They Got It Wrong...

moreles

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that's an actual Gibson finish job since it's not just ugly, but really poorly, even laughably done. ("Uh...let's do that unmatched stud thing like the Bloomfield"). It really looks like someone did some extra work on top of the original, but it it's known to be stock, well, it really does set a new low for the maker. As for the price, that's got to be a joke. Really.

swampblues

Reaction score
Funny thing is there s someone out there that will buy this. Not me even if it was $2000, don't think HM could help this one as good as they are. Whats the old saying "Beauty is only skin deep" well this girl is ugly to the bone

zwiefldraader

Reaction score
I think that might be the "left out in the acid rain burst" model. I still don't get why folks pay extra for somebody to beat their guitar up and leave it for dead! :hmm:
What the.......ok....no defending that thing. That is absolutely ridiculous. From the aging, to the location of said aging, to the stupid color. Wow.
Embarrassing. How does that thing ever leave the shop? $9K firewood.
We all got it wrong. This is THE chance getting a 9k player you could leave unattended on stage, dress room, backstage... Without worrying somebody might steal it.

Really well thought of concept for pro players. Hats off to Gibson, this time they stay traditional and are ahead of the market at the same time.

myoldfriend

Suffers from GAS
Reaction score
Ya they got it all wrong, but so have you all... There’s nothing wrong with the guitar, but what IS wrong is the price. Someone snuck an extra “9” into it. TBH, at $899 I’m STILL waiting for a markdown...

Last edited:

rabidhamster

Reaction score
It’s all so bad. Ignoring the finish for a moment, why is the treble stud extra rusty? Did the reassemble it wrong?

And the wear on the neck. It’s fully glossy, then suddenly a hand worth of finish is just totally missing in one spot - hard lines either side and back to gloss again.

Was this the April fools model?

HearHear

Reaction score
This looks like someone way way up in upper management (or a manager's kid) came down to the shop and had this "great idea". Of course, the underlings won't say anything negative about it. I think, and of course this is pure conjecture, if this guitar design had gone through the normal design vetting process it never would have made it off the drawing board. This design has "President" or "VP" or "Manager's kid so shut up" written all over it.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2015 LP Standard Golden Pearl. The finish is a pearloid gold that has a greenish hue from certain angles, and light.

But nothing like that. :doh:

kmasters68

Reaction score
Guys, there is a market for these guitars. If you don't like it, you certainly don't have to buy it. Some of you guys seem emotionally distressed over this. It's totally ok.

If this guitar was 2K, most guys would be falling over themselves to buy it. If you don't believe me, look what happened after the "death scrawl" guitars went on sale.

****Beware! I'm entering my contrarian phase at MLP as a public service to those who like to be challenged and not just agreed with. Let the ban hammer fall where it may.****

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, there is a market for these guitars. If you don't like it, you certainly don't have to buy it. Some of you guys seem emotionally distressed over this. It's totally ok.

If this guitar was 2K, most guys would be falling over themselves to buy it. If you don't believe me, look what happened after the "death scrawl" guitars went on sale.

****Beware! I'm entering my contrarian phase at MLP as a public service to those who like to be challenged and not just agreed with. Let the ban hammer fall where it may.****
Well, you got it partially right. We would be falling all over ourselves to buy that for 2k. The part you left out is that it would never leave the case until it arrived at HM for a re-fin.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Hadn't seen this LP until today............the condemnation is deafening:dunno:
Why why why.........it's a dog:rofl:

However on the other hand 'one man's meat is another man's poison' but personally I wouldn't been seen dead playing that thing....it's aesthetically ugly.....no matter how good it may sound??

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t play that thing at a dog fight! I played a borrowed REAL 1956 Gibson GT LP P-90 for a time back in 1962. It was not well cared for and had a lot of real relicing (As well as worn frets and slipping tuners). If fact, the thing looked like it had been used as a weapon. I had to fix the frets and tuners to even play it. And back then reliced guitars weren’t in style, so I got some rub on gold finish and made it look decent from 15’ away. With the love of reliced guitars today, I would have fixed the mechanicals and just played the thing. But even today, I woudn’t step out the door with that “thing” in the OP.

Pete M

Reaction score
I love that they were too fucking lazy to cut some pickguards with a P90 + humbucker on a $9000 guitar. So just pretend there was no pickguard? Everything about this is THE WORST! It makes me want to poke my own eyes out with a stick.

Usually I'd say sure, someone can buy it and refinish it and have a nice guitar, but in this case I just don't care. There are millions of other better Les Pauls out there. These things need to be put in a pile and set on fire. Then scoop up the ashes and set those on fire too.

Last edited: