solid. After buying several “baseball bat” necks and then shaping them between gigs a little at a time I have come up with a neck shape that is big but comfortable.” ~ Lindy Fralin

Best LP necks I've ever had were the full round carves on a Brazilian R4 and a 2002 R7.
I wish I still had both of those guitars - but sometimes you don't know what you had until it's gone. Have chased that R7 and lost her somewhere in Europe.
Had an R8, and it was ok...
Love the looks of a flametop R9. Bought a special-run hardrock maple topped R9 that was a beauty and sold it in less than a month. That neck was just too dman thin for me! No more R9's for this kid (saving $2K in the process! :hmm:) = my next lester will be an older R7!

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an R6 with a neck .965 @ 1st fret, and a couple of Norlins with necks ~ .86 @ 1st.

DEFINITELY prefer the fatter neck. I have medium size hands and somehow the thicker neck forces my hand into positions that help me play better, specifically chorded melodies and alternate chords. I play jazz and older standards so I usually don't play rock & roll bar chords.

And it just feels right. If I ever were to order a M2M from Gibson, I'd want the neck @ 1st fret to be ~ 1.1" with a rounded V shape. No such thing as too fat.

Love my Norlins, but there's just something about wrapping your hand around a baseball bat of a neck ... they even seem warmer!

BKS

Reaction score
Tiny hands here but i love my fifties rounded necks on many of my Gibson.
Weird that sometimes sellers feel they have to keep telling me it has a fat neck if they know i am a woman. :rofl:

smk506

Reaction score
I like fat necks. They’re more comfortable for me and that’s really all there is to it. That said, a skinnier neck with a decent amount of shoulder works too, but the only flat back neck I’ve ever liked was a custom nylon string job a friend has. The neck on that is like a tapered 2x4 and surprisingly amazing.

Standard

Reaction score
I've got big hands but I do like the 60s neck on my 335, as well as the 50s neck on my Les Paul. I tend to unintentionally flex the neck on the 335 though, pulling things sharp occasionally. Probably happens with the Paul as well just not as noticably to my deaf ass. I'm a big dumb gorilla of a person though so that's definitely most of it but it's something to consider.

Latest Threads