Thick neck Epiphone LP

GraphX12

Reaction score
Late to the show here but if you’re still searching, contrary to other posts my 2014 Trad Pro (I) had the thinnest neck I’ve ever played. Felt like a toothpick in my hand. I brought it into Guitar Center and compared it to a Trad Pro II and a Standard. Just eyeballing them side-by-side the difference was night and day! Sold it a few months ago.

Got it online so I didn’t have the chance to play it 1st, otherwise I never would have bought it (because of the neck). BUT the quality of the guitar was A++. Not sure what you mean by the matte finish being bumpy, but keep in mind that the wood hasn’t had the pores filled. On mine the pores were very visible to the eye but I couldn’t feel them as I played.

Craigslist_LP_TradPro_06.jpg

BluesmanRob

Reaction score
graphx12, I bought this one online too. I would have never bought it if I had laid my hands on it. I think my LP custom silverburst may have had a slightly thicker neck. It didn't feel this puny.

When you say you compared your 2014 to the standard and the Trad Pro II, were they both night and day thicker than your 2014 TP, or was it only the TP II that was thicker?

I have really low vision now, so I can't see to tell if the rough feel is wood pores, or just unsanded orange peal finish. I can have my wife take a pic' in the morning. You can surely feel it and my wife says she can see it. The cutout in the body and the headstock are the worse.

GraphX12

Reaction score
graphx12, I bought this one online too. I would have never bought it if I had laid my hands on it. I think my LP custom silverburst may have had a slightly thicker neck. It didn't feel this puny.

When you say you compared your 2014 to the standard and the Trad Pro II, were they both night and day thicker than your 2014 TP, or was it only the TP II that was thicker?

I have really low vision now, so I can't see to tell if the rough feel is wood pores, or just unsanded orange peal finish. I can have my wife take a pic' in the morning. You can surely feel it and my wife says she can see it. The cutout in the body and the headstock are the worse.
The "new" Standard and Trad Pro II were both much thicker than my 2014 Trad Pro. I even showed it to the salesman (he actually liked my thinner neck better - to each his own).

Yeah, sounds like your finish may be a QC problem. I actually loved the finish on mine. The satin neck on my Larrivée acoustic is incredibly smooth with no pores and definitely better, but my Trad Pro still felt great - except for the thinness. Sorry I don't have a pic of the neck, but maybe you can get an idea of the finish in this pic:
TradProFinish.jpg

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
The "new" Standard and Trad Pro II were both much thicker than my 2014 Trad Pro. I even showed it to the salesman (he actually liked my thinner neck better - to each his own).

Yeah, sounds like your finish may be a QC problem. I actually loved the finish on mine. The satin neck on my Larrivée acoustic is incredibly smooth with no pores and definitely better, but my Trad Pro still felt great - except for the thinness. Sorry I don't have a pic of the neck, but maybe you can get an idea of the finish in this pic: View attachment 344653

As I stated earlier in this thread somewhere the Epiphone Traditional Pro II neck feels almost exactly the same as my 2016 1958 Historic. I love this neck on this Epiphone, I like mine a bunch! The Probucker pickups are absolutely astoundingly good pickups.

GraphX12

Reaction score
As I stated earlier in this thread somewhere the Epiphone Traditional Pro II neck feels almost exactly the same as my 2016 1958 Historic. I love this neck on this Epiphone, I like mine a bunch! The Probucker pickups are absolutely astoundingly good pickups.
Yeah, I think I've figured out my thin neck was unique to 2014, or just my guitar. I agree with you Les that the PUs are great! I'd still have this guitar if it wasn't for the neck.
*** Wine Red Pro II Musician's Friend stupid deal right now $349.99***

Pflug

Reaction score
More likely that the difference in the neck as well as the finish is due to it being built in Indonesia rather than the "normal" LP factory rather than when it was produced

Latest Threads