TheX's random crap thread.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a total pain in the ass if your car comes off the tracks. Gotta be a smart driver.

truckermde

Reaction score
As part of my *reduce clutter* initiative, I will be placing things that make me go *Ooo-shiny*in here.

xthread
That would have been my childhood dream come true...

Sitting on the floor with my Dad, doing our Tyco slot cars, remains one of my happiest childhood memories.

Smiles for miles :)

DavGrape

Come here, so I can gaslight you.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then he stands, lonely, warming a pan of Spaghetti-O's for lunch. An aged cat sits on the counter, watching silently, wondering when the bi-ped would feed him.
The Price is Right blares from a flickering television screen in another room...
There would be no Grand Prix today. No other jubilant racers were to arrive. Just another practice session, mile after mile.

Olds442

Reaction score
i think we have a small set. maybe we donated it a few years ago, i have to check. we also had larger cars and controllers for a local slot car track, place. those were ridiculously fast.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was young, my Dad and a couple of his (adult) friends got into Slot Cars. There was a track place with several different tracks. The cars were built from scratch, with rail frames, and all the "after-market" tuning crap you could throw at them. "We" had a 'Vette (I got to go and watch some of the times.)

I have tried to re-create that childhood "moment", twice, when Slot Car Tracks were available to my locale. I still have a car and controller stashed, somewhere. But I have no kids of my own, so it was not the same for me. Still a great memory, though.

mdubya

Reaction score
I have been looking at sim racing rigs so I can experience classic tracks around the world.

A used 4x4 for rainy days and dirt drifting might be cheaper and, possibly, more fun. :hmm:

This is my post-moto reality. My body no longer is able to ride hard (off road or on track) and still work (which is priority number 1!).

Peter M

Reaction score
One of the greatest Xmas gifts I ever got, circa 1980:
tyco-daredevil-jump-nite-glow-ho-slot_1_2f1ac750f24578f197e1b253952c7499 (1).jpg
:

PeteK

Reaction score
I think it would be fun to get into RC stuff. Build a track on any dirt lot.
There was a pretty nice track here in town for like 17 years. I stumbled upon it an thought it would be cool to get back into that hobby. I was really into racing R/C cars and trucks in the 90's. So I bought a kit, started putting it together and before I got finished there was an article in the paper that the local park was terminating their lease for the R/C track. Apparently for 17 years they were all just waiting around for me to spend $500 on shit so they could immediately shut the track down. That was 3 years ago and they still haven't found a new location. I'm sure if I get rid of the truck I bought, they will immediately open a new track though. :laugh2:

scrumm21

Reaction score
when I was attending Ky. Military Institute in '71 a group of us got permission to build an HO slot car track in the basement of the Science bldg. Several of us agreed to bring our sets from home after the winter break. 4 individual sets combined into 1 Large layout. 4 sections insulated from one another. Teams of two drivers. We each had 2 controllers to control car thru 2 sections. (i.e. I controlled car thru sections 1 and 2 and partner thru sections 3 and 4) Total layout if stretched in straight line was probably about 70 ft.

addt trivia inre above - this was in the winter...It was a saturday , we were racing our brains out and I left basement to run back to dorm room to get something. A 1st floor open stoop dorm room - I opened the door to see the back wall of room engulfed in flames ! Roommate had been there earlier smoking, then left. And school was always convinced his carelessness was the cause. We had bucket brigade throwing snow and water on it, was out before local volunteer fire dept made it there.
Getting smoke smell out of clothes was the worst

P.S.- I was an 8th grader there that year. KMI had expanded to incl middle school students to bolster enrollment which had been decimated by vietnam war opposition. I was doing terribly in public school and was why I was sent there. It helped a lot. 12 student classroom vs 30

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Aurora AFX Thunderloop Thriller in the box. Both magnet cars are still there. 27 1/2' of track. I think it may have been used twice and then put away since the mid to late '80s If I remember correctly, one guard rail has a broken upright.

AFX Thunderloop

scrumm21

Reaction score
we had two 1/32nd slot car tracks parlours here in town in mid 60's ( opposite ends of town from each other )
good ol days

scrumm21

Reaction score
I was going to incorporate an HO slot car Drag Strip into my Huge ho train layout - but alas, best laid plans.

I did get my ho gear out and tested everything back in spring ( same gear listed in post above ) as I still plan to do a Drag Strip in near future.
complete with functional xmas tree lite starter

Latest Threads