Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1664652938882.png

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll pick engineers with slide rules over luck. :)
And well trained and disciplined crews.
MR4, hatch blew and almost took Grissom to visit Davey Jones
MA6, landing bag deploy light, reentered without dropping the retro rockets to help ensure that the heat shield remained in position
MA7, control system issues coupled with pilot troubleshooting resulted in landing 250 miles long
MA8 had RCS fuel management issues late in the flight.
MA9, system failures were cascading by the end of the mission... they really did find out how long the Mercury could remain in orbit. Cooper had to navigate manually through retro and reentry.

Gemini had issues with thrusters on more than one flight.... G3 had an issue with a continuous left yaw, Gemini 5 and 7 both had thruster failures. Of course, Gemini 8 was the famous failure depicted in FTETTM and First Man and very easily could have cost us the crew.
Of course, Gemini 6 had the failed launch. Extremely fortunate that the crew did not eject.
There were two issues... and we can call this one "luck"
The umbilical dropped free and caused the shutdown... but had that not happened, the 2nd engine would not have reached pressure due to a dust cover that was left in place, and it STILL would have shut down.
Gemini 9, the stress of attempting to perform the EVA was very hard on Cernan and he was extremely dehydrated and exhausted. His heart rate had hit 180.

Most of the Apollo missions had situations that, not handled properly, would have cost the mission or crew.
Even on the shuttle... Young stated that had he known how severe the damage to the aft fuselage of Columbia was on STS-1, he would have ejected.

TheX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Watched Tim's livestream last night, and of course, the video cut out just after ignition, and when the picture came back, it was just the strongback... my wife asked "did it blow up?"

TheX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched Tim's livestream last night, and of course, the video cut out just after ignition, and when the picture came back, it was just the strongback... my wife asked "did it blow up?"
That would not have surprised me. They are now members of a very small club.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
That would not have surprised me. They are now members of a very small club.
Yep... and it's beginning to look like the only way Bezos is going to get into that club is to buy a flight on a Dragon :D

TheX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Artemis II engines arrive at Michoud. NASA announced that the space shuttle main engines that will power the Artemis II mission have arrived at its Michoud Assembly Facility in Louisiana. Later this fall, the engines will be installed into the Space Launch System rocket's core stage, which is in the final phase of assembly at Michoud where it was manufactured.

Plenty of flight experience ... The first engine, Engine E2047, of the flight set flew on 15 space shuttle missions, including the final shuttle mission STS-135. The second engine of the set, Engine E2059, previously flew on five shuttle missions. The third and fourth engines, E2062 and E2063, are new engines that include some previously flown hardware. NASA has plenty of time. This SLS rocket is now unlikely to launch the Artemis II mission before 2025, given ongoing delays with the Artemis I mission.

TheX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monday, November 14th...

The day that Artemis is supposed to try to launch again.

No real hurry since Artemis 2 is scheduled for May of 2024 at the earliest. To be honest, It may never fly. I don't see much of a future for throw-away rockets.

TheX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SpaceX Tests Raptor's Thrust Vector Control for Starship

TheX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would love to see this thing fly.

Latest Threads