These Murphy ultra aged roasted mahogany R9's are getting out of hand.

rykus

Reaction score
20210221_134811.jpg
20210221_134742.jpg
20210221_134726.jpg
20210221_134608.jpg

Just kidding. Phoenix burst ,99 Murphy aged...rose from the ashes of my house burning down. Found it last summer in my parents shed... though it was stolen or ??? Wasn't as burnt as my others so I glued a chunk of headstock back on so I could add tuners.

OTPG pickups and rings from my R8 that burned slightly more (no headstock left really) and harness from my 01 R9 with old bee and black beauty caps 50s wiring.

Bridge is a little flat from heat stress and I put the locking TP from my 01 as well..(it almost fully burned :( )

Might paint the headstock??? Oil the neck??

Plays fuckin sweet and sounds heavenly so I may just leave it as is.. got some tuner tips from @pinefd Somewhere here for her but pliers work lol..

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 alarm top?...... I’m not sure to be happy for the recovery of your guitar or sad for your other losses.... anyhow this is a great save.

rykus

Reaction score
I walked away from guitar for almost 3 years... was super devastating and I felt like my top 3 guitars and favorite amp where irreplaceable. But then I bought a very special replica built by forum member singlecut54 before he passed. Got me hooked again and now I have only bought really unique and special to me guitars and amps, so now my collection although way way smaller is much better from a player standpoint.

Might never own another old plexi or 60s custom, or even the few monster reissues I had, but there is such a high quality movement in underground builders I feel I am getting better bang for my $ and its easier to actually find what I want rather than sift through old used vintage looking for a gem.

I am really surprised by this guitar! I though it was stolen as it was the least burnt.. I had kept is stock as it was a weird early Murphy but the guitar actually sounds really really good with the modded stuff of my old players! Way different than my replica but in a good way too, thick and barky with more lows and mids.

rykus

Reaction score
20210221_143336.jpg
20210221_143317.jpg
20210221_143251.jpg
20210221_143224.jpg

Some pics before the "restoration" with my old single cut 54 monster top that burned really bad. :( my gold top is a monster though so I try not to complain too much!

Neck is actually pretty straight for going through a fire, fire fighters blasting hoses then sitting in a shed for 4 years lol guess Gibson necks are more stable than some think...thought it was warped but its the bridge collapsed a bit just had to raise the action up for those middle strings!

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walked away from guitar for almost 3 years... was super devastating and I felt like my top 3 guitars and favorite amp where irreplaceable. But then I bought a very special replica built by forum member singlecut54 before he passed. Got me hooked again and now I have only bought really unique and special to me guitars and amps, so now my collection although way way smaller is much better from a player standpoint.

Might never own another old plexi or 60s custom, or even the few monster reissues I had, but there is such a high quality movement in underground builders I feel I am getting better bang for my $ and its easier to actually find what I want rather than sift through old used vintage looking for a gem.

I am really surprised by this guitar! I though it was stolen as it was the least burnt.. I had kept is stock as it was a weird early Murphy but the guitar actually sounds really really good with the modded stuff of my old players! Way different than my replica but in a good way too, thick and barky with more lows and mids.
Totally agree on luthier built custom builds.... @LtDave32 and his Desert Star guitars have been my newest acquisitions to my collection.... in fact I have two and expecting a third.

I don’t know if I can go back to off the rack.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you have a sense of humor.

Some guys would complain that Murphy should have stopped a little before that point in the process, and refused delivery.
I guess TM thought freezing them was working..... maybe a blow torch would really be the ticket.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Great save! From the pictures it looks like it would only need a bit of skilful woodwork at the headstock end and it could be refinished. Definitely a guitar with a story to tell. Sorry to hear about the other guitars and amps you lost.

rykus

Reaction score
Thanks for the laughs and support. Yeah was really hard time, luckily I had 2 prized vintage guitars at a friend's safe condo because I had some thieves around the area (I had dogs etc but still), a really nice strat at my cabin and another really nice R0 I lent my Father on a long term basis. Also removed some pieces and pickups etc I would have been sad to loose.

Since I started playing again and went semi gear crazy I have been fortunate to find some really really crazy guitars and amps I feel is almost like the gear gods shinning their favor on me lol no if only my income would support my tastes!

guitarbob123

Reaction score
At least you survived, the guitars are useless without a player!

As you said about the underground/independent builders now, there's some phenomenal craftsmanship out there, I'm sure someone like BCRGreg could get that restored to the point you'd never know it wasn't just an ultra-relic.

I guess now when you pull it out the case (not sure any of them need cases if they're this tough), you can really say "this one has been with me through a lot of shit" and not be exaggerating :shock:

joba

Reaction score
Watch GIBSON gets a Idea. Next 2022 NAMM Collectors Choice #99
BURNT BURST $11,000.

Pageburst

Reaction score
Amazing the guitar survived as well as it did. That’s a great story and a great save.

rykus

Reaction score
Well technically the one is a replica... didn't have to worry about the headstock shot in this case.. took care of that pesky Gibson logo and patented open book shape.

Found my tuner tips (thanks Frank!) And oiled up the fret board with some fret doctor... decided what the heck and oiled the rest of the bare wood too. Looks way better!

Ill get some pics up in the next day r three.

Latest Threads