They CAN stay in tune!!!

Mr.Woody

Reaction score
I’ve never understood the bigsby hate...
good st4ing wrapping or locking tuners and it’s the same imho....

it should be known im a bigsby apologist...and probably [mildly] crazy :h5:

go bigsbies!

-chris
Yeah for real. I use some pencil graphite in the nut/saddle along with a little "Super Lube" that I keep in my gig bag for the bigsby maintenance .

dmac in SC

Reaction score
I personally hate Bigsby's' Floyds', Fender or any other spring vibrato bridges, but it has nothing to do with intonation...as has been already posted in this thread, if your nut is cut correctly and you know how to string and maintain, there will be no issues with intonation whatsoever. In my experience, however, they might be a little more sensitive to temperature changes, but I can't document this.

In case anyone is interested in justification for my initial statement, the vibrato arms just to seem (to me) to be in the way all the time, and they tend to lead to 'Lazy' playing habits

dodona

Reaction score
They can stay in tune if you use them smoothly. That's were they are made for and not dive bombs.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Nut files are your friend. I use them on the saddles of the bridge too. Get rid of the "V" notch, 3-in-One oil, pencil lead for the nut, no dive bombs.

christopherJ

Reaction score
...In case anyone is interested in justification for my initial statement, the vibrato arms just to seem (to me) to be in the way all the time, and they tend to lead to 'Lazy' playing habits
Ridiculous.

NotScott

Reaction score
I have Bigsbys on my Gretsch guitars and don't have any issues with tuning or developing bad habits. Bigsbys are no different than any other piece of guitar hardware. If you have a good setup with a properly cut nut and saddles, know how to change your strings properly and have sound technique, you won't have any issues.

Mr.Woody

Reaction score
Yeah, I had never actually tried dive bombing on mine until this video. I have a friend who was saying he's having a hard time keeping his LP in tune, and then I also remembered Les Paul talking about how you should never touch a bigsby until the end of a song because it will surely go out of tune. So, i guess i'm just proving a couple points for argument sake.

Although, to be fair, I think using the Bigs actually helps the LP stay in tune since you're un-kinking anything that may be kinked.

Latest Threads