they offered me and sg standard 1968 plus 2k€ for my....

maicolp

Reaction score
this guy offered me his sg standard 1968 in nearly mint conditions plus 2000€ cash for my collector choice les paul minnesota aged....

is that a fair trade?
sg68-1.jpeg
sg68-1.jpeg
sg68.jpeg

whats yout toughts on that?

Daniel.S

Reaction score
i'm asking value wise because i'm uneducated about sg's
Search that year on reverb.
It’ll give you a good idea of what they go for. Look at the sold listings as well.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

maicolp

Reaction score
Should I do it? Is a vintage instrument always better than a modern limited edition?

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
Better?? depends.

if what you want or need is a tele, then a vintage SG isn't going to be better at being a tele.

but, man that's a super cool guitar and that case is incredible!

kakerlak

Reaction score
Have you played this SG?
Or SGs in general? Nothing vintage is necessarily better/worse than anything new, no matter how expensive either is/was new. Moreover, a particularly good SG is still a significantly different guitar than a particularly good Les Paul. You will find that the whole neck of the SG sits a few inches farther over to your left by way of where it's located relative to the body -- it will feel geometrically different in hand. They also sound quite a bit different and I would bet the LP sustains longer, if that's important to you. Have you played enough LPs to know whether yours is particularly special? If it's a really good one, sonically, it might be foolish to play dog-and-the-bone with any guitar you can't play in person.

jvin248

Reaction score

Old guitars are just ... old.
If they are better players than average it's because some owner along the way had a great guitar tech fix it up.

You can take any modern guitar to get PLEK'd or find a great guitar tech and get the same playability as any vintage masterpiece. Your LP was probably PLEK'd on it's way out of the factory.

When I did a quick search to see what exactly a collector choice was all about it brought up a Dave's in Wisconsin example showing their sales price at $6,000. If the Euro is 1.2 dollars then the 2k euro offer is $2,400 and the trader is valuing the old SG at $3,600 ... that's quite a bit for an SG I would think.

+1 for the ergonomics are different.

However, if you'd like a pocket full of cash and still have a guitar to noodle on ... then go for it.

Will the other guy go all cash to you (I'm assuming you're trying to sell the guitar)? Then go buy an Epiphone SG and Epiphone LP and enjoy the sweet sweet cash on other gear. My Epiphones get all the play time over the Gibsons 'in the fleet', including the Vintage Gibson.

Whatever you do ... be extremely careful with shipping. So many Gibson headstocks break in transit and then the deal goes bust and you get your broken guitar back.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that you'll be disappointed if you do this trade. In my experience, most older, "vintage" guitars are not actually better instruments than Custom Shop offerings. They just have a certain mojo, cool factor, and collectibility. Many have issues that you don't notice at first, and that's why people are selling them.

I wouldn't do it without seeing the guitar in person.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
How can a 50 + year old guitar sound or play amazing with nearly zero wear?

Really great guitars get the guts played out of them more often than not. Vintage keepers come from estate sales.

pmonk

Reaction score
Or SGs in general? Nothing vintage is necessarily better/worse than anything new, no matter how expensive either is/was new. Moreover, a particularly good SG is still a significantly different guitar than a particularly good Les Paul. You will find that the whole neck of the SG sits a few inches farther over to your left by way of where it's located relative to the body -- it will feel geometrically different in hand. They also sound quite a bit different and I would bet the LP sustains longer, if that's important to you. Have you played enough LPs to know whether yours is particularly special? If it's a really good one, sonically, it might be foolish to play dog-and-the-bone with any guitar you can't play in person.
I was asking the OP if he had a chance to play the guitar in question.

99% of the time you know you need that guitar when you paly it the first time.

maicolp

Reaction score
This sg has been refretted so it has been played a lot. I will have a chance to play it tomorrow but it will be a “one shot deal” take it or leave it. I want to be sure not to take a guitar that is worth nothing. I mean... I take it as an investment.

pmonk

Reaction score
Just based on the trade as offered, you are giving up a guitar worth more so not sure how this is an investment?

rabidhamster

Reaction score
I think that SG still has the skinny narrow nut width so I wouldn’t go for it as a player. They are vintage though, people really dig Angus Young, and heck people still buy Fenders every day so maybe you won’t care about the skinny nut.

Latest Threads