There's gold in them thar black holes!

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spinning discs around black holes may be solar system sized gold forges (look it up) but what difference does it make if it's eternally unreachable?

Good click bait, I suppose, but I didn't click or copy the link.

I'm on a fourth beer, by the way, so my DGAS meter is pegged.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand the value of gold. Humans get more every single day.

They never get rid of any of it ever.

So every second the supply of gold has gone up.

You’d think by now someone would notice it’s not rare.

It’s like Gibson Les Pauls. Always more than before. With Pete Townshend not touring, then numbers available always goes up, and people pretend that the new stuff will go up in value.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm don't own a single rare guitar and only a smidgen of gold. I prefer silver, always have.
Spices were worth more than gold in ancient times because they had a use.

wildhawk1

Reaction score

Rarer than many would think.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had ton or two of gold, I'd buy a island.....

PeteK

Reaction score

It’s like Gibson Les Pauls. Always more than before. With Pete Townshend not touring, then numbers available always goes up, and people pretend that the new stuff will go up in value.
I've felt that way about diamonds for years. Why are they so expensive? They certainly aren't rare. Hell, nearly every woman I've ever met in my entire life has at least 1 piece of jewelry with diamonds in it.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score

Olds442

Reaction score
I've felt that way about diamonds for years. Why are they so expensive? They certainly aren't rare. Hell, nearly every woman I've ever met in my entire life has at least 1 piece of jewelry with diamonds in it.
because DeBeers decided to cash in on all those ww2 vets coming home to marry their sweethearts.

they aren't rare at all. in fact the best diamonds for jewelry, are fake.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I taught with a brilliant economics prof that was also redneck as hell.... He filled me in one day during a smoke break just how damn crooked the diamond biz was.... He told me two families had control of the market and had drums of diamonds stacked up in vaults just to keep em off the market.... Price fixing was an understatement....

When I was in college working on one of my degrees, an old friend's dad got sick (owned a jewelry store) and couldn't work for a good while and his wife couldn't run it by herself so they asked me if I would work for them for a while. Had a lot of fun learning about the biz.... Mr. W told me on one of the times he was able to work a couple of hours repairing watches (he was amazing with mechanical watches). about the diamond biz... He told me to NEVER buy my wife jewelry based on diamonds.... He told me diamonds really weren't worth much and to always buy jewelry for the gold as it would hold its value....diamonds wouldn't.... Markup was beyond freaking belief....higher than furniture.....and that would boggle the mind at the time.... I played in a band with the son and we were playing a big hotel club for a few 6night weeks and I had gotten a room there, drive back to work in the morning and back up to play (hour or so drive)... CHEAP vittles in the restaurant for us (mostly free).... Bud was afraid to go ask for a room so he said he would sell me the set of rings I had picked out at his dad's shop (I was engaged) for 120 freaking bucks I think if I would let him have my room for he and wife... Hell yeah.... Tossed him the key and bounced my ass up front and got another room key. They didn't care... Got her rings waaaaaaaaaaaay cheap and they had diamonds too.... Retail probably ten times or more.... Bigger discount than his Mom gave me, all for the price of a free room... ;)

They let me see their wholesale books.... Good gawd at the margin....

Latest Threads