There's gold in them thar black holes!

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Obviously, things have whatever value we assign to them... and that's whether the thing at hand happens to be a shiny metallic substance, a shiny rock, or what-have-you.

Do you guys think that gold-veined, green marble is really valuable? Or would you rather have linoleum or something?

The reason I ask is that once upon a time, back in the era when the Roman Empire was dominant in Europe and elsewhere, the Romans clobbered some group or other in Anatolia-- that is, somewhere in today's country of Turkey.

Having pacified the locals to a satisfactory degree, the Romans then sent forth their engineers to do the usual scrounging for valuable substances and so forth. They appeared to be looking for ferrous metal, from which to make steel for more weapons... but instead they found a mountain-- literally, a mountain-- that had maybe a foot of sand and gravel as a covering overall, but which was otherwise composed entirely of a very lovely green marble with gold-colored veins.

They duly quarried some of the stuff and sent it back to Rome, where it was first observed by the Caesar of the Moment-- I believe it was Tiberius, though I'm not sure... :hmm:

At any rate, whoever this Caesar was, his bottom old lady went nuts when she saw that gorgeous green marble... and so she henpecked poor Caesar into getting his slugs to bring a whole lot more of that shit back, so that she could have her entire bathroom done up in it.

Knowing who the boss was, Caesar then commissioned a major quarrying job to obtain this marble... and the next thing you know, all the nobles and other very wealthy people in Rome just HAD to have the same shit for their bathrooms, their swimming pools, and so forth.

Nobody had ever seen anything quite like this stuff before... and you know how everybody just *gotta* separate themselves from the Unwashed Masses... and one of the best ways to do it was to have your bathroom done up in some marble that had to be imported from Turkey, and which cost a bundle.

Ain't no peasant in Rome who had *that* shit, man. In fact, ain't no peasant in Rome who ever even saw that shit, though I'm sure a bunch of slaves got to look at it every day.

So, it was the thing to have. :thumb:

The Romans ended up absolutely leveling that entire mountain. Today, it's just a kind of a flat space between other mountains that didn't have that pretty green shit in there. The Romans actually took every bit of that shit-- an entire mountain-- and it took quite a long time to do it, too. An entire mountain! :shock:

Meanwhile, a confederation of Turkish tribes got together to try and stop the Romans from taking off with the mountain. It wasn't that they cared so much for the mountain-- let alone that ugly green marble it was made of, which the Turks had no use for-- but just for GP, they kept attacking the Romans, who kept annihilating them every time they did.

So, we can say that this marble definitely had a price in terms of human lives... but what are they worth?

Seems to be a fluctuating scale when it comes to all that. :hmm:

--R

Last edited:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've felt that way about diamonds for years. Why are they so expensive? They certainly aren't rare. Hell, nearly every woman I've ever met in my entire life has at least 1 piece of jewelry with diamonds in it.
Because deBeers has a virtual monopoly. They decide how many diamonds will go on the market, what quality diamonds, and at what price. The game is rigged. They rigged it.

Olds442

Reaction score
Obviously, things have whatever value we assign to them... and that's whether the thing at hand happens to be a shiny metallic substance, a shiny rock, or what-have-you.

Do you guys think that gold-veined, green marble is really valuable? Or would you rather have linoleum or something?

The reason I ask is that once upon a time, back in the era when the Roman Empire was dominant in Europe and elsewhere, the Romans clobbered some group or other in Anatolia-- that is, somewhere in today's country of Turkey.

Having pacified the locals to a satisfactory degree, the Romans then sent forth their engineers to do the usual scrounging for valuable substances and so forth. They appeared to be looking for ferrous metal, from which to make steel for more weapons... but instead they found a mountain-- literally, a mountain-- that had maybe a foot of sand and gravel as a covering overall, but which was otherwise composed entirely of a very lovely green marble with gold-colored veins.

They duly quarried some of the stuff and sent it back to Rome, where it was first observed by the Caesar of the Moment-- I believe it was Tiberius, though I'm not sure... :hmm:

At any rate, whoever this Caesar was, his bottom old lady went nuts when she saw that gorgeous green marble... and so she henpecked poor Caesar into getting his slugs to bring a whole lot more of that shit back, so that she could have her entire bathroom done up in it.

Knowing who the boss was, Caesar then commissioned a major quarrying job to obtain this marble... and the next thing you know, all the nobles and other very wealthy people in Rome just HAD to have the same shit for their bathrooms, their swimming pools, and so forth.

Nobody had ever seen anything quite like this stuff before... and you know how everybody just *gotta* separate themselves from the Unwashed Masses... and one of the best ways to do it was to have your bathroom done up in some marble that had to be imported from Turkey, and which cost a bundle.

Ain't no peasant in Rome who had *that* shit, man. In fact, ain't no peasant in Rome who ever even saw that shit, though I'm sure a bunch of slaves got to look at it every day.

So, it was the thing to have. :thumb:

The Romans ended up absolutely leveling that entire mountain. Today, it's just a kind of a flat space between other mountains that didn't have that pretty green shit in there. The Romans actually took every bit of that shit-- an entire mountain-- and it took quite a long time to do it, too. An entire mountain! :shock:

Meanwhile, a confederation of Turkish tribes got together to try and stop the Romans from taking off with the mountain. It wasn't that they cared so much for the mountain-- let alone that ugly green marble it was made of, which the Turks had no use for-- but just for GP, they kept attacking the Romans, who kept annihilating them every time they did.

So, we can say that this marble definitely had a price in terms of human lives... but what are they worth?

Seems to be a fluctuating scale when it comes to all that. :hmm:

--R
i was waiting for the joe dirt "your meteor is made of compacted aircraft feces" ending to this story.

it sounds like Libian Glass though.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Invest in Crypto Currencies

Takes up less space.

Or this :

View attachment 573819

Just wait until Shib jumps waaaay up.... Y'all will be jealous as hell when I post pics of me buying a Big Mac combo biggee size every week.....well every couple of weeks maybe..... Well, once a month.....

Yep. Headed for the high life....

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've felt that way about diamonds for years. Why are they so expensive? They certainly aren't rare. Hell, nearly every woman I've ever met in my entire life has at least 1 piece of jewelry with diamonds in it.
Cosmetic diamonds are the biggest scam ever foisted on humanity. The market is 100% controlled and manipulated. Depending on what's being dug up, marketing changes from solitaires to "tennis bracelets"
The largest volume is industrial diamonds, which are plentiful and cheap.

Not to mention the human cost in South Africa.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Cosmetic diamonds are the biggest scam ever foisted on humanity. The market is 100% controlled and manipulated. Depending on what's being dug up, marketing changes from solitaires to "tennis bracelets"
The largest volume is industrial diamonds, which are plentiful and cheap.

Not to mention the human cost in South Africa.
And believe it or not some years ago a jeweler I know told me that the way a diamond is cut
has changed and the old way of cutting just doesn't "cut it" anymore.
So old cuts diamonds went way down in value.

:wtf:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could retrieve the molten gold that's in the center of the earth, the price of gold would probably drop to $1/oz.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could retrieve the molten gold that's in the center of the earth, the price of gold would probably drop to $1/oz.
No, because the lifting cost would be astronomical.

Plus, marketing people would let you know that the old-growrh gold is worth more than surface-gold because it is denser due to gravity pushing so hard on it all those years. :rofl:

Howard2k

Reaction score
Didn’t happen when we figured out how to create diamonds.

Price is not based purely on scarcity

Latest Threads