they offered me and sg standard 1968 plus 2k€ for my....

maicolp

Reaction score
i've played a 70s sg with the narrower nut... felt a bit strange but nothing impossible to play.
when he said sg plus 2k cash i thougt... wow
now you guys are making me change my mind

he's back at it
offering a 2014 historic goldtop and a 65 sg junior in alpine white

Dee Bone

Reaction score
68’ sg standard in Excellent original condition w/OHSC worth $6000

Dee Bone

Reaction score
Minnesota CC39 worth $9000 in mint original condition with OHSC and case junk

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've played a 70s sg with the narrower nut... felt a bit strange but nothing impossible to play.
when he said sg plus 2k cash i thougt... wow
now you guys are making me change my mind

he's back at it
offering a 2014 historic goldtop and a 65 sg junior in alpine white
It is clear he feels that your guitar has value and I would be weary of these offers

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty leery of trades in general, at least for higher end and vintage items. If it's vintage and someone is pushing to trade it, there's likely something wrong with it, or it's not as desirable as they're making it out to be (they would have sold it already in that case).

You have a mint condition Custom Shop guitar with no issues, don't trade it away for this. I highly doubt that it will become more collectible or more of an investment than it is, it's not one of the more desirable years or anything. If you play it and like it, offer to buy it with cash or walk away.

maicolp

Reaction score
he has 3 sg's standard 68, 69, 69
one 87 62 reissue white with bigsby
one alpine white sg jr
one 2014 historic goldtop

he told me... chose what you like, but i would love your CC

DaveSG

Reaction score
These 67-68 SG Standards have been going up in value and I've seen them offered anywhere from $4000-$8000, but a good place to start would be to see what selling prices are. I have seen them under $4k, but w/ major issues. With no neck breaks or jack cracks, they hold their value well. Cheapest one ('67-'68) that I've seen in the last year that didn't have a neck crack was around $4500. How much is the CC worth? If it is around $7000, then it sounds like it could be a fair deal for the SG + $2k. It all comes down to the guitar. If you play it and love it, let that help guide your decision.

moreles

Reaction score
Is a vintage instrument always better than a modern limited edition?
No. Not "always" by a long shot. And for the guitar you are looking at, I'd say almost definitely not. There's nothing unusually special about a '68 batwing cherry SG. Personally, I like SGs more than LPs, but the Maestro is simply a deficient, failed design, and the batwing a cheaper workaround for the preferable small guard and pickup rings on earlier 60's models ('61, '62). If you really like that SG, then you're all set. It's not a deal I would consider.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I generally don't do trades unless it would be the deal of the century but that has never happened to me before.
The person suggesting the trade is always looking to trade up, as in trying to gain value.
When a person owns multiple expensive and/or vintage guitars, they will be pretty aware of market value, so don't for a second think they don't know what they are offering.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Make sure to get detailed photos of the area around the heel joint. Those SGs are somewhat prone to breaks there, and often they're serious. My '69 had fracture lines that extended all the way down into the bridge pickup cavity.

Otherwise, I'd say that's a good trade if you want a vintage guitar. The Standard is the most desirable SG and CCs are pretty common (though I'd like to see a picture of yours, to see why this guy is so enamored with it). Is it especially lightweight or something?

Flogger59

Reaction score
Going by the heel it has a V profile. 68 was a funny year for neck profiles, really skinny at the nut, and blooms to a tree trunk higher up.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I think that SG still has the skinny narrow nut width so I wouldn’t go for it as a player. They are vintage though, people really dig Angus Young, and heck people still buy Fenders every day so maybe you won’t care about the skinny nut.
I have a '67 and the nut width is... surprising.
Narrow.

Latest Threads