They Got It Wrong...

GearHo

Reaction score
Gibson is no doubt capable, but if Bill Nash had made this guitar, I guarantee it would be ridiculed and scorned by many. Its an insult to the aging capabilities of Gibson, and a bigger insult to the consumer being asked to consider 9k, regardless of any discount, 7k. I can buy a lot of Gibson guitar with 7k in this market. But there is an ass for every seat as the expression goes, and you have to be a pretty big one to lay down the cash for this trainwreck.

GearHo

Reaction score
Well, the relic job the CS did on my '54 RK it's outstanding if you ask me. :cheers2:

Here is a perfect example, compare the two guitars, color aside. This aging is where its at, the other guitar is well.....green.

judson

Reaction score
oh shit ...this is gonna push vintage prices up as who would actually consider new with trash like this being produced...Norlin prices will triple soon...you heard it here first!

:rofl::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::run::run::run::run::run:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
They should retire it from the market and redo the entire finish.

I don't think anyone in the globe it's gonna pay 9K for this scrap (seriously, I wouldn't pay 1000$ for this), and it's also awful marketing for the CS guys.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
From another thread it was explained as a Custom order by a Dealer,..... Then he should take it home. A 1956 gold top iguana burst never existed. It should have been marketed as a Dealer Inspired one off...... That would shield the Custom Shop from any blame of retardness. :D

If the dealer ordered more than one,.... then i guess he doesn't mind having an exclusive collection.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
From another thread it was explained as a Custom order by a Dealer,.....
I can't believe something like that, and if it's true, I can't believe the dealer is happy with the result. Whatever was the intention, the final product is wrong. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe something like that, and if it's true, I can't believe the dealer is happy with the result. Whatever was the intention, the final product is wrong. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yup,.... what's even more wrong is the $9K price tag..... it will end up on ebay forever. :cool:

JMon

Reaction score
Someone will buy it. What's the saying...a fool and his money are soon parted? Still don't get the whole "relic" craze. Why would you want to spend four times the price of new for a slab of driftwood from a garage sale in Forgottenville, Indiana? I love the real, authentic relics. They are one of a kind pieces of real history, but a CS relic? Why anyone would want a fake relic, even one faked by Gibson, is beyond me. Oh wait...I remember...a fool and his money...

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
From another thread it was explained as a Custom order by a Dealer,..... Then he should take it home. A 1956 gold top iguana burst never existed. It should have been marketed as a Dealer Inspired one off...... That would shield the Custom Shop from any blame of retardness. :D

If the dealer ordered more than one,.... then i guess he doesn't mind having an exclusive collection.
That really doesn't make sense to me....the whole "a dealer special ordered it" thing. It's for sale, apparently. If I were a dealer, the ONLY way I'd order something that fugly would be for a customer, with a huge, non-refundable deposit, or better yet, pay in advance. According to Mat, the dealer had the option to return it, so even if a special order for a customer who backed out was the case, WTF would you keep that monstrosity? I'm sorry, but something seems amiss. If I'm that dealer, you KNOW that thing is NEVER going to sell for HALF of 9k, let alone, 9k. I also would not want it on my website. The only explanations are, the option to return is bullshit, the dealer really is THAT dumb, or it was a misbuild, f#ck up, whatever, and Gibson basically GAVE them the guitar.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone will buy it. What's the saying...a fool and his money are soon parted? Still don't get the whole "relic" craze. Why would you want to spend four times the price of new for a slab of driftwood from a garage sale in Forgottenville, Indiana? I love the real, authentic relics. They are one of a kind pieces of real history, but a CS relic? Why anyone would want a fake relic, even one faked by Gibson, is beyond me. Oh wait...I remember...a fool and his money...
A fool? Not really. First off, I've never spent close to 4 times the price for any relic I've ever had from the CS. Second, I like the look and feel and I gig them, so no worrying about that first scratch. I also like the bodies/necks. I too love the real, authentic relics, so as soon as you find a 57-60 Les Paul that I can buy for 5k or under, please, PLEASE message me. I will buy it on the spot. Personal preference doesn't make someone a fool, Mon.

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
If someone who worked for said Dealer ordered this thing,... I would imagine it was the ultimate F-U....

"try and sell a dozen of these asshole" kinda thing......:rofl:

Now that is something i would do. :D

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
That really doesn't make sense to me....the whole "a dealer special ordered it" thing. It's for sale, apparently. If I were a dealer, the ONLY way I'd order something that fugly would be for a customer, with a huge, non-refundable deposit, or better yet, pay in advance. According to Mat, the dealer had the option to return it, so even if a special order for a customer who backed out was the case, WTF would you keep that monstrosity? I'm sorry, but something seems amiss. If I'm that dealer, you KNOW that thing is NEVER going to sell for HALF of 9k, let alone, 9k. I also would not want it on my website. The only explanations are, the option to return is bullshit, the dealer really is THAT dumb, or it was a misbuild, f#ck up, whatever, and Gibson basically GAVE them the guitar.
That's EXACTLY my thoughts. Doesn't make any sense. Only future for this could be as a 1.500$ project husk, CS total refinish, HM total refinish.... or firewood.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could raffle that thing off.....for a dime a ticket...

Of course you'd need to draw the winner as soon as somebody buys the first ticket....and run before they open the case...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few guitars and basses with green in some fashion that looked pretty sharp. There won't be a green guitar in my shop for me to look at every day.... Easier to sell black than green...

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few guitars and basses with green in some fashion that looked pretty sharp. There won't be a green guitar in my shop for me to look at every day.... Easier to sell black than green...
It would be a good candidate to get babducted......green is kinda their color....although that may be stereotyping....