They Need to Make Mark Knopfler's 58 and 59 a CC

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
They would be of the Artist Signature series. Collector's Choice Les Pauls are modelled after guitars in the hands of collectors. I think Mark Knopfler actually plays his guitars.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Aren't the Joe Perry and the dude from Boston CC's?

My point remains the same. They need to remake them. Such beautiful sounding guitars.

db3266

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They would be of the Artist Signature series. Collector's Choice Les Pauls are modelled after guitars in the hands of collectors. I think Mark Knopfler actually plays his guitars.
Not necessarily true, Bernie Marsden still owns his Beast. I really don't understand why it is a CC series guitar?

Stoj

Reaction score
MK '58 Burst is my all time favourite burst :cheers:

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Ed King own's his (again) and Gibson is releasing his as a CC... right? Is there a method to the madness?

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
Bonamassa owns Babe...the CC3 inspiration. I think he plays, too right?:laugh2:

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
Man thats a beautiful guitar. How about Gibson takes mercy on us poor people and makes a sig model thats $1000 instead of $10,000

That would be cool.

And honestly, whats the point of having a 59 or a 58 burst if your not gonna play it. its dumb IMO. these are great guitars that were meant to play. I applaud Bonamassa for playing his a lot.

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
I like that idea...a working man's Collectors Choice...hmmm I have an idea for that one. Member Pinefd's '59 'burst...The Pineburst!

Wonderful graining, color...understated, classy, beauty...

Rollingrock

Reaction score
That is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard! I don't mean just the best Les Paul but one of the best guitars period. It is a perfect burst to me. It looks great and the pickups are the perfect neck and bridge tones I would want. Not to mention I'm a sucker for a sexy hang tag spotty! Ooooh baby! + 1,000,000

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Not necessarily true, Bernie Marsden still owns his Beast. I really don't understand why it is a CC series guitar?
Bernie Marsden is a PRS endorsee (PRS SE Bernie Marsden) so Gibson cannot release it and call it a Bernie Marsden Signature. Thus, it can only be released as a Collector's Choice.

If Mark Knopfler does agree to be involved in this project, it will probably be released as a Mark Knopfler Signature, not as a CC. The Artist Signature Les Pauls are almost always pitched one tier higher than the Collector's Choice.

I gather that if an artist does not wish to or cannot have his name associated with the vintage Les Paul (due to contractual agreements or otherwise), it becomes a Collector's Choice. Such is the case with CC1, CC3 and CC8. There are no Signed Collector's Choice, only Aged and sometimes, both Aged and Gloss ones as in Goldie. As for Tom Scholz CC10, perhaps Tom Scholz, in all self-effacing humility, does not consider himself an Artist, more a guitar-playing geek and collector.

slither

Reaction score
I have to agree that great guitars that Bernie's Beast and Tom's 68 Les Paul are, they don't really seem to fit the remit of the CC series and really, to my mind anyway, should be Artist Series guitars.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Is there a method to the madness?
Not that I can figure out.

I second the motion for a "working man's" CC. :laugh2: Hell, just give me a regular run les paul that looks exactly like Frank Pine's burst and I'll be happy.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
That is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard! I don't mean just the best Les Paul but one of the best guitars period. It is a perfect burst to me. It looks great and the pickups are the perfect neck and bridge tones I would want. Not to mention I'm a sucker for a sexy hang tag spotty! Ooooh baby! + 1,000,000
Couldn't of said the t better. There's not a single thing about Knopfler's Les Pauls that I don't like. I would love to hear them live someday. What amps does he use with his les pauls do you know?

Gunslinger

Reaction score
Mark uses Reinhart amps for his Pauls, in particular two Storm 33's into two X4 Marshall Cabs (not sure of model).

For cleans (mainly the Fender and single coil stuff) he uses a single a Tone King Imperial with some custom bits and pieces.

Les Paul wise Mark has toured with his 58' at every single concert he has done since becoming a solo artist in 1996, she does not stay at home, she is very much a working girl!:thumb:

He usually takes his 59' with him as well, so he is a very brave man, I believe they usually tour with a private jet so presumably they stay with him or with Glenn Saggers his tech all the time! :)

He also recently acquired a Pelham-blue Custom Shop 59's reissue which came out last tour.

Saw him at the weekend at RAH he was as amazing as ever and his 58' sounded epic as usual. I do not know of another artist who tours with a 58' and 59' Les Paul on a regular basis and for so long!

He also owns two reissue Sunburst Les Pauls, one custom wired for an out of phase sound and one with his Birthday as the serial number. He still has these and they sometimes get used live and in the studio.

Here is a video of his rig run down from 2008:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnX77qthFgg]MK Tour '08 Documentary - Mr. Saggers in Kettering - YouTube[/ame]

The King of Clean

Reinhardt Custom Amplifiers, Mark Knopfler / The Storm 33, Color Red with White Swoosh, GARA08

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
I agree. they are nice looking guitars with quite a history.

vs.

Gibson has done just about every other famous persons burst. might as well do these.

duck2k

Reaction score
Disagree (sorry to say - and I dig Mark Knopfler): No more siggy series. CC's or regular Historics please.

Gunslinger

Reaction score
But Knopfler actually plays his signatures, he isn't the kind of artist who does it for the money has one photo shoot with his 'signature model XYZ' then never uses the damn thing.

Since Fender ran his signature series Strats he has played them on every tour and they are now his 'go-to' strat. Stock, no mods, as you buy, in the shop.

At some point he may want to stop taking out his 58' and 59' at which point he may bring Gibson in to recreate a replica/clone of his favourite Les Paul. At that point why not release a signature model/artist model or whatever based off those specs?

I don't see why the man shouldn't be honoured to be honest. He played a Les Paul before he even picked up a Strat and he tours with his originals. Pretty devoted Gibson user really.

My Les Paul Classifieds