They Got It Wrong...

GearHo

Reaction score
We are sorry Henry....please come back. This is just the beginning of the chant for the good wood years when Gibson was building them the "right" way. And after seeing this, those days are here.

After all the bitching and moaning about too many Historics, too many CC's, and the real true historic models, THIS abomination is trotted out. I don't care if it was made as Henry was warming his car in the parking lot to leave Gibson. Is there anyone at this company that thought this looked remotely close to the original, or would inspire anyone to drop 9k?

Its a hideous color, with aging that deserves the cliché of being dragged behind uncle Festus's truck.

I am officially naming it the " embarrassment burst"

Subterfuge

Reaction score
OMG I just saw the back of the neck on the Green Copy .. shocking .. worst example of factory relicing ever ...

guitarded_82

Reaction score
Damn.

I had a feeling that the CEO of Levi's would be all about relic'ing.

They should just make a great Les Paul for $3k and sell more after-sale products, like Harley, to increase profit.

I'm on my 2nd case in 16 years, Gibson could have had that $300.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
I feel really bad for the CME guys. They’re trying to promote new stock but ended up with this abortion as the 1st to show. Leading with a pig

DanD

Reaction score
I feel really bad for the CME guys. They’re trying to promote new stock but ended up with this abortion as the 1st to show. Leading with a pig
Are you trying to say that the reps at CME didn't see this as an abomination?

Are you saying they're blind?

If they wanted Gibson to give them a snatch replica then they should have sent this back as it's pretty f'n far from replicating that guitar. :facepalm:

Fact is they recieved this POS and are promoting it...

CME deserves whatever flack they recieve. :slap:

Crotch

Support MLP Veterans & Vendors
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
They probably have no choice knowing Gibson

Gold Tone

Reaction score
No, I’m just saying that they were probably excited to bring in some cool things but that they let that excitement cloud their vision

Hopefully this one huge error will put them back on track

DanD

Reaction score
Are you saying Gibson is forcing them to promote this guitar?

I can't buy that. Gibson can be brutal to their dealers but if they can force CME to advertise against their will that would be a new low....

Crotch

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
They're not promoting anything. This guitar is on Reverb. No mention of it on their site headings and no social media mentions. They probably got it and were like, uh, ok. Put this on Reverb and see what happens. :rofl:

DanD

Reaction score
Check the LPF. CME were most certainly promoting this guitar and many others.

Crotch

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't frequent that shit hole. you'd think there'd be more promoting going on on their site or social media than a few hundred member board. I don't consider that "promotion". To each their own.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Are you saying Gibson is forcing them to promote this guitar?
Gibson can't force them promote the guitar, but if CME commissioned the project, then they may be obligated to accept it without having the option to say, "Hey this is a piece of shit, take it back." If they're stuck with it, then they're going to promote it in order to get rid of it.

Although the Gecko Goldtop is a complete flop, don't lose faith, the Custom Shop is still capable of creating some killer-looking "Bursts. They just need to stick with what they know best, and leave the heavy aging projects up to the folks at shops like Historic Makeovers.
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?210648-1959-VOS-Slow-Fade-Iced-Tea-and-Dark-Bourbon-Burst!-👊

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
My lightly aged '58 was a very nice example too.

Heavy aged and GT aging are Gibson weak points.